Explanation on My Product/Brand Threads.

Decibel

There have been some queries as to why I am not mentioning prices in my product/brand thread. Srini and I also discussed the concept of selling products through an online shop. I aim to provide some explanation here on what I am doing and the reasons for the same.

1. The online shop will NOT sell products that are available now in India through distributors and dealers. I am looking at products that are under 10K only. Products will be things such as connectors, cables, power cords, switches, and some media. I am not even considering things like amplifiers, players, speakers etc.

2. Decibel, as of today, is not much into retail sale. We are into projects where we install a complete audio or AV system for clients.

3. The products we are showing or talking about have multiple variations and versions. Amplifiers have varying capacities, HT systems have configurations, etc. Unless these are finalised, there is not much value in mentioning some prices.

4. The products and brands we are highlighting is more to spread awareness of their availability. The idea is that you read about the product and put it in the back of your mind, and when you are looking at installing a AV system, you will remember the product, and then start talking to us about prices. By that time, prices will have changed.

5. Some of the products/brands we have, we have representation only in TN and Chennai. These products/brands are represented by other who are our friends in other places. We do not want to hurt anyone by mentioning prices randomly.

6. I am always available to answer any question through PM. If, as I have done a few times, the product(s) price(s) can be shown, I have done so in the thread itself.

7. In terms of prices being high or low, these are prices fixed by the manufacturer and/or the distributor.

Cheers

Decibel,

I understand the part about dealers in various cities. But why would the pricing vary in different cities for reasons other than varying taxes( like in the case of automobiles)? The only other variable is the rate of dealer margin. Why cant we have transparent pricing?What is it about audio hi fi products which makes the pricing so hush hush?

There is nothing hush hush about pricing. As I said, every product has a MRP that is fixed by the manufacturer/distributor. But dealers do have the flexibility of offering the products as part of a package, where the prices may differ from the MRP to suit the client requirements and budget.

The concept of a fixed price is more meaningful for products that are sold in retail in shops. Even there, if you notice, some large shops offer better pricing as they deal in larger numbers. But such pricing may have some drawbacks in terms of configuration and packaging.

For products that are not sold in retail but as part of a package, it is always better to talk to the local dealer in your city. He can offer the best pricing and services.

In all my threads, where possible, I do show the MRP.

Cheers

Last edited:
Decibel,

Fair enough! Mentioning the MRP would be good enough as a starting point/reference to see if a product is within budget/ comparable to other products shortlisted by a potential customer.

I have a similar opinion here. It would be nice if some indication of price is given, be it MRP or atleast a price band, saying high end or low end.

Case in point is: I was very much intrigued by few of your products such as RedEye Pro, GC 100 network adapter and started research on them only to realize that they are way above my budget.

Although, learning about them doesn't hurt but an initial idea on pricing wouldn't leave me disappointed.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back