EMT 938 in Delhi

Awesome!!!

I don't think I would come out of that room very often :lol:

The 938 :licklips::licklips::licklips:

:clapping:

Thanks Rueben for sharing that link.

Is this listening room kuruvillajacob's?
I too was wondering the same. Because he did not mention the LS3/5a when we met in Chennai Hi-Fi meet.

Nope, not kuruvillajacob's

Was only referring to him as a true collector!! :)
Indeed. Need to checkout his collection:licklips: on my next visit to Kottayam.

VINTAGE AUDIO EQUIPMENTeg TURNTABLES OLD AMPS & RECORDS - Delhi: Music Systems - Home Theatre in Delhi at Quikr Delhi

He is still at it.
I have visited this person as he was insistent even though I did not have an agenda of buying TTs. The senses quite get battered when one sees an ocean of dust covered TTs stacked. For relief there are vintage amps, cassette decks, reel decks and the lot.
All of them are in "working condition" which practically (in the case of TTs) implies that the platter spins, but little more. In some TTs, parts had been replaced from other pieces (as he had done in an EMT 938, presumably to get it "working", and the knobs in this 301).

He is pricey given the condition of the items (LPs priced between Rs500-1000, and by no means in mint condition). I would be sure that if one purchased anything from him, some parts would need to be replaced before it is truly in "working condition".

Even I have dealt with him. His is very clever and overprices his stuff like anything. You may find the same LPs selling everywhere for like 100 Rupees but he would not quote anything for less than 500.

One needs to be aware of the prevalent market prices before finalizing any deal with him.

VINTAGE AUDIO EQUIPMENTeg TURNTABLES OLD AMPS & RECORDS - Delhi: Music Systems - Home Theatre in Delhi at Quikr Delhi

He is still at it.
I have visited this person as he was insistent even though I did not have an agenda of buying TTs. The senses quite get battered when one sees an ocean of dust covered TTs stacked. For relief there are vintage amps, cassette decks, reel decks and the lot.
All of them are in "working condition" which practically (in the case of TTs) implies that the platter spins, but little more. In some TTs, parts had been replaced from other pieces (as he had done in an EMT 938, presumably to get it "working", and the knobs in this 301).

He is pricey given the condition of the items (LPs priced between Rs500-1000, and by no means in mint condition). I would be sure that if one purchased anything from him, some parts would need to be replaced before it is truly in "working condition".

Thanks for the info. We need more such citizen reporters in our midst.

I had seen that 124 closely, including all its underparts. It was and is mounted on spikes. Yikes! Lakhwant Singh played Thick as a Brick on it. Tull never sounded so dull. The cartridge (I did not bother to check which one) picked up a lot of detail (going by the number of pops and crackles, thanks to all the dust on the unwiped LP).

Reuben. The Uher and the Nagra are the only good R2Rs he has and they cant take 10" metals, need complicated conversions on ICs, and are not meant for serious recordings of LPs etc. His Fostex B16 is 16 track, and others like Akai etc. are battered looking. No fun.

It is better to buy refurbished TTs from abroad. A friend of mine recently picked up a Technics SL1200 and my, it sounded fantastic.

A good refurbished TT from one of those ex-EMT engineers in Germany is the best option. Or if one must have only the 927, Hans van Vliet in the Netherlands is the best source.

Price and import hassles are the only obstacles.

The 927 will set you back by by 30-40000 dollars. In Japan it sells for 50000 dollars.

It is better to buy refurbished TTs from abroad. A friend of mine recently picked up a Technics SL1200 and my, it sounded fantastic.

There are plenty of SL1200 in original mint condition in the market, why do one need to buy a refurbished unit ? Or one can actually buy the latest version of this TT from the showroom (though the original 1200 is said to be better).

Hi Joshua,

Is the same person selling both sets of SL1200's????

Have you contacted him for more details?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back