Fiio E17 vs Schiit Modi DAC

imgene

Am looking to get a new USB DAC with plans to build a wireless audio streamer using raspberry Pi. Budget is around $100-$120 (max.)

Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with either of these DAC's? I will be using these with active speakers (not decided yet, suggestions welcome).

Another player is the Grace Digital GDI-BTAR512 but not sure on the product's output quality.

Am looking to get a new USB DAC with plans to build a wireless audio streamer using raspberry Pi. Budget is around $100-$120 (max.)

Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with either of these DAC's? I will be using these with active speakers (not decided yet, suggestions welcome).

Another player is the Grace Digital GDI-BTAR512 but not sure on the product's output quality.

I would say consider ODAC as well, the same size as a Pi and can be easily integrated in a single box with one output of RCA to your active speakers. I am using this combination in my second stereo with Openelec OS and happy with the outcome. The DAC is clean and neutral and should pair well with Pi for a simple music streamer/player and above all the Openelec XBMC has a app for your iOS or Android and can be controlled thereby making it a headless system.

Have not heard the Modi but I own the Fiio E07K Andes which has the same DAC implementation. I can say that it is quite detailed and the 'feel' of the music is very smooth, stress-free. One might call it uninspiring but the detail revealed at this budget is quite exemplary. I have the Hifimediy USB DAC as well, and I would say the Fiio is better. If you do go for the E17 then you can play with the bass and treble controls a little to perhaps make it the way you prefer, as I have to do with my E07K because of its very 'smooth' output.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back