DVD player suggestion in place of Pioneer 610

stalion

hey guys I wanted to buy the Pioneer 610 but came to know from Alpha in mumbai that 610 has been phased out. There is another Pioneer dvd player model 420 however that too seems out of stock. Can anybody recommend any other dvd payer in the Rs. 6000 range. Also any idea how 420 is compared to 610. I have a Samsung Series 7 LCD and a Onkyo 5205 Home theatre. Thanks

Check with Irfan at Sound Out, Heera Panna if he has any stock available. You could also check Fair Deal Electronics at Manish Market. A universal player having all features of the 610 and at the price will be hard to find.

If you are not worried about SACD and Audio DVD, the Pioneer DV-220 at 4,500 is a good buy. I have tested it thoroughly for about a week and liked what it delivered. I will be positing a detailed report.

It is a very simple player that can play DVD, upcaling them to 1080P, has an USB, and plays the usual computer based movies and other files. It also rips Redbook CDs to upto 320kbps MP3 files of reasonably good quality.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you are not worried about SACD and Audio DVD, the Pioneer DV-220 at 4,500 is a good buy. I have tested it thoroughly for about a week and liked what it delivered. I will be positing a detailed report.

It is a very simple player that can play DVD, upcaling them to 1080P, has an USB, and plays the usual computer based movies and other files. It also rips Redbook CDs to upto 320kbps MP3 files of reasonably good quality.

Cheers

Venkat,

If i play a DVD with a bunch of mp3 songs in it, will it play in the pioneer ?

Another main difference is in the audio DAC of DV-220 and 610
DV-220 - 96KHz / 24bits DAC
DV-600/610 - 192 KHz / 24bits

So I believe the Audio playback will be better in 610.

Thanks,
Sunil

Thanks,
Sunil

Sunil,

Are those numbers a fair indicator of audio clarity ? Then why not sony ? Look at the one in the link DVP-NS728HP : DVD Player : DVD/HDD Players : Sony India
It too has a Audio DAC of 192/16. Pioneer is 192/24

To answer some of the points raised about the 220.

1. In terms of connectivity, the player had an HDMI Out, a composite out, a component out (Pb, Pr, Py), and digital co-axial out. Nothing else.

2. Here are the audio specs:

MULTI CHANNEL
44.1 kHz to 96 kHz, 16-bit/ 20-bit/ 24-bit 2-channel linear PCM audio (including 2-channel downmixing)
Dolby Digital 5.1-channel audio
DTS 5.1-channel audio
MPEG audio

TWO CHANNEL
Audio output (stereo L/ R)
Audio output level..................... 200 mVrms (1 kHz, -20 dB)
Output terminal.........................RCA terminal
Frequency response...................4 Hz to 44 kHz
S/ N ratio.................................114 dB
Dynamic range...........................84 dB
Total harmonic distortion.............0.01 %
Wow and flutter.........................Below measurable limits (0.001 % W. PEAK)

OTHERS
Windows Media Audio (WMA)
Sampling frequencies: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz
Bit rate: Up to 192 kbps

MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 (MP3)
Sampling frequencies: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz

3. Yes, the player does handle CDs with MP3 songs.

Folk, this is a very simple player. Please do not look at it being an audiophile product. It does what it is supposed to do quite well. For multichannel audio, the best is to the send the data in raw format and let the AVR handle it.

It plays DVD, AVI and such files quite well. The video is quite decent. Connected to a Denon 2310 that decodes the multi channel audio, I was hard pressed to question the capabilities of this player.

If you are looking for other tasks, you have look up in the value chain. The OP wanted something under 6K, and the Pioneer 220 fits that quite well.

Cheers

Thanks,
Sunil

Sunil,

I found this, The 192 KHz / 24bits is for DVD audio where as a normal cd plays in 96KHz / 16bits. This does not mean the audio clarity from a audio cd will be higher, only that the 610 is capable of playing DVD audio. :cool:
HowStuffWorks "How DVDs Work"

Venkat,
Where did you buy the DV220 from ?

Last edited:
purchased Pioneer DV 220K player from Kolkata authorised dealer @ 5250 with warranty. I know the price is on a higher side, but it's difficult to get original Pioneer stuff from grey market in Kolkata. So decided to buy from this dealer (Japonica Int at Minto Park)

This is really a decent upscaling DVD player with superb audio clarity ( I kept the EQ setting to OFF position which is also default setting.)

PQ is excellent with a slight tweak in video settings as I like vivid color setting. There is one component/ composite/ HDMI/ Coaxial output with a MIC in for karaoke feature.

I'm using component cable and looking for a budget HDMI cable ( MX cables are good na ). BTW this player is attached with a Samsung LCD in my bedroom.

I have tested WD element 160 GB Ext HDD ( formatted in FAT 32 and without ext power ) in USB port and it worked without any hitch. I have tested with avi files only.

I must say playing audio CD is also good experience. This player is attached with a vintage Sonodyne Uranus 2 gear. And the speakers are 2.1 out with ICON subwoofer and two Sonodyne bookselves. Geting each music instrument note with clear audio separation. MP3 format is also upscaled with fine clarity. What else can expect from a DVD player.

In a nutshell, this is really a good budget DVD player.

I also found one con like there is no 5.1 out in this player. So I have to listen the sound thru Amp only. Cannot attach the audio out to TV at the same time. Probably buying a HDMI cable would resolve this issue.

There is also a surround sound feel thru 2 audio channel feature included in this player.

Thanks to Venkat Sir and all for this review. Pioneer 610 is now phased out.

Sourav

purchased Pioneer DV 220K player from Kolkata authorised dealer @ 5250 with warranty. I know the price is on a higher side, but it's difficult to get original Pioneer stuff from grey market in Kolkata. So decided to buy from this dealer (Japonica Int at Minto Park)

This is really a decent upscaling DVD player with superb audio clarity ( I kept the EQ setting to OFF position which is also default setting.)

PQ is excellent with a slight tweak in video settings as I like vivid color setting. There is one component/ composite/ HDMI/ Coaxial output with a MIC in for karaoke feature.

I'm using component cable and looking for a budget HDMI cable ( MX cables are good na ). BTW this player is attached with a Samsung LCD in my bedroom.

I have tested WD element 160 GB Ext HDD ( formatted in FAT 32 and without ext power ) in USB port and it worked without any hitch. I have tested with avi files only.

I must say playing audio CD is also good experience. This player is attached with a vintage Sonodyne Uranus 2 gear. And the speakers are 2.1 out with ICON subwoofer and two Sonodyne bookselves. Geting each music instrument note with clear audio separation. MP3 format is also upscaled with fine clarity. What else can expect from a DVD player.

In a nutshell, this is really a good budget DVD player.

I also found one con like there is no 5.1 out in this player. So I have to listen the sound thru Amp only. Cannot attach the audio out to TV at the same time. Probably buying a HDMI cable would resolve this issue.

There is also a surround sound feel thru 2 audio channel feature included in this player.

Thanks to Venkat Sir and all for this review. Pioneer 610 is now phased out.

Sourav

Does it play mkv files? 720p/1080p files?

Thanks

Hi All,

I have been trying very hard to get hold of an authorised pioneer dealer in Hyderabad to buy the DV 220 / 420 so that I can buy it with India Warranty.

Any pointers ?! Need urgent help from experts here :) !

-Beetle

Check at vector Systems, Nagarjuna Circle, Hyderabad. They will source it for you. They are good people and very nice/cordial to deal with.

Phone number: 040 23350099.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the Reply Anooj. I did check with them, They are very cordial and nice folks but the price for the DV 220 seem to be on the higher side compared to what every one else on this forum seems to be paying. May be it is because they are importing it. I will probably have to go ahead and buy from them since there is no alternative dealer in hyd who can get it from Pioneer India.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back