First Purchase Decision - 250$ AVR, INR 13k Speakers

niravj

Hello All,

This is my first post in this forum & my first purchase decision... :)

Kindly help me out as the more i read, the more confused i get... :D

Couple of details:

Usage Pattern: 70% Music / 30% Movies (approx 30 hours a week)
Size of room: 10ft x 10ft (might increase by 50% or so in a couple of years)
Music i listen to: Mostly trance (Armin, Above & Beyond) , bit of bollywood & occasionally Doors / Floyd
Movies: bit of action, mix of bolly / hollywood

Things i need to purchase:

1. AVR:
5.1 support mandatory (anything above would be nice)
HDMI in + out needed (will a HDMI 1.4 support AVR make sense?)
Budget: 200-250$ approx

2. Speakers: Am ready to build my system slowly (2 bookshelf speakers first followed by 3+1 later)... The budget is approx 13k atm.

Things i need help with:

1. AVR: This will be imported from US (thanks to my sis :))

Options in that price range (post discount):
a. ONKYO TX-SR508 - 270$
b. Sony STR-DH810 - 250$
c. Onkyo STR-DH810 - 199$
d. Pioneer VSX-820 - 230$
e. YAMAHA RX-V367 - 230$

2. Speakers: Wharfedale Diamonds seem to be the absolute faves in this forum for the price range i am aiming it.. :) However, i am willing to go with any other brand as long as it fits in the price.. (Sonodyne / Jamo etc...though i doubt about Jamo's price)

Also, are the above options of AVRs good enough in case i decide to purchase Wharfedale? (haven't auditioned any so can't tell the exact model - 9.1, 9.2, 10.1 etc)

An important thing is that I can stretch a bit in case a decent 5.1 option exists.

3. Dealers: I reside in Mumbai. Contact numbers of dealers (esp those open on a Sunday or willing to give an audition) will be highly appreciated.. ( have tried contacting Design Audio's dealers but none of them seems to be responding...holiday mood maybe? :)

About the speakers, i am thinking of purchasing them from India as importing them from US might be difficult. However, that can still be done in case anyone knows about any good option for say 200-250$ price..

I also read about Wharfedale Moviestar 65+ being sold for less than 20k... Will that be a good, cost effective option compared to buying bookshelves and then adding a sub and 3 more speakers (estimated budget for that might be close to 20 - 25k, so in effect i will spend close to 35k for Diamonds + Sub + Rear + Centre.. I know these 2 cannot be compared but the price differential is way too much!)

Thanks in advance for all your help :) Lemme know in case any more details are required from my end

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back