DVD or Bluray player with good cd playback

neo

Hey!
I'm aware this topic has been discussed on this forum umpteen times but as a stop gap I'm looking for a video disc player with good or decent playback capabilities.
I had tried to get my hands on the oppo 983 but was unavailable when one of my friends was in the US & now it seems I??ll have to wait a bit longer before one of my acquaintance can get one form the US.

The other options are the denon 1940, marantz 6002(Could be expensive arnd 35k in grey) 0r the new panasonic bluray player bd-30.

Which of the above should I settle for? Or should I wait for someone to get the oppo??

Wait for the Oppo.
I got my brother to bring in the Oppo DV 981 HD last year & its an amazing Universal player Very, very good CD playback( it'll perform on par with standalone CD players selling for upto Rs 30 k here), & Video capabilities to blow your mind!
The DV 983 HD is even better reportedly, both on the Audio/ video front.
At $229 for the 981 & $399 for the 983, you won't find better value for your money.

Also look at the following product introduced by Pioneer:

Pioneer DV-LX50
  • A Universal DVD Player, which has a dedicated Audio Board and Power Supply shield for Pure Audio.
  • Also consists of dedicated Gold Plated RCA jacks for 2 Channel Analogue Audio (See rear pics)
  • DV-LX50

The same Model in US is sold by name of Pioneer Elite DV-58Pioneer USA - Elite DVD Players available @around $350.

Review:
Pioneer Elite DV-58AV universal player review - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Hey!
I'm aware this topic has been discussed on this forum umpteen times but as a stop gap I'm looking for a video disc player with good or decent playback capabilities.
I had tried to get my hands on the oppo 983 but was unavailable when one of my friends was in the US & now it seems I??ll have to wait a bit longer before one of my acquaintance can get one form the US.

The other options are the denon 1940, marantz 6002(Could be expensive arnd 35k in grey) 0r the new panasonic bluray player bd-30.

Which of the above should I settle for? Or should I wait for someone to get the oppo??

What about the PS3 in india: decent upscaling, great blu ray, cd playback, hard drive, gaming console
audio cd's shouldnt be all that bad since its all digital hdmi, your receiver dacs can handle it.

Panasonic Blu ray player wouldnt the region coding be a problem.

Thanks for all the replies.

I??m goin to use a stereo amp + I??m using a crt display at the moment & so PS3 is out of the question.

Ishlesh Thanks for the link to an interesting thread. I??ll check out the pio. Do you know the price in India??

The Panasonic is an Asia model so I guess region coding won??t be problem. Is it a good audio player???

Thanks for all the replies.

I??m goin to use a stereo amp + I??m using a crt display at the moment & so PS3 is out of the question.

Ishlesh Thanks for the link to an interesting thread. I??ll check out the pio. Do you know the price in India??

Checked with one of the Dealers in Bangalore (Pro Audiotronics - 41529090) - quoted Rs. 35000/-

do also check out the cambridge audio 540D dvd player has a seperate DAC,analog stereo out for the audio,apart from the 5.1 ch audio out retails for around 18000 in bangalore.

Thanks ishlesh does the asian verion of the pio also have a pure audio mode??

Has any one heard the cd playback of the pana bluray???

Hi neo,
Yes! Nice information that you have shared with us.
Thank you very much!

>>Has any one heard the cd playback of the pana bluray???

The BD30 CD playback is above average. It compares well with other similarly priced DVD players. The volume is a bit lower, so you would need to adjust that before comparing.
Of course my NAD C542 is a bit warmer and more refined.

I would not buy a DVD player now, just because it plays CDs slightly better than a Blu-ray player. You would be compromising on both audio as well as video. It is better to buy a Blu-ray player for movies, and a dedicated budget CD player, if you are not satisfied with the CD sound.

Which CD player are you using right now?

Thanks,
Sharad

Hey! Thanks for the adviceSharad my friend, but sadly the advice is just a bit late in the day. As I??ve already bought a Oppo 983.
Yes I was contemplating as to get a Pana bluray, as in the long run I would've compromised on the video as well as audio. But I was unable to get a listen to the pana before i got the Oppo.
On comparing the Oppo sounds a bit better, also i would've spent arnd 30k instead of 18k on a avg bluray payer with avg sound or i would??ve have to get the pioneer lx-70a which 80k in bill or 63 in grey.
As for my cd player- on another set up(Nad320bee/Dyn aud52) I??m using the nad 542.
Though I??ve yet to burn & use the Oppo extensively I get the feeling that the Nad does sound much warmer & refined compared to the Oppo.
Thanks again.
Cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back