DYI Tri-Amping on a budget:- A stupid question...

Ronnie

Hello All,

This may sound utterly stupid but just think of this as a desperate effort to salvage the equipment I have...

So here is the thing, I have following equipment with me lying around.
1) NAD AV713 Receiver currently used as a 60W + 60W RMS Stereo Amp
2) Philips MCD-908/98 Tubed Pre-Amp Class D amplifier 75W+75W RMS
3) Denon URDA-M7 Stereo Amp 30W+30W
4) Pioneer ?5-Channel Equal High Power Output (110W x 5) (VSX-938TX) DTS/Dolby Digital Decoder
5) A pair of Pioneer Equalizers GR-333 7 band Equalizers with 60,150, 1K, 2.4k, 6k and 15kHz sliders with +-12dB adjustment.
6) A pair of Polydax 2.5" tweeters-8OHM
7) A pair of Denon SCM-70 Modified book-shelfs with twin 5" woofers (currently used for mid bass) Tweeter is removed. and Identical Denon 5" woofers installed with a passive 2-way crossover with untapped HF.
8) A pair of SoundStream Pro-10 10" woofers 4OHM.
9) Assorted number of Pioneer, Denon, Technics and Philips CD and DVD players all with optical output.
10) A Yamaha YST-650 Active Sub
11) A pioneer 3way Center
12) Energy ESM-4s as surround speakers.

I can connect one of the DVD players to the VSX-938TX and then I have controlled Pre-out for front speakers.

Now the question is, what about tri-amping using the pair of equalizers I have? 2 of the GR-333s can be configured such that one gives a LF out put say till 750Hz and then Mid 750 to 6Khz on another GR-333 with all the other sliders at attenuation.

I would like to tri-amp my stereo output from the Pioneer receiver. VSX-938TX has many outputs to play with. So I would feed the LF EQ to the NAD713 and Mid to MCD908 as I really like its sound for medium frequencies(may be because of the tubes in the input pre-stage), This drives my modded SCM-70s beautifully and mid-range is awesome. Ad finally use the Denon with a passive 3.3 Cap to drive the Polydax tweeters they are sweet sounding on HFs. And use the NAD AV713s to drive my SoundStream woofers on separate enclosures. Enclosures for them are yet to be procured. If this is possible I would like to make enclosures for the SoundStream 10inchers and see how it will sound.

I have been using Energy ESM-4, Yamaha YST-650 and a pioneer Center Speaker for 5.1 set up. I sold off my Pioneer floor standers already anyway.

Do you gurus out here think it will be disastrous and would sound horrible if I tri-amp this way?

Any suggestions including to throw them out or sell them off are also welcome. I know my question could sound very stupid and pointless...
Please give me your honest feedback.

Thanks,
Ronnie

Last edited:
Any suggestions including to throw them out or sell them off are also welcome. I know my question could sound very stupid and pointless...
Please give me your honest feedback.

In case you EVER EVER EVER think of either throwing or selling your stuffs off, then I am in for your NAD amplifier.
Just PM me then:yahoo:

Man sell all of these to us LEECHERS here and use the dough to buy youself some decent Amp or whatever rocks your boat.

Please please please sell of those Great,tempting stuff.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back