Fixing weird remote

viper08

I have a few years old Supra brand CRT. Its working perfectly with excellent SD PQ and many functions. Its remote started behaving unusal few days back. Sometimes works, many times won't. I cleaned it with remote cleaner and checkd its internal circuit/ contacts from a repair friend. Seems ok.

But when used after few days it was not working. Accidently it found to be working for some time only after keeping near to heat exchanger of my laptop. but all buttons behave like touch sensetive. Press them and they dont work. So every time I need to put it near some heat to get working atleast.:indifferent14:

I want to use this for some more time until I replace the tv. Many functions are on remote only and I can't say its a complete useless/ non working at all. Just need some servicing stuff.

Is it a moisture problem even after cleaning it? I am sure about non availabilty of its repalcement or not intrested to spend in universal remote for this.

Help how can I fix it?

I am not sure about Pune, but many electronic shops in Chennai sell replacement remotes for a lot of brands. You have take your remote, and they will give you a replacement.

Cheers

It appears that your remote has some loose contacts. This could happen when you accidentally drop the remote.

Open the remote and look for loose contacts near points where the IR diode and battery terminals are attached. They are the most likely culprits.

If you can't figure out, then better to buy a remote as Venkat suggested.

I am not sure about Pune, but many electronic shops in Chennai sell replacement remotes for a lot of brands. You have take your remote, and they will give you a replacement.

Thanks Venkat. I did check it locally and got sure that Supra was never sold in India. (It's imported one) So not likely chances that shops will have this old replacement. I dont mind a differnt brand such as LRIPL but some functions may not work which I found specific to this model only. In short. just want to make it working somehow as its not yet completely dead.

It appears that your remote has some loose contacts. This could happen when you accidentally drop the remote.

Open the remote and look for loose contacts near points where the IR diode and battery terminals are attached. They are the most likely culprits.

If you can't figure out, then better to buy a remote as Venkat suggested.
Thanks Rajesh. In fact I did check this from a technician friend with a IR tester as mentioned earlier and it seems to be OK. It'a even cleaned with cleaner and no dust set in. The issue facing is its working only when it gets some heat. Even with new batteries. And buttons work only when touch them softly and dont work when pressed them. So have to be careful not to touch them accidently while holding in hand. Really weird. :lol: Isn't it?

any guidence for cleaning rubber touch pad?

In fact I did check this from a technician friend with a IR tester as mentioned earlier and it seems to be OK. It'a even cleaned with cleaner and no dust set in. The issue facing is its working only when it gets some heat. Even with new batteries. And buttons work only when touch them softly and dont work when pressed them. So have to be careful not to touch them accidently while holding in hand. Really weird. :lol: Isn't it?

any guidence for cleaning rubber touch pad?

I think it reached the end of it's useful life. Better to change it.

By a universal remorte with "copying Function" give your remote one last shot by heating. and copy all function.

Supra being a UAE specific brand ,getting codes is difficult.

Back