Explain your Username and Avatar

And the LP cover with Sonny Rollins record next to the turntable is stunning! I am also a huge Steely Dan (upto Gaucho) fan. In my early days of hifi, the explosive drums solo at the end of Aja was my test LP.

Also made a note to ask Sushant about the rack. Buying a rack (audiophile one, even locally) means huge loss in resale value. I would like one that looks like bedroom furniture (not audio furniture) - wood wood wood!

And to the point of this. My user name reflects my desire to go with basics as far as tech goes. Vivek is usually taken by the time I get to it, and so have variants with my last name (like many a Madrasi, the initial became a last name when confronted with passport and apps for US universities when in college) or initial.

Can’t be usually bothered with an avatar - after years I got a family photo on what’s app. Who knows, as usual Nikhil may inspire a change here too
Hi Vivek,
The 3 legs I bought were 400 rs each already cut to size from a local sawmill. The shelves were my own and were polished and finished already. we sanded the legs to expose the grain of the wood and later coats of polish were applied. My friend had power tools and the whole shebang. All measurements were exact and the thing does a weigh a ton. I didnt get any spikes or anything under the legs. In the last stage we employed a local carpenter for the final stage and I think I paid him about 2000 rs. It looks fantastic and serves the purpose beautifully. I have never placed my equipment on an audiophile rack so dont know what I am missing but I dont have any plans either so am happy. attaching photos I just took in a hurry.

Attachments

• IMG-20200322-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20200322-WA0022.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-20200322-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20200322-WA0023.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-20200322-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20200322-WA0021.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
My Username is the combination of first 4 letters of my first name: Sathish, and Tom referring to Actor "Tom Cruise" (hardcore Fan since childhood). This is also my Email ID.
I was a little bit hesitant to put my self portrait as Avatar while joining this Forum 2.5 Years ago. I started learning more about Stereo & HT through this forum and all the members are very friendly and helpful. I think this is the right moment for me to change my Avatar to my Self Portrait.
Thank you all.

Another thread by Nikhil that’d draw huge participation (also a welcome change in this period). He is a master at this!

My username is my name. I subscribe to Nikhil’s philosophy on this - I’d like people to know me as me. Also, I guess if I use any other username, I’d grow out of it soon.

My avatar is the CD cabinet above my study table. This has western music. (There’s an identical one in the other room with Indian classical and likes. And a few drawerfuls of film music). I am glad I could get most of these imported when Infibeam was doing well - they had tie up with a larger distributor from US and you got good stuff. Alas, now only the costly Amazon is a (limited) option available here in India.

Sachin that's a great collection of cd's. Lucky you bought them earlier given their steep price now.

My user I’d is part of my name Sanjay, meaning is Triumphant,Victory.
No avatar.

My user ID here is the first letter of my surname coupled with my actual name. Not only here, my login name is same in other forums as well. Means remover of darkness and has reference to Buddha as well.

I too am comfortable in using my actual name anywhere be it in mail id, Olx etc. However I don't have account in any of the social media. Iam sorted with this wonderful forum and also one with similar underpinnings in the field of Automobiles.

We like Fiat cars and the Punto was the best we had in the lineup of four from the brand. Hence the Avatar....

Hi Vivek,
The 3 legs I bought were 400 rs each already cut to size from a local sawmill. The shelves were my own and were polished and finished already. we sanded the legs to expose the grain of the wood and later coats of polish were applied. My friend had power tools and the whole shebang. All measurements were exact and the thing does a weigh a ton. I didnt get any spikes or anything under the legs. In the last stage we employed a local carpenter for the final stage and I think I paid him about 2000 rs. It looks fantastic and serves the purpose beautifully. I have never placed my equipment on an audiophile rack so dont know what I am missing but I dont have any plans either so am happy. attaching photos I just took in a hurry.
Looks really nice!

Have you tried the roller blocks from SoundFoundations? I would suggest trying those under your components. Given the build quality of your rack, I think they might add the finishing touches to give you an audiophile rack experience.

I use the roller blocks under all my components. Plywood shelf (2 inches thick) -> roller block -> components. Am very satisfied the roller blocks.

I used this nickname while i used to play CS 1.6 a lot , it was supposed to sound like flukes but alas never happened :)

Looks really nice!

Have you tried the roller blocks from SoundFoundations? I would suggest trying those under your components. Given the build quality of your rack, I think they might add the finishing touches to give you an audiophile rack experience.

I use the roller blocks under all my components. Plywood shelf (2 inches thick) -> roller block -> components. Am very satisfied the roller blocks.
AmK,
No plans right now but Will look into them. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have changed my avatar now, its snake from famous metal gear solid, i remember one of my friends actually bought a ps3 just to play it.

My username's initials for my full name, Jayakrishnan and Chaos is the band I sing for. The Avatar is Nathan Explosion, vocalist of Dethklok, from the animated series Metalocalypse.

My user name reperesent my name Ravinder Singh Jaurr. User name is my email ID on Google, Hotmail and probably yahoo also.
Avatar is front part of my HT setup.

My user name is my name + DOB. I have used the same user name for most of my online profiles. And the one in photo is singer S.P Balasubramaniam (S.P.B), who has been my favorite since childhood. I still remember, enjoying Rajinikant's songs (including video) as a kid without even knowing most of them were rendered by S.P.B.

My username is something I thought of ages ago during my 8th std while wanting to create a unique email id, and it stuck ever since. No specific meaning as such.

My username is a fictional species featured in one of my favourite science fiction books - A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge :D
I adopted this years (decades maybe? the old memory fails) ago after I read that book for the first time.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back