Favourite speakers under INR 20k

Have been looking around for decent pair of bookshelf speakers to pair with my Yamaha AS500. Currently running the AS500 with the MA M4 floor standers. With a sub 20k budget what do you guys recommend to pair with the AS500 ?

they bose 301's is a well rounded speaker and pairs well with the yahama. you can look at the wharfedale diamonds as well

Have been looking around for decent pair of bookshelf speakers to pair with my Yamaha AS500. Currently running the AS500 with the MA M4 floor standers. With a sub 20k budget what do you guys recommend to pair with the AS500 ?

Klipsch RB series. :cool:

they bose 301's is a well rounded speaker and pairs well with the yahama. you can look at the wharfedale diamonds as well

Never been a fan of bose my friend. Wharf's yes will give it a dekho. Thanks man.

Klipsch RB series. :cool:

Which series 51 ,61 ? Whats the price like and am in no mood to burn a hole in my not so deep pockets :).

Hate to carry the as500 for auditions,call me lazy. Any thoughts on the pairing with the ms aviano 2 ?

Never been a fan of bose my friend. Wharf's yes will give it a dekho. Thanks man.

Which series 51 ,61 ? Whats the price like and am in no mood to burn a hole in my not so deep pockets :).

Hate to carry the as500 for auditions,call me lazy. Any thoughts on the pairing with the ms aviano 2 ?

Would be disaster pairing Klipsch with AS500. If you like bright sound then ok, otherwise STAY AWAY! Check out the Aviano's though never heard them :cool:

Would be disaster pairing Klipsch with AS500. If you like bright sound then ok, otherwise STAY AWAY! Check out the Aviano's though never heard them :cool:

You are spot on denom. The AS500 is pretty bright and with the MA M4 floor standers its kinda shrill at times for my tastes. I would prefer something subtle with a fair amount of bass and mid's.

paradigm goes well with yamaha's. No love for the Atom monitors???

Ok here's what I have zeroed down to.

MS Aviano 2
Tannoy Mercury V1

to pair with the AS 500.

With a budget under 20k what else could I try ?

Any idea on the PSB Image B15 bookshelves ? Fellow member magma has put up these bookshelves for sale here.

Wish I have the money right now to pair it with the Monitor Audio Bx 2/KEF Q300/ PSB Image B6

Last edited:
Hi guys

Just started my ht setup . Got the yamaha rx v367 instead.

I need a device that can deliver quality audio cd and digital audio playback

How do you rate the hk dmc 250 for audio cd, mp3 and wmv playback with its current pricetag 9000 - 70 % discount on jbl. Otherwise planning to make do with a standby phillips dvd player

Auditioned a few speakers (can only explain in a few words though)

With yamaha
Whaferdale 10.7 full rounded range couldnt let go. Unfortunately way beyond The budget just heard them as a ref point.

Ms mezzo 1. Very good bookshelf speakers and within budget. Very slightly lacking in bass but good throughout the range, detailing and soundscape. Can play well at higher volumes. Definetely added to shortlist

Paradigm atom...no presence even when volume knob was turned up...maybe meant for office desktops.

With denon
Quad q300 good with detailing and imaging. Better in the bottom half of the bass and mid range than the upper. while there was clarity in the higher ranges they just didnt captivate.

Polk rti a3. Amazing detailing and imaging but to shrill and metallic at times. Couldnt hear them for long

Polk tsi 300 im not sure either way.

Speakers lined up..
Whaferdale 10.2 ,121 and vardus 400
Polk tsi 400
Paradigm mini monitor
Q2020i

Many more to go...

Thanks guys

You are spot on denom. The AS500 is pretty bright and with the MA M4 floor standers its kinda shrill at times for my tastes. I would prefer something subtle with a fair amount of bass and mid's.

Ok here's what I have zeroed down to.

MS Aviano 2
Tannoy Mercury V1

to pair with the AS 500.

With a budget under 20k what else could I try ?

Any idea on the PSB Image B15 bookshelves ? Fellow member magma has put up these bookshelves for sale here.

Wish I have the money right now to pair it with the Monitor Audio Bx 2/KEF Q300/ PSB Image B6

Try the Aviano 2's, Mercury V1's are gud but need a sub for LF augmentation. PSB B15's are bright too, so don't think they are a good pairing with the Yamaha.

Yea, BX2's/Q300's are good speakers, which would pair well with your Amp.

Have a look at the Pioneer BS41 LR's, available with Ashish of Avenue Sound.
They should pair well wrt your requirements & also fit in your budget comfortably.

hello friends,

I have been enjoying magnat monitor supreme 200 BS since last 8 months. very impressed with its tight bass, soundstage and detailing.At Rs 12,500 it was like a steal. now I think the price has gone up. But worth every penny. My amp is CA AM 10.

Try the Aviano 2's

There was a pair on sale some time last year by FM vasishta.sushant. He isn't ready to ship and the asking price is 16k. No idea how old these speakers are and I have sent him a PM asking for his address to see if I can arrange for a pick up.
Gotto find someone who can carry it back from Delhi for me.

Have a look at the Pioneer BS41 LR's, available with Ashish of Avenue Sound.
They should pair well wrt your requirements & also fit in your budget comfortably.

Now this is where I will have to go purely on hearsay. You ever had a chance to hear them,if yes please let know your thoughts.
Checked avenuesound and don't see it listed on their website. Do they ship outstation ?

Last edited:
Back to square one, Avenuesound confirmed that it's unlikely they can source the Pioneer BS41 LR's and that it's on backlog with Pioneer itself :rolleyes: .

Start the exercise again now, the quest continues.

Last edited:
Hi do u have any other speakers apart from magnats. Can u compare their sound signature with any others & how they fare. I also have magnats supreme but prefer the ca s30s for music. But magnats surely are very good for movies. No need for a sub. However they are fantastic for deep vocal based music like jagjit.

Sent from my Lenovo S880 using Tapatalk 2

I have heard PSB imagine series speakers with a nad amp. The rep told me they are the smaller brother of the B6. Dont know the exact model no but were under 20k. They sounded fantastic for a small room. The bass was tight, vocals were lush and midrange was outstanding. No shrills either. If the atoms aint your thing, id say look at this speaker too. Heard it at Lakozy mumbai.

i spoke to Monitor Audio dealers in Hyderabad and Bangalore to enquire about MA BR2 and MA M2.

Both of them told that the MA BR2 and MA M2 are not available. They mentioned there is a new model MR2 which is a replacement of BR2 with MRP of 20500/--(there will be some discount)

Check following link:
SPEAKER MR2 WALNUT MONITOR AUDIO

Anybody have any experience on this model, any idea if they will go well with marantz pm6003.

Regards, Amit

Tomorrow is audition day. Hopefully I don't end up getting confused and come back home with a semi cooked brain

List for tomorrow is like

MA MR2
MS Aviano 1
MS Aviano 2 (slightly exceeds my budget)
magnat monitor supreme 200
Cambridge Audio S30
all these at Audio Planet.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 if time permits.

No views about the PSB image B15 bookshelves which magma has put up for sale? The price is tempting coz it's much within my budget , but then no clue how well it pairs with the AS500.

the Image B15 are very good speakers ( depends on room size ).. They are the same driver dimension as the Aviano 1 but i suppose i have never heard a yam + PSB pairing so i cant help there.

even if the budget is a bit of a stretch.. go for what you like so you will be content for longer.. it makes good investment sense too that way.

since your choices are standmounts.. hope you have budgeted for stands too.

mpw

Tomorrow is audition day. Hopefully I don't end up getting confused and come back home with a semi cooked brain

List for tomorrow is like

MA MR2
MS Aviano 1
MS Aviano 2 (slightly exceeds my budget)
magnat monitor supreme 200
Cambridge Audio S30
all these at Audio Planet.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 if time permits.

No views about the PSB image B15 bookshelves which magma has put up for sale? The price is tempting coz it's much within my budget , but then no clue how well it pairs with the AS500.

Hi

Pls share your feedback after the audition.

Regards, Amit

Was a fruitful saturday with an extensive audition at Audio Planet, Kormangala here's my take.

Amp used was the Cambridge audio azur 651a and the bookshelves auditioned were all in the sub 20k bracket. Dint fancy carrying the AS500 call it laziness, but I well knew how the amp sounded with the Monitor audio product line.

Started off with the

MA MR2 --> Sells at a shade below 20k with some discounts. Wasn't too impressed with the way the speaker sounded. Was too harsh for my tastes and definitely couldn't keep up with drops in the dubstep music we played. Everything sounded like music from one of those cabs playing with the Pioneer TS20 tweeters.
On the vocals it was again a suppressed feeling after playing Diana Krall and Adele. This was speaker was out after playing about songs from 3 genres.

MS Aviano 1 -- > I was able to set a benchmark with these speakers. Loved the way it sounded and never did it miss a beat. The vocals were prominent , the mids and the lows sounded good and no harshness on the treble, bass was ample.Tried a few genres and every time it never let me down.
By now I knew well what a benchmark speaker should sound like.

MS Aviano 2 (slightly exceeds my budget) --> Out of stock. I am sure this will outweigh my opinion about the Aviano-1.

magnat monitor supreme 200 --> The less said the better, I simply hated the sound signature of these speakers. No offense to any owners of these bookshelves, but to me it sounded like a speaker which would play anything and everything thrown at it with no clarity in the lows,mid of highs. Bass was zilch and I literally was hunting for the vocals.

Cambridge Audio S30 --> VFM . You get what you pay for, a nice pair for those of you on a budget.

Palani then asked me if I was open to test a pair of used speakers, I readily agreed and then then MS Mezzo 1 was plugged in.It had a dented tweeter but the sound wasn't affected one bit.
A silky smooth and deliciously creamy sounding speaker,one song and I was hooked. Played a few songs and definitely it sounded richer than the Aviano1. Everything kinda sounded perfect for me with these speakers.

Was quoted 22k for these used speakers and since my budget was only 20k I had to rule this out. I still wanted to hear the Aviano2 and said I will come back next week.

Once we were done with the audition I said what the heck, its only 2k extra than my budget and paid for the Mezzo1.
I noticed something weird with the Mezzo's, the plastic around the tweeters, speakers rings and the bass port had become kinda gooey. Went around and checked the mezzo floor standers and it was the same.

Looks like and imminent problem with the Mezzo's, can any of the owners confirm here ? I however took the Mezzo home after a round of cleaning and plugged it to my AS500. Pairs well with the Yamaha and never sounded harsh.

This coming weekend I will be returning these(not happy with the sticky thingy around the plastics) will give the Aviano2 a listen and take the final call.

Does anyone know what price does the Mezzo retail at ?

Last edited:
Was a fruitful saturday with an extensive audition at Audio Planet, Kormangala here's my take.

Amp used was the Cambridge audio azur 651a and the bookshelves auditioned were all in the sub 20k bracket. Dint fancy carrying the AS500 call it laziness, but I well knew how the amp sounded with the Monitor audio product line.

Started off with the

MA MR2 --> Sells at a shade below 20k with some discounts. Wasn't too impressed with the way the speaker sounded. Was too harsh for my tastes and definitely couldn't keep up with drops in the dubstep music we played. Everything sounded like music from one of those cabs playing with the Pioneer TS20 tweeters.
On the vocals it was again a suppressed feeling after playing Diana Krall and Adele. This was speaker was out after playing about songs from 3 genres.

MS Aviano 1 -- > I was able to set a benchmark with these speakers. Loved the way it sounded and never did it miss a beat. The vocals were prominent , the mids and the lows sounded good and no harshness on the treble, bass was ample.Tried a few genres and every time it never let me down.
By now I knew well what a benchmark speaker should sound like.

MS Aviano 2 (slightly exceeds my budget) --> Out of stock. I am sure this will outweigh my opinion about the Aviano-1.

magnat monitor supreme 200 --> The less said the better, I simply hated the sound signature of these speakers. No offense to any owners of these bookshelves, but to me it sounded like a speaker which would play anything and everything thrown at it with no clarity in the lows,mid of highs. Bass was zilch and I literally was hunting for the vocals.

Cambridge Audio S30 --> VFM . You get what you pay for, a nice pair for those of you on a budget.

Palani then asked me if I was open to test a pair of used speakers, I readily agreed and then then MS Mezzo 1 was plugged in.It had a dented tweeter but the sound wasn't affected one bit.
A silky smooth and deliciously creamy sounding speaker,one song and I was hooked. Played a few songs and definitely it sounded richer than the Aviano1. Everything kinda sounded perfect for me with these speakers.

Was quoted 22k for these used speakers and since my budget was only 20k I had to rule this out. I still wanted to hear the Aviano2 and said I will come back next week.

Once we were done with the audition I said what the heck, its only 2k extra than my budget and paid for the Mezzo1.
I noticed something weird with the Mezzo's, the plastic around the tweeters, speakers rings and the bass port had become kinda gooey. Went around and checked the mezzo floor standers and it was the same.

Looks like and imminent problem with the Mezzo's, can any of the owners confirm here ? I however took the Mezzo home after a round of cleaning and plugged it to my AS500. Pairs well with the Yamaha and never sounded harsh.

This coming weekend I will be returning these(not happy with the sticky thingy around the plastics) will give the Aviano2 a listen and take the final call.

Does anyone know what price does the Mezzo retail at ?

The new mezzo 2 cost about 37 or 38k after discount, not sure about the price of mezzo 1, you can call up MS dealer in hydrabad/chennai to confirm the price.

Please tell me what price Palanu quoted for aviano 1 and aviano 2?

Regards, Amit

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back