Flat TV quandry

gadgetcrazy

I was drawn into this forum looking for some of the answers to my innumerable queries regarding the choice of a TV.
Having been on this forum for less than a week, I have come to realize the enormity of my ignorance with respect to TVs. It seems I have been living on a different planet all together.
As any common bloke, I was looking for a good looking LCD which was full HD.
The above decision was based on 2 assumptions
1. Plasma TVs are damn costly, out of reach for people like me.
2. Full HD is the way to go.

Now that I have been here, and read a fair bit, I have decided to go for a 42 inch plasma and not for the 32 inch Sony NX500 that I had almost zeroed in upon. Thank you all the learned people for posting so much information.

I have shortlisted the following models which are priced as below in Delhi:
1. Panasonic X10 - 39k (will negotiate)
2. Panasonic C10 - 35k
3. LG PQ70 - ~42k
4. Samsung B450 - looks like it is being phased out. C450 is 46k
My first preference is X10
I am graduating from a 21 CRT to this. So in terms of size of the screen as well as picture quality, it is going to be a quantum leap for me.
My viewing would consist of DTH (Reliance Big TV) as well BD/ HD rips that I have downloaded over the last couple of years. Most of them are 720p. I personally am not a gamer but my son is 3 and a half year old. I presume it will still take 4-5 years for him to take the plunge. My viewing distance would be 12-15 feet.
I have some queries
1. Would you guys concur with my assessment of purchasing a HD ready plasma TV?
2. Why are Panasonic TVs cheaper than the others?
3. Is Panasonic X10 a good buy?
4. How serious is the image burn issue with Plasma TVs in general and Panasonics in particular?
5. How bad is the after sales service with Panasonic? I have read some people complaining but I have also seen people complain about Samsung as well. I guess bad apples would be everywhere.
6. I may not be able to go through the run-in schedule that some people mention very rigorously. Is it a must?
7. How do I make sure that the TV has not been used before as Demo or otherwise.
Apologies for the long post. Looking forward to responses as I need to make the decision by tomorrow.
Thanks everyone in advance.

Repilies Inline.

I was drawn into this forum looking for some of the answers to my innumerable queries regarding the choice of a TV.
Having been on this forum for less than a week, I have come to realize the enormity of my ignorance with respect to TVs. It seems I have been living on a different planet all together.
As any common bloke, I was looking for a good looking LCD which was full HD.
The above decision was based on 2 assumptions
1. Plasma TVs are damn costly, out of reach for people like me.
2. Full HD is the way to go.

Now that I have been here, and read a fair bit, I have decided to go for a 42 inch plasma and not for the 32 inch Sony NX500 that I had almost zeroed in upon. Thank you all the learned people for posting so much information.

NX500 is not a bad choice at all. It is a great TV. I just demoed it last weekend and its black level is as good as the entry level plasmas.

I have shortlisted the following models which are priced as below in Delhi:
1. Panasonic X10 - 39k (will negotiate)
2. Panasonic C10 - 35k
Great prices both.

3. LG PQ70 - ~42k
Not the best price comparing the above.

4. Samsung B450 - looks like it is being phased out. C450 is 46k
Wins C10/X10 in colour reproduction. Losses a bit to X10 on black level and

My first preference is X10
Good choice.

I am graduating from a 21 CRT to this. So in terms of size of the screen as well as picture quality, it is going to be a quantum leap for me.
PQ will be 'utmost' same as your CRT for SD. In most cases lesser. These TVs woefully expose the shortcomings in recording of SD. HD is a different world altogether.

My viewing would consist of DTH (Reliance Big TV) as well BD/ HD rips that I have downloaded over the last couple of years. Most of them are 720p. I personally am not a gamer but my son is 3 and a half year old. I presume it will still take 4-5 years for him to take the plunge. My viewing distance would be 12-15 feet.
For that distance, keep 50" also as choice if you can afford. You can get a 50B450 for 55k. 42" will also be great no wonder.

I have some queries
1. Would you guys concur with my assessment of purchasing a HD ready plasma TV?
I do. You dont need FHD for <50" if you do not have access to extensive bluray contents.

2. Why are Panasonic TVs cheaper than the others?
They are not! Infact they are the costliest. They are being sold at this prices as they are going to be replaced with 2010 models is what I assume.

3. Is Panasonic X10 a good buy?
At the price mentioned, you cant beat it.

4. How serious is the image burn issue with Plasma TVs in general and Panasonics in particular?
LG has the issue. Samsung and panasonic does not.

5. How bad is the after sales service with Panasonic? I have read some people complaining but I have also seen people complain about Samsung as well. I guess bad apples would be everywhere.
It is very hard for you to get a bad piece in this generation of TVs. I dont know about the servicing part of panasonics.

6. I may not be able to go through the run-in schedule that some people mention very rigorously. Is it a must?
Highly recommend for the first month. If you watch channels with logos and black bars, it is a must. It is a non issue second month onwards. I moved to normal mode in 15 days without any side effects but everyone may not be as lucky.

7. How do I make sure that the TV has not been used before as Demo or otherwise.
With C series plasmas, you can only get fresh piece as it is hardly released. With X10, pray to god. :D

Apologies for the long post. Looking forward to responses as I need to make the decision by tomorrow.
Thanks everyone in advance.

I am sorry to disappoint you but I eventually went for C10 for 34.5k (paid using credit card). Was ready to give for 34k on cash. The biggest reason for this is that the dealer told me that the warranty on X10 was 1 year as opposed to 3 years for C10. I am not too sure if that was for his stock only or a blanket statement for every dealer.
He told me that there are 2 kinds of TV with respect to Pana plasma. Those that end with D eg. C10D are the ones that come with 3 year warranty. Those that end with S are the ones that come with 1 year warranty.
Besides, I could not make out much difference while observing the 2 models, with respect to anti glare thing. I have asked him to deliver tomorrow.
@Blasto - Please dont make me feel bad by telling me I made a mistake.:eek:
If anyone wants to buy at this rate or x10 for 39k, I can give dealers number.

Hi
I'm looking for a good deal for LCD/plasma in Delhi area. Would be much obliged if you could give dealer's details. Were you offered X10 for 39k without bargaining?

Hi
I'm looking for a good deal for LCD/plasma in Delhi area. Would be much obliged if you could give dealer's details. Were you offered X10 for 39k without bargaining?

Well one can get a 40" FHD sony lcd with DEALERs warranty for 41k in ebay.

Hi

sorry I could not reply earlier. will give you then numbers at 2 or so as i don ot have them with me right now

can someone please guide me to the link for run in process for plasma tv? also any other precautions i need to take with the new tv? is there any way to find oout whether th tv has been used before?

Many thanks to the original posters..
I just forwarded you the links..
I went through all these threads very carefully during my plasma purchase..

The other thread was 240 days old. I can not reply in it.
This is what I have done so far.
The contrast and color have been set to 30 (on a scale of 0-100), and brightness to -20 on a scale of -50 to +50
I am seeing my BD rips in zoom mode where all screen is getting filled up.
I will try to avoid DTH as it has a logo of reliance big TV.
What else can I do?
Are there exclusive settings for each and every set?
How can I know how many hours my TV has clocked?

Back