Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 setup (budget around 10 lakhs)

bprags

Hi Guys,

This is my second attempt at setting up a HT. The first attempt a few years back didn't happen, but this time I am sure I will get it done.

Room Size :- 16 x 15 sq feet.

I am looking for a Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Setup.

I visited ProFX Bangalore over the weekend. I got to demo some Polk setup, I don't exactly recall the model numbers. I wasn't impressed, with what I heard, I asked to show something better. Later I heard the Polk L600 floor standers in a dual channel setup only and these felt on another level, bass, vocals and highs, but these weren't setup for HT at ProFX. So I cannot comment how these would sound in a HT setup. Has anyone heard these Polk Legend series before? My other worry is that Legend series are all power hungry 4 ohm speakers. I also got a chance to hear the L800's once again in a Stereo setup and these are just mind blowing, but then these are on another level performance and wise.

Later I was given the below setup.

1. Polk L600 - High Performance Floorstanding Speakers ( 1 Pair )
  2. Polk L400 - High Performance Center Speakers ( 1 no )
  3. Polk FXI A4 - Bipole/Dipole Surround Speakers ( 2 pairs )
  4. Polk DSW PRO 660wi - High Performance Powered Subwoofer ( 2 nos )
  5. Polk RC 80i - Round In-Ceiling Speaker ( 2 pairs )
  6. Denon AVR X6500H - Powerful 11ch network AV Receiver with HEOS & Alexa Voice Control
  7. Epson EH-TW9400 - 4K PRO-UHD 3LCD Projector
  8. SB135WH2 - 135" (16:9) Fixed Projection Screen Elite Brand.
I was told Polk is the most VFM brand in India and service is good. I have no idea how true.

This weekend I am planning to visit Klipsch for a demo. I am not a DIY guy and will need some one experienced in the field to set it up.

Any other specific brands I should be having a look at? This setup is primarily for watching movies.

The screen will come up on the 16 feet wall. I have painted the walls in a dark color.

Hi Guys,

This is my second attempt at setting up a HT. The first attempt a few years back didn't happen, but this time I am sure I will get it done.

I visited ProFX Bangalore over the weekend. I got to demo some Polk setup, I don't exactly recall the model numbers. I wasn't impressed, with what I heard, I asked to show something better. Later I heard the Polk L600 floor standers in a dual channel setup only and these felt on another level, bass, vocals and highs, but these weren't setup for HT at ProFX. So I cannot comment how these would sound in a HT setup. Has anyone heard these Polk Legend series before? My other worry is that Legend series are all power hungry 4 ohm speakers. I also got a chance to hear the L800's once again in a Stereo setup and these are just mind blowing, but then these are on another level performance and wise.

6. Denon AVR X6500H - Powerful 11ch network AV Receiver with HEOS & Alexa Voice Control
I was told Polk is the most VFM brand in India and service is good. I have no idea how true.

This weekend I am planning to visit Klipsch for a demo. I am not a DIY guy and will need some one experienced in the field to set it up.

Any other specific brands I should be having a look at? This setup is primarily for watching movies.

The screen will come up on the 16 feet wall. I have painted the walls in a dark color.
10L is a very good budget. Why not plan separates instead of avr which will definitely be way better. Other wise you can get Denon 4500 and get a good power amp for LCR. Many don’t consider xtz but they have an amazing speaker line up but not very expensive to its counter parts so give it a try. All xtz speakers and subwoofers come with sound tuning options.Surround swar is the main dealer and they not only deal with xtz also PSA which are monsters when it comes to subwoofers. They are very customer friendly and will help in setting up ur HT using xtz pro calibration tool as well.May be they can workout a good discount if u plan xtz or PSA. The other usual suspects are Dali, q acoustics, svs, kef, Elac and many more.

10L is a very good budget. Why not plan separates instead of avr which will definitely be way better. Other wise you can get Denon 4500 and get a good power amp for LCR. Many don’t consider xtz but they have an amazing speaker line up but not very expensive to its counter parts so give it a try. All xtz speakers and subwoofers come with sound tuning options.Surround swar is the main dealer and they not only deal with xtz also PSA which are monsters when it comes to subwoofers. They are very customer friendly and will help in setting up ur HT using xtz pro calibration tool as well.May be they can workout a good discount if u plan xtz or PSA. The other usual suspects are Dali, q acoustics, svs, kef, Elac and many more.
Agree with you on separates and also on XTZ setup!

With a budget of 10lacs I won't buy either Polk or Denon
Better go for AV processor and Power Amps.
I would also recommend using 2 subs... Which will make it 7.2.4 setup.
Also, please spare some budget for acoustic panels/sound proofing.

Even if u buy the polk 5 speakers,skip their subs, with ur budget u can easily get gud qlty svs,xtz or rythmik subs.
Also when visiting Cinebels for klipsch, do listen to their jamo d600 thx ultra2 package, they r amazing.

There are some questions whose answer shall help other fms help you:
Your source - streaming/ storage /cable tv / music
Your expertise in HT setup and calibration
Your room acoustics
Your expectations- chest slam or rumbling or mid bass or vocals
Your choice in freq- u like clear vocals or mid range or bass head
Your usage — daily or weekend with friends n family to impress
Equipment availability n service in ur area.
Power status in ur house -as HT need more power n clean power.
How many ppl like to enjoy ur passion.. that dictates how ur equipment be easy to use , sturdy, expansion etc also if family also wanna enjoy take them for auditioning.
How much space you have that is free from dust and disturbance for these sensitive equipment
Polk speakers are good but need more power. Kefs are better.

Thanks for the kind words arunkvivek.

Denon AVR X6500H - Powerful 11ch network AV Receiver with HEOS & Alexa Voice Control

With a healthy budget, i would suggest you to consider Denon x 6700, a 13.2 (pre-outs) capable AVR.. You can either do a 9.2.4 (or) a 7.2.6 set-up with Dts X Pro.. Since this AVR has pre-outs, you can add power amplifiers later at your convenience & budget..

Since your are building the set-up from scratch, i would suggest you to consider 13 identical speakers (Bookshelf Speakers) all around the room.. Up to you to choose what you like based on the budget..

If this is a dedicated room, would also suggest an Acoustic transparent screen with L-C-R behind the screen, as well as plan acoustics for the room behind the screen where you can hide them..

I would suggest get a av processor and add in amps to power ur speakers will be better any day than an av receiver,you have really good budget so invest wisely

Av processor + amps = at least 3.5 lakhs( getting good quality amps in this price would still be an issue)
Projector+screen another 3 lakhs.
Subwoofer 1- 1.5 lakhs
Cables etc 50k
1.5 lakhs to 2 lakhs left for speakers if 10 lakhs is your budget..

I would rather suggest a decent AVR with preouts and use power amps for the LCR. This way you can buy good amp for your LCR and also have sightly more budget for speakers.

Good luck :)

Y
Av processor + amps = at least 3.5 lakhs( getting good quality amps in this price would still be an issue)
Projector+screen another 3 lakhs.
Subwoofer 1- 1.5 lakhs
Cables etc 50k
1.5 lakhs to 2 lakhs left for speakers if 10 lakhs is your budget..

I would rather suggest a decent AVR with preouts and use power amps for the LCR. This way you can buy good amp for your LCR and also have sightly more budget for speakers.

Good luck :)
Yes get a denon x6500 with an emotiva xpa3 which should cost u about 3.5 lakh, for subs you could choose rythmik, or svs or xtz subs you could get xtz 12.17 for 1.5 l, rythmik nd svs duals would ho above 2 lakh, speakers you can have a wide variety i would suggest to invest more in the left right nd center speakers, rest can be decent speakers.im sure with a 10 lakh budget u can build a great theater

Why not Anthem? A good pre with the DIRAC would be a killer. Also another would be emotiva for pre and power. Speakers could be as suggested xtz or maybe B&W, focals, proceeds etc. Sub may be HSU, SVS, REL etc. A large high quality oled would beat any projector (make sure you get a full warranty) player oppo 205 if you can still get it! Hight quality streamer also.
Just another take. Rest can be cabling and accoustics
Whatever you buy RESEARCH WELL.

Why not Anthem? A good pre with the DIRAC would be a killer. Also another would be emotiva for pre and power. Speakers could be as suggested xtz or maybe B&W, focals, proceeds etc. Sub may be HSU, SVS, REL etc. A large high quality oled would beat any projector (make sure you get a full warranty) player oppo 205 if you can still get it! Hight quality streamer also.
Just another take. Rest can be cabling and accoustics
Whatever you buy RESEARCH WELL.
Anthem pre or emotiva processor power amp combination will take half of the budget.
Hsu isn't available in India.
such a big OLED TV will cost 6-7 lakhs.
Oppo player .. who will give warranty on oppo ?

For sheer size a projector will beat a OLED hands down and for cinematic experience size matters .

This is my personal opinion based on my research and experience.

Good luck.

Y

Yes get a denon x6500 with an emotiva xpa3 which should cost u about 3.5 lakh, for subs you could choose rythmik, or svs or xtz subs you could get xtz 12.17 for 1.5 l, rythmik nd svs duals would ho above 2 lakh, speakers you can have a wide variety i would suggest to invest more in the left right nd center speakers, rest can be decent speakers.im sure with a 10 lakh budget u can build a great theater
How are you sure that he needs dual Subwoofers ?
In certain cases a single good subwoofer can give flat bass, this can save 50k to 100k of the buyer.

Hi Guys,

With such a healthy budget, all I would like to say is please take all the time in the world and evaluate all the suggestions given here. Read up the Home theatre section for further information. Do try and listen to as many brands as you can. It doesn't matter which is the leading brand, end of the day you alone are going to enjoy the system.

Polk are certainly vfm and sadly very under rated but that's not the discussion here. You have mentioned setting up a 7.2.4 setup. Start off listening to various speakers and finalize on them first. The first priority in the budget should be the speakers. Get a 5.1.2 or a 5.2.2 first, add more later.

Check out Dolby website for their recommended speaker placements, the angles etc. More often, spending a fortune on good stuff and placing them improperly will sound horrible. Too many floor standers for example.

Solid suggestion by Fm @elangoas to have identical BS speakers all around. AVR with full 9.2 or 11.2 preouts should be preferred.

Personally, I would seriously consider Yamaha 3080 AVR, with Dynaudio M20 book shelves all around, or even Dali Obberon or SVS series speakers. I would trust Yamaha to handle hard to drive speakers more than Marantz or Denon. Since Dynaudio produces astonishingly good clean bass, I would balance it with tighter subs like Klipsch for the punch and slam. Rhythmik, Sunfire, SVS subs are also good. An all Tannoy setup would be damn good as well.

While considering speakers, lot of factors such as how they can be placed/ mounted should also be considered. Stands, wall mount, ceiling mount, threaded inserts, key hole bracket etc. If you like bass, by all means plonk 4 subs. There's no such thing as enough subs. If so you can get smaller book shelves and plonk 9 of them if you want.

Do allocate part of your budget for room treatment as well. You could get an AVR pre with sophisticated room correction software, but they can't do their real magic in an awkward room. Most of what you hear is your room.

This hobby rewards those who are patient, which unfortunately I don't have. Just my humble 2 cents. Good luck. Stay safe. It's not about the gear or the brand or the budget, it all comes down to how we want to hear and see it.

Last edited:
In any hometheater environment, the speakers dont get outdated for atleast a decade so you can invest a good sum in the front 3 speakers without worries. A good speaker will sound good even after 10+ year.
*Get a decent AVr like the Denon AVR X4500 or the X4600 or the Marantz SR7013 at good offer price (around Rs.1.2L to 1.7L). If you invest too much on AV receivers (or the Pre/Pro )then you may be disappointed in a couple of year as AV receivers tend to get new technologies every year. However, if you feel the power is insufficient then you can get a good power amp in the future (Like good speakers, the Power amp also wont get outdated and will last atleast for a decade).
*In a Hometheater setup, along with the front 3 speakers, the Subwoofers are the most important components. So I would invest in a pair of very good subwoofer like Rythmik FV15Hp ( Rs.1.5L X 2 = 3L). Without good subwoofers, any hometheater setup will be useless or incomplete especially when your total budget is around 10L. And never buy subwoofers from the speaker brands as they are not as good as the dedicated subwoofer brands like Rythmik, SVS, XTZ and PSA (PSA is very good in the US but over prices in India) for the money that you pay.
(Also get a UMIK-1 and a MiniDsp 2X4HD if possible)
*IF you listen to STEREO MUSIC frequently then you can get musical sounding Floorstands for the front Left and Right speakers like the Elac Debut Reference or the UniFi or the Fyne Audio F502 or the Focal 926 (which is on offer online for around 1.5L (3L MRP)) or KEF R series or Q Series or the Revels (Rs.1.5L to 2L approx)
*IF your setup is purely for Movies then you can invest in speakers like the SVS or Klipsch or Polk and if possible you can get PSA Speakers and in the extreme case you can get JTR Speakers which will walk all over any speakers that I have mentioned so far. But JTR will be expensive and PSA isn't.
*Get the matching Center Channel Speakers (Rs.50K to Rs.1L)
*For the Surround and Back, get the matching bookshelf speakers (Rs.60K/pair approx so Rs.1.2L for 2 pairs)
*For the Atmos speakers, you dont have to invest much. You can even get a pair of Dali Alteco C-1 or the similar SVS Speaker. Even Satellite Speakers would suffice (2 pairs Rs.60K to Rs.1L approx)
*For Cables, you dont have to invest more than 20k in total. The Amazon Basics 14awg Oxygen Free cables are good starting point. For Subs also the Amazonbasics cabiel are good.
*And finally, spend around 20K to 50K on the room acoustics. You just have to use Acoustic panels at the 1st reflection point, Behind the Speakers and some Bass traps if needed and a good Carpet for the Floor.
(Try to audition as many speakers as possible because our suggestions may not satisfy you as different people prefer different sound)
Now the total cost is around 9L
If you prefer TV the get a decent 65" LED TV or a decent projector, which ever you prefer.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Y

I think you quoted double the price for the XTZ 12.17s which ive seen for around 79K. You can get an XTZ Sub1x12 for approx 87K and that sub is a beast!

I think you quoted double the price for the XTZ 12.17s which ive seen for around 79K. You can get an XTZ Sub1x12 for approx 87K and that sub is a beast!
Where did you get these quotes? The 1*12 has a mrp of 1.29L so 87k is a very good price

Last edited:
How are you sure that he needs dual Subwoofers ?
In certain cases a single good subwoofer can give flat bass, this can save 50k to 100k of the buyer.
Coz he said he is looking for a 7.2.4 setup, simple. I assumed he was looking for dual subs nd its always good to have 2 sub's instead of one rite,atleast thats what i have heard from HT experts

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back