First system - Buy 5.1 AVR + Decent floorstanders + Keep ugrading over the next years

Stevie

Hi all,

I will really love expert help... :eek:
I don't mean to offend anyone. At the outset let me make it clear that I'm a noob, a newbie. I don't believe in specs, only how the system sounds (function over form all the way!). :D
I have always loved my 3 cd changer 2 channel Sony set with 6ohms Vx33 speakers(15 years old- still love booming bass {Do i hear audiophiles squirming in their couches})

I don't own a tv (will never watch cable, only movies becoz I can't stand ads), May buy a panny x30 or u30 later this year (will never buy into 3D, too gimmicky ;) )
I listen primarily to Progressive house or Trance 65% of the time (Armin Van buuren, Ministry of Sound, Tiesto, Above & beyond, Oceanlab, John O'callghan, Avicii) or classic rock 15% of time (Pink floyd, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd SKynyrd, Pre-video era Metallica) or alternative rock 10%(Creed, Marilyn Manson, 12 stones, Hinder, Staind) or World/Classical music 10% (mostly Yanni, a lil Mozart, a lil Beethoven, a lil Bach)

I'm very budget constrained and a firm believer in the theory of Marginal returns. (creative EP-630 in-ear phones... lol bought 3 sets one after the other over the past 4ish years, listened to denon in-ears, want more bass)

IO have no qualms about buying pre-owned systems...
I'm primarily looking for a decent 5.1 AVR (preferably ones that drive 6 ohms speakers (love my sony's and will use as rear speakers; what more can i say) future planning :D) + good floor standers + good sub-woofer (unsure of active vs passive)+ (Maybe) a decent center....
Not sure if a pure amplifier is better than an AVR????:rolleyes:
Will add the surrounds next year or the year after (if my future wifey allows :D:p)

Budget 35K (yeah baby) to 75K(oh God no) (Will exceed if its worth it)
Will really love expert opinions... thanks in advance for all the help...

Regards,
Steve

Re: First system - Buy 5.1 AVR + Decent floorstanders + Keep ugrading over the next y

Experts any help apppreciated :)

Re: First system - Buy 5.1 AVR + Decent floorstanders + Keep ugrading over the next y

Stevie, your inclination towards budget performers is justified and not unreasonable.

If by "pure amplifier" you mean a multichannel power amplifier, then yes it will sound much better than an AVR and cost much more too. And, to make things worse, will require an AV processor too. So, at this stage, this option is out... unless you find a good deal on used pre-power HT set.

Any AVR today will drive your 6 ohm sony boomboxes... those things are very low powered compared to their idiotic PMPO specs. I am not sure you will get the "purest" surround sound experience, but should be okay till your next upgrade.

Finally, the options... Polk Audio speakers are good speakers for bass lovers, but they also have a tendency to be bright - could be a bonus for electronic music. Coupled with a Polk subwoofer and centre. The TSi series should be in your budget... Add a Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer AVR and you are good to go. Another speaker alternative is Cerwin Vega, although not sure if you get them easily... Or, you could also try out a NAD-PSB combo, but the budget will have to be stretched...

Thanks a ton Ashish...:)
What do you think of Pioneer VSX-917V Home Theatre A/V Receiver
(I am getting a used one for approx 14K)
How does ir compare versus
a) PIONEER VSX D812 S - 7.1 avr (used approx 16k)
b) PIONEER*VSX-D710S*AVR*5.1
c) YAMAHA*RX-V650*box*pc*7.1 (like new - approx 18K)
d) Denon*AVR*1610, 5.1 (Like new 20K)
e) PIONEER VSX 516 (used 10K)
f) Denon 1501 (Used 17K)
g) onkyo TX-DS797 THX certified avr (Like new 21K)

Like i said before this will be primarily for Trance + Euro house & a lil techno & a lil rock. Will add center & surrounds next year...

Which would be the recommended floor standers for Trance -
Pol audio monitor 50 (Used 18K)
PIONEER S-HS77-F towers

Which would be the recommend Sub (I like lots of Base, preferably punchier the better)
What do you think of
Bose Accoustimass 3 series iii SW
JL Audio WX12 SUBWOOFER (used 9K)
JBL G CINEMA SUB (Used 10K)

I ll try to audition as many as possible... but its next to impossible to get the exact combo as you can tell :sad:

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Buy the best speakers that you can. Buy the cheapest amp/avr that you can afford with the left over money and that can drive your speakers reasonably well. You will have a wonderful upgrade journey also.

Hi Stevie,

An off the topic question...Can you pls inform about the source of getting used deals, as you have mentioned? Is it from a single source or consolidated result of your research?

Regards,
Manish

Check out ProFX on MG Road.. they have ProFx speakers with sub Woof and center.. I auditioned and really liked it..

@thunder

Which ones did you audition...?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back