Do you use a NAS or USB drive

sydney

To all the user using streamers and also high-res music files (FLAC, DSD) stored locally. Do you use a NAS or USB HDD directly connected to the streamer. I have ordered a lindemann bridge and they recommend NAS over USB HDD.
What are the pros and cons of each
If I need to go the NAS way please can you recommend some cost effective options.
Does the router into which it plugs need to support DLNA/media streaming. Im using a TP-Link AX1500.

Any suggestion would be great.

Apparently some users of Allo USBridge (similar product as Lindemann) have commented earlier that NAS is a better option.
My guess, is that the processor will be working more to read off from a directly attached HDD.
Specially if the resolution is higher (bigger file size). Maybe this is why Lindemann also suggests this.
I think some routers allow for attaching a USB HDD and accessing it over the network.

Cheers,
Raghu

I Switched from a USB HDD to a NAS few years ago, The Noise floor is significantly reduced in my experience. If you are using a PC as a Source, connected to a DAC, using usb hdd means data going through 2 usb interfaces. NAS eliminates one usb interface, whereas Router with USB input doesn't change that equation much. My NAS is connected via Wired connection to my PC or Streamer.
Whenever possible avoid a USB interface.

To all the user using streamers and also high-res music files (FLAC, DSD) stored locally. Do you use a NAS or USB HDD directly connected to the streamer. I have ordered a lindemann bridge and they recommend NAS over USB HDD.
What are the pros and cons of each
If I need to go the NAS way please can you recommend some cost effective options.
Does the router into which it plugs need to support DLNA/media streaming. Im using a TP-Link AX1500.

Any suggestion would be great.
I prefer the external USB HDD option. In my experience using a NAS has many external variables that might alter the sound quality - ethernet network, switch/router, quality of ethernet cables, quality of the NAS etc.

That being said, even with the USB HDD, you need to play close attention to the following: hard drive enclosure, it should preferably be externally powered vs bus powered, the quality of the USB cable.

I recently switched from a generic usb cable, to a better quality cable from Ghent Audio - it made a positive difference (this is the cable connecting the HDD to the streamer)

I prefer self powered USB HDD. That is I still use Digione Signature over USBridge Signature though I have both.
With UsBridge Signature NAS is the only option

I use Synology NAS wired to the gigabit switch, and also the streamer (Cuboxi4pro running volumio) is connected through ethernet only. Had been working well for many years now...

I use external HDD with Intel NUC installed with Daphile.

Daphile has option to load (it also convert mp3,flac it to WAV) songs into RAM. once all songs loaded into RAM it starts playback.

So during playback file is read from RAM instead of USB.

I prefer the external USB HDD option. In my experience using a NAS has many external variables that might alter the sound quality - ethernet network, switch/router, quality of ethernet cables, quality of the NAS etc.

That being said, even with the USB HDD, you need to play close attention to the following: hard drive enclosure, it should preferably be externally powered vs bus powered, the quality of the USB cable.

I recently switched from a generic usb cable, to a better quality cable from Ghent Audio - it made a positive difference (this is the cable connecting the HDD to the streamer)

Could you please quantify the difference after putting in the Ghent audio cable, out of the following
1. Oh ok.
2. Hmmm. Good
3. Waaoooowww
4. Oh my God (with wide open eyes).
5. What the **** just happened (open mouth and hands on your head).

Regards

I use my Denon-4500H, the HEOS app streams all FLAC files from my phone's V30 sd-micro card. The denon's 125+125 watts output is nearly as good as my marantz PM6005. I thought about a NAS but, now, its not required. You asked cost effective way..so here's mine.

I use NAS for allo usb signature. I enable ssh on NAS and mount all my music shares using sshfs on the allo device. I think its better than upnp play and samba sharing or nfs from NAS.

Currently i have used a 2TB external powered Lacie HDD, until now didn’t encounter any issues

I have been using an external HDD to store my Data and I play it out via a Win 10 computer and JRiver to a USB DAC.

My Music files currently occupy approx 5 TB on my 8 TB Externally powered USB HDD. They consist of approx 1 TB DSD + 1 TB Hi-Res (24 Bit in various bit rates) and the rest as Flac and wave files. I am phasing out FLAC files where ever possible.

All my Music is 100% Backed up on 4TB x 2 HDDs. These were in fact my earlier 4TB Music + 4 TB Back up Externally powered USB HDDs, until I needed more space than 4 TB for my music and shifted to a 8TB Music drive.

I have very consciously avoided using a NAS for the following reasons:

1. A NAS is a Very Expensive solution. The NAS alsone costs as much as the HDDs!

2. If you want a self-healing NAS Config (No data loss if a HDD Fails, the Cost of HDDs goes even higher, as you will need at least 1 additional HDD in the NAS (depending on the RAID Config you use).

3. NAS Does NOT provide better safety for your Music files. I have had more than 1 friend loose all their NAS music when the NAS Died due to a Power Supply surge / failure. Apparently the Power Supply surge got applied to all the HDDs in the NAS, Killing ALL of them, in a single flash!!!

A back up External USB is far safer since its unplugged after backup, isolating it COMPLETELY.

4. I Only use the Large, Externally powered HDDs. They consist of one or more of the Large sized, Desktop HDDs which have larger platters and are made more robust, with no compromises for size and weight which needs to be minimised for the small self-powered USB drives.

I was in the midst of this very decision this last fortnight. I too have experienced an externally powered HDD results in better SQ. I didn’t have a NAS to compare, but when I streamed to CXN from my MacbookPro using Audirvana from the same HDD, the SQ dropped in comparison to when I connected the same HDD directly to my CXN via USB (which felt more alive and dynamic). I concluded that streaming via NAS might lead to similar deterioration as I don’t expect a Synology NAS with its software to do a better job than MacbookPro with Audirvana. I believe a router in the path takes something away.

I decided to go with externally powered HDD drive and got Seagate Backup Plus 4 TB. For those who need the NAS for its other functions, the equation could change.

A NAS is a Very Expensive solution. The NAS alsone costs as much as the HDDs!
Much more. A decent entry level Synology like the 220+ (just the NAS) is worth four 4TB externally powered HDDs!

My concern is only over the fact that there’s no ‘safe removal‘ option for the HDD on the CXN , unlike on PC/Mac. Could that result in a hard removal when the CXN is switched off, lowering the life of the HDD? Some guys on Cambridge FB group tell me it won’t as the CXN doesn’t write to the HDD, only reads. Any expert opinion on this here?

Does the router into which it plugs need to support DLNA/media streaming.
I’d image the NAS would have its own music streaming capability. But please reconfirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer self powered USB HDD. That is I still use Digione Signature over USBridge Signature though I have both.
Any particular reason for NAS only... HDD not working with USBridge Sig?

Could you please quantify the difference after putting in the Ghent audio cable, out of the following
1. Oh ok.
2. Hmmm. Good
3. Waaoooowww
4. Oh my God (with wide open eyes).
5. What the **** just happened (open mouth and hands on your head).

Regards
Nicely worded question :)

Between 2 and 3. Like in all things audio, unless you hear the next improvement, you think what you currently have is good enough. After putting in the Ghent cable, the sound got clearer, had more musical flow, and less digital grain/harshness. For some, this might be a small change, and for some they might perceive it to be really important to the overall experience.

Going to a self-powered external HDD enclosure had a much more pronounced effect compared to the cable change. And replacing the wall wart with a LiFePO4 battery to power the HDD had a bigger effect.

Not necessarily true. I picked up a USBridge Signature 2 days ago. I have my music spread across multiple External USB hard drives. I also have a Subsonic Premium account and Volumio has a Volusonic plugin. I was going to purchase a NAS ASAP but can hold off for now (to get a BiFrost 2) as this solution works fine. Prior to getting the USBridge I was using Foobar > BiFrost > Bellari Sonic Exciter > Loki Mini > Lyr 3. Now it is USBridge > same chain via Volumio

New Subsonic premium accounts are $1.00 per month, I purchased a lifetime license for $27 back in 2010 when he had a different model.

q

I use a Netgear NAS. Apart from ease of use, I like the RAID setup which ensures that my data is safe. Some of the music on my NAS was purchased at a high cost. I also have some exclusive live recordings there that never made to albums. (Internet is very erratic at the place I stay so can't depend on cloud). To my ears, playing flac files using a USB drive connected directly to my player and via NAS does not make any difference.

However, there is one major difference that is there - 192/24 flac files and above, stream smoothly with NAS but not with USB. From what I know, this is due to limitations in my player.

I am not so sure about RAID being a safe / reliable archive solution.

RAID is best seen as a way to span multiple HDDs.

If a NAS Power Supply fails, it could kill all HDDs in the NAS .... has happened to a Mumbai based audiophile i know.

He paid Rs 60K for data recovery....

I am not so sure about RAID being a safe / reliable archive solution.

RAID is best seen as a way to span multiple HDDs.

If a NAS Power Supply fails, it could kill all HDDs in the NAS .... has happened to a Mumbai based audiophile i know.

He paid Rs 60K for data recovery....

That's a great insight. Will surely think of a cloud backup in that case, especially for the rare files that I have in my collection.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back