energy tk classic or monoprice 10565

ankurjbl

Hi,

After going through lots of threads, i almost finalize on energy take classic 5.1 .
I was planning to get it from US with someone's help.

Also found monoprice interesting.

need to know which one to buy if had a chance to get it from US.
energy tk classic 5.1 - 400$ on amazon
Monoprice 10565 - 185 $ on monoprice.

Cnet review says both are same and there is huge price difference.

Hi,

After going through lots of threads, i almost finalize on energy take classic 5.1 .

Energy take classic are class apart, I am using the RC-Micro series of the same company which is a superb satellite that money can buy. I had actually bought only the 5.0 speakers as carrying a sub from US may be risky and bulky. Hence I would suggest you to just get the 5.0 which might come around $250 if you look around for deals and can easily carried in the check-in luggage and buy the sub in India because of the voltage differences. Never heard Monoprice which I feel is budget satellite speakers and might be VFM but should not be compared to ETC.

Hi,

If you are open to a $400 budget, why don't you look at Andrew Jones BS22/C22 package? Without a sub, you'd get it for almost the same price in India. Do check out the prices of both BS22 and FS22 along with C22

Check out http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pioneer-aj5235xt-51-andrew-jones/1066608847

Also check out http://www.snapdeal.com/product/energy-rc-micro-51-speaker/883717618#bcrumbLabelId:630

IMHO - The Andrew Jones set is far superior to the Energy Micro.

Last edited:
buying a converter is okay. I need somebody's input for monoprice 10565. review on net are convincing but i do not wish fall into booby trap.

Ankur, if you read the CNET note properly, what Monoprice did was to copy the Energy speakers, get sued by Energy, did an out of court settlement, and then went and 'redesigned' the speakers. They may get sued again by Energy.

Monoprice started as a online distributor of electronic parts and accessories. He is using his distributions capabilities to push other products. I am sure he has no capabilities to design a speaker system. He will most probably be selling a chinese copy of the Energy speakers.

Energy has been designing and manufacturing speakers since 1973. Their Take 5 was a hugely popular series and went on to hog the limelight for a long time.

You have to remember two things. I doubt if anyone (at least HFV FMs) will have a Monoprice speakers as those are sold in the US. Secondly it is a little unfair to compare Monoprice speakers with those of Energy.

If you are keen to get the Monoprice speakers, do so on the merits of the speakers based on what data is available on the Net.

Cheers

The "older" version of the Monoprice 10565 was comparable with the Energy Take Classic since it was basically a clone. With the 10565 the sound would be different. So essentially you would be comparing apples and oranges.

decided not to get subwoofer from US for the risk involved.

Can someone suggest 5.0 under 20 k from US?

Unfortunately energy 5.0 is not available in US

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR +Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones center ( 125$ + 99$ on amazon)

How is this combination?
I can add subs and rear later.
Please advise.

Or i should go for pioneer package available in hifimart( 69999 Rs)

Even without anybody'd response on my question, I am sure I can not go wrong with Pioneer SP-BS22-LR +Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones center .

My worry is about next purchase of sub and rear (or front?) speakers.
Will I have issue creating 5.1 with these 3 in hand? specs say 6 ? impedance. Will it create trouble for me while searching for sub?

Your kind advice is required here .

Yes, I am one of the rare users on the forum who has used the Monoprice speakers. They have two 5.1 systems on sale,
1. 8247 - $80
2. 10565 - $183

The prices are as I see them listed now. I have used the 8247 5.0 set (had to give away the subwoofer to my cousin in the US as it was difficult to get it shipped). I still use the 2.0 as surround speakers as I have to do a few modifications to my furniture before I start using the BS22 (which I purchased later on).

The 8247 is what it claims to be, a 5.1 set at an extremely low price point. They are essentially satellites, but 'at their price point' they are surprisingly good. They don't have any bass response whatsoever but are quite good if used as surround speakers. The HFV seniors had heard them at a Mumbai meet (search for their feedback) and were surprised how good it sounded 'at that price point'.

I bought it as a stop gap arrangement until I get better speakers (Andrew Jones 5.0 set). At around 5K INR it was a steal. Their build quality was surprisingly good and I am an extremely happy user 'having spent just 5K on it'

Having said that, if you really want to enjoy movies/music, you need better speakers and AJ BS22/C22 are extremely good value. My purchase decisions have been driven by budget and these are the best that I could have got IMHO.

The higher priced Monoprice are ETC replicas. They apparently got it manufactured from some Chinese company with the same specs as ETC. But I do not believe it would perform substantially inferior to the ETC. Some of the earlier reviews confirmed it. Even the build quality may be surprisingly good. But do you want to spend 15K on a Chinese manufactured speaker set as against getting the AJ floorstanders for around 20K? Trust me, the AJ FS52 would give you better performance for both movies and music than the Monoprice or even the ETC. You can then add the C22 later.

I am reiterating that if budget permits, the snapdeal offer at around 39K is extremely good. This speaker set would last you for a long time.

The

Apologies for not asking clear question.( probably expected from a confused world of music system for a new guy)

Sequence of event fowwlows as below:
1. decided to have 5.1 surround sound system (60%music 40% movie)for my 12 * 12 room under 60k.
2. decided to get avr from india for warrenty issue and get speakers from US as are cheap there.
3. finalized energy 5.1 but lured for monoprice and finalized again for energy 5.1
4. decided to not bring subs as are heavy and have risk.
5. Finally decided to get pioneer center and bookshelf and buy sub and rear in india.
6. i wanted to be sure about my decision at #5
7. Will surely have more questions once speakers with me.

Hope this makes situation/question clear. I would appreciate any help in making me understand if I am making any wrong decision.
Thx for replying on the thread.

Thx very much kneo for the insight.
I have decided not to go for monoprice.
I am going for AJ BS 22 + C22 as of now from US (14K)
Is it a good choice to convert to 5.1 in india?

It's a great choice. You will be surprised with the bass that those bookshelves can put out. You can keep upgrading the speaker set. In fact you can get a pair more of BS22 for surrounds too (if someone is ready to carry them). They are heavy and large so plan accordingly. Then the only thing you may have to get locally is the subwoofer.

Whats the cost difference in us and india for the aj speakers? Why not get it from india itself with manufacturers warranty? Again customs will be another addition to the cost. And in the rare event of a defect you will need to ship it back or send it back at your expense. I have always wondered how much should be the general percentage of difference in cost that people must consider buying abroad rather than from local stores in india? Besides are products manufactured in the us or any other country better in terms of quality of components used?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back