Floor Standers as Rear Surrounds?

digitalv

Don't call me mad...But given a decent HT room size, (approximately 24x30 Feet) can we use floor standers as rear surrounds in a 5.1 HT setup?

Here is the setup being envisioned.

Front FS: Mission M35i Floor Standers
Rear Surround: Mission MV8 Floor Standers
Centre: Mission M3c1i
Sub: Mission MS10/MS12

Any advantages in using Mission MV-8 FS as Rear surrounds? (the speakers are approximately at ear level or can be lifted on pedestals if required)

OR

Is it plain overkill to use floor standers as rear surrounds?

HI,

you can use floor standers as rear speakers if your place is too big otherwise it is a real waste and can create a chaos.

homiyar

why not use M33i as rear, it's from the same series as the M35i
the timber should match in this case. again i'm no expert, the experts can comment on this.

I already have the Mission MV8 (purchased recently from Savoy via Ebay) and just like Sivakuru mentioned above, I intend to use it as front's temporarily until I get better front's (evaluating purchase of Mission M35i or Wharfedales)

Why not,when I attended av-expo way back in 2003?,I remember profx demoed Denon & Kevlar(yellow)towers,they used for rears & Iceage-1sounded superb.
If you want,you can keep towers on wooden block(2ft height or more).
Which amp will be pumping those?

In a typical ht format, if you are using it in 5.1 formation, there will be a huge gap between the front and the rear speakers, so going for a bipole rear surround may be a better solution that fs. This will help in diffusing the sound rather than the fs which will act like direct radiating speakers.

If the question was related to feasibility, then its a yes. If the question was of quality, then this room would probably need a 7.1 with a bipole surround pair.

In a typical ht format, if you are using it in 5.1 formation, there will be a huge gap between the front and the rear speakers, so going for a bipole rear surround may be a better solution that fs. This will help in diffusing the sound rather than the fs which will act like direct radiating speakers.

If the question was related to feasibility, then its a yes. If the question was of quality, then this room would probably need a 7.1 with a bipole surround pair.
+1. No reason why you can't use floor standers given the advantages you have already mentioned. I have used floorstanders for a while until I got bi-poles. I like the bi-poles better because they give a larger sound stage and also cover a larger area.

Yes...floorstanding can be used a rear speakers without any worry...gives you more bass if you really like...I am also planning to use my BR5 as rear once I will go for next step....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back