EMT 938 in Delhi

Super acquisition Anilva, especially considering it is from within India. Cosmetics apart, these TTs do not stop and they always sound the same whether 5 year old or 25 year old. The sound of this TT is just like its size, huge !!

May not be busted, just a little worn around the platter area. The TT may well be otherwise in good running condition. A paint touch-up may be all that's needed. The 2nd tonearm is a bonus. The cost of a (good) used 12 inch arm is typically above $500 on audiogon these days.

Good chance for someone to pick up a EMT 938, in case they believe they missed the first one.

Again I think looks good for restoration.

Would have picked it up but decided to spend on the Garrard itself with a second tonearm and different carts, the DHT preamp and hopefully a pair of horn based speakers. Very very tempting though :eek:

...and the "monsoon" rain (of master pieces) continues to pour.

Cant help but simply admire this masterpiece:

vintage hi-end broadcasting thorens td-124, three speed turntable - Delhi: Music Systems - Home Theatre in Delhi at Quikr Delhi

some lucky dude is going to own this beauty!!

Hi,

If the price includes the three tonearms(two SME and an Ortofon 212 if I am not mistaken) it is a steal.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

If the price includes the three tonearms(two SME and an Ortofon 212 if I am not mistaken) it is a steal.

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv, I strongly disagree !!
It is not a steal rather the TT is a free gift with extra cash thrown in....to buy LPs may be:rolleyes::lol::D

Hi,

Regards
Rajiv

and to add to that, the 50kg plinth

its quite funny to think that with the death of Vinyl in the late 1980s to early 1990s, a lot of these master pieces would have been lying around in some godown or scrap shop, after being considered worthless pieces of junk. With vinyl now becoming the "next big thing" in audio, these have been fished out, dusted, painted and what not and are making appearances for huge sums. During this lean phase in the late 1980s and early 1990s, there were some hard core vinyl junkies who were able to source and buy these turntables for little or nothing and were able to add them to their collections. They are all priceless now.

Last edited:
Ain't with the arms. Just the TT and plinth :( ah well saved me some dough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Congratulations Anil.:clapping:

Must make a trip to listen to it. The EMT TD15"Tonedose" is the cartridge to use with the 938. Prem should be able to help with this TT.

BTW I saw a nice pair of Heathkit Altecs on Ebay. Looks like a nice design for your twin 515B cabinets.

Rare Pair of Altec/Heathkit Legato 2-15" Horn & Driver | eBay

Sorry,I forgot to send the Dual headshell slide through Santosh. Will mail it in the next couple of days.

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

What is a good alternative to TD15 cartridge. The EMT ones are quite expensive. DL103?

Cheers.

Hi,

What is a good alternative to TD15 cartridge. The EMT ones are quite expensive. DL103?

Anil, the EMT cartridges are expensive. The Denon 103 should work.You might have to adjust the built in phono stage for the Denon.

Prem would be the best person to advice you on the cartridges for the EMT.

You could look at the older Ortofon SL15 cartridge.The EMT TSD15 according to to some guys on the net was based on the Ortofon SPU/SL15 .Ortofon made the early EMT cartridges. Good condition Ortofon SL15's come up for sale quite regularly on the online audio shops.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Anil, the EMT cartridges are expensive. The Denon 103 should work.You might have to adjust the built in phono stage for the Denon.

Prem would be the best person to advice you on the cartridges for the EMT.

You could look at the older Ortofon SL15 cartridge.The EMT TSD15 according to to some guys on the net was based on the Ortofon SPU/SL15 .Ortofon made the early EMT cartridges. Good condition Ortofon SL15's come up for sale quite regularly on the online audio shops.

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

Thanks. I did get in touch with Prem. He has a TSD15 I think. First I would like to get the TT in restored condition and I will decide on the Cartridge. Looks a TSD15 is the way to go.

Hi Anilva

I use the TSD 15 super fine line. I was told for pre 60 lps the spherical was better.

Have never heard the 103 on the EMT but irrespective of that would go with the TSD 15 for the simple reason that everything in EMT seems to be made for each other.

Last edited:
Anil, AFAIK the Denon 103 is a direct replacement of TSD15. The TSD15 was in fact build on the 103 as the foundation. Among the 103 variants the 103PRO is touted to be the best among the lot. I was reading about this variant at The Art of Sound Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Anyway, with an EMT you can be rest assured that the sound of the TT is about 85% of the overall sound, may be because it has everything built in and matched. I have heard 938 with three different carts and the signature of the TT was so pronounced that I could not make out much about the cart itself. Unfortunately I have never heard the EMT with TSD15. I have heard the TSD15 on Scheu premier and Platine Verdier though. It is again an extreme product IMO and in some areas it is just unbeatable, like the EMT TT itself.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back