Focal Sib&Cub/Denon AVR 1312

mikehcm

Hey All,

This is the first post in my life on a forum, so little tensed as well :).

I'm planning to buy home theater with 50-50 Movies-Music, after doing some research I've decided on Focal Sib&Cub 5.1 with Denon receiver 1312, the dealer(Pro FX) is offering the package for 57k, Would like your thoughts if this is a good deal to go for?

I'm also open for good config within the price range of max 60K.

Pls suggest, Thanks

You have a decent budget to build a HT system than opting for a Home theater in a box solution.

I have heard the Focal system...it is very pleasing to the ears but lacks a punch [as per my ears].

You can go for Polk audio [Floor stander tsi300 + Surrounds tsi 100 + center cs10 + sub psw110] . The dealer should provide min 15 % discount on the same :) rest depends on your bargaining skill. This will be a much powerful system for the bucks spend [slightly over 60] .

Rest final decision depens on what pleases your ears :)
Audition is the key :)

Upgrade the AVR to atleast the 1612. Higher models are better.

hi baijuxavior

I am also looking forward to buy a DENON 1312...
on papers the specs are same for both...

except for a few features the ratings in watts / channel remains same in 1312...can you elaborate on the difference?

ive heard the sib and cub
absolutely superlative for what its supposed to do

far better musicality than any 5.1 packages ive heard
i would opt for this over the bose offering anyday

go for it

You have a decent budget to build a HT system than opting for a Home theater in a box solution.

I have heard the Focal system...it is very pleasing to the ears but lacks a punch [as per my ears].

You can go for Polk audio [Floor stander tsi300 + Surrounds tsi 100 + center cs10 + sub psw110] . The dealer should provide min 15 % discount on the same :) rest depends on your bargaining skill. This will be a much powerful system for the bucks spend [slightly over 60] .

Rest final decision depens on what pleases your ears :)
Audition is the key :)

I did audition both Polk and Focal, to be honest first i wanted to go for Polk, it sounded excellent in movies, good punch, sharp voice, smooth treble, thanks to silk dome tweeter, when i comes to music IMHO it sounded little boomy with more than unusual punch, Focals are decent not as boomy as Polks but it has got good highs with decent punch, i've auditioned only music, however not sure how it would sound in movies, hope it sounds better :)

ive heard the sib and cub
absolutely superlative for what its supposed to do

far better musicality than any 5.1 packages ive heard
i would opt for this over the bose offering anyday

go for it

Magma, What do you think about the price? is it a good deal to go for?

Upgrade the AVR to atleast the 1612. Higher models are better.

Thanks baijuxavior, IMHO AVR 1612 will be no value add to these sibs as 1612 has higher RMS which the speakers cannot handle(max 75W RMS per channel), ARC - Which i may not require, USB - I use PS3, that covers streaming music from my computer and USB and finally the price difference between two models is close to 5k, If you say there will be difference in sound quality certainly i re-look 1612.

Thanks all for your thoughts, any experience with Sibs on Movies, the speakers which i auditioned is a brand new one, will this speakers requires break in(play couple of hours to get the full potential of the speakers) like tower speakers?

I also have second thought to pick AVR 1312 with Focal 714V to start with, then add other channels slowly. I've not auditioned these speakers yet, but the reviews over the Internet is little tempting to buy them. The price quoted by the dealer is 45k. I have time till mid of this month to decide, pls share your thoughts.

Focals are always overpriced
But you pay for the brand, aesthetics and a a bit more tech know how

hi baijuxavior

I am also looking forward to buy a DENON 1312...
on papers the specs are same for both...

except for a few features the ratings in watts / channel remains same in 1312...can you elaborate on the difference?

Thanks baijuxavior, IMHO AVR 1612 will be no value add to these sibs as 1612 has higher RMS which the speakers cannot handle(max 75W RMS per channel), ARC - Which i may not require, USB - I use PS3, that covers streaming music from my computer and USB and finally the price difference between two models is close to 5k, If you say there will be difference in sound quality certainly i re-look 1612.

Denon 1312 is the entry level AVR and I was suggesting a higher model for the proposed 57K budget. It is always better to be future proof. ARC, USB audio playback, Audessey Mic Setup, Higher RMS etc. are recommended features.

From avsforum:

Which model is right for me?

All of the models in the current lineup except the 1312 use the same basic components (e.g. DAC's, DSP chips), so the primary differences in audio fidelity will depend on which version of Audyssey MultEQ you have -- the "basic" flavor or the more advanced XT version. Therefore, make your decisions based on (1) connectivity and (2) features!!

For the xx12 models, ALL models feature a GUI / volume display that can overlay on top of HDMI video. NOTE however that, with the exception of the 3312ci, the GUI menus will ONLY display via the HDMI video output! That means it will NOT display over standard (yellow) composite video or component video outputs.

AVR-1312 (75 watts x 5.1 channels) - $249 msrp

The AVR-1312 is an extremely basic, stripped-down model that is essentially just an HDMI switchbox with 5 amps built in. It has 4 HDMI inputs but lacks Audyssey MultEQ (or any other auto setup program) and uses cheaper components (e.g. spring terminals for the center and surround channels, generic 96/24 DAC's, etc) than the 1612 and higher level models.

Official batpig advice: for any "serious" home theater setup, the AVR-1612 is the MINIMUM model you should consider! Although the 1612 has the same connectivity on the back panel, the AVR-1312's lack of Audyssey MultEQ is a crippling loss for any real enthusiast. The AVR-1312 also does not implement several of the HDMI 1.4 features such as standby-passthrough and ARC. The 1312 doesn't even let you rename inputs or delete unused sources!

The AVR-1312 can expand to a 7.1 by adding a 2-channel external amp to power the surround back speakers.

AVR-1612 (75 watts x 5.1 channels) - $349 msrp

Like the 1312, the AVR-1612 is a basic 5.1 model with pre-outs to expand to 7.1 (with an extra 2-ch amp powering the two additional speakers). Again, the 1612 is really the MINIMUM model that anyone on AVS should be considering for their Home Theater setup.

Stepping up from the 1312 to the 1612 adds:
* Audyssey MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume
* Front panel USB port for connected iPod, iPhone, etc.
* HDMI-CEC (allows for control connection between TV and AVR, standby passthrough, and ARC / audio return channel)
* Dolby PLIIz (if you expand to 7.1, the extra two speakers can be "height" speakers instead of "surround back")
* A superior remote control which can be programmed to control other devices (using preset codes), and has dedicated [Movie], [Music], [Game], and [Direct] buttons for controlling surround modes
* More flexible setup menus including:
--- An "Information" section of the GUI to check audio input signal, HDMI status, etc.
--- The ability to rename inputs and delete unused sources
* Three different "Restorer" modes for compressed music (vs. just one generic mode on the 1312).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369

Last edited:
Right !

Very informative thread baijuxaviour...

I will audition my POLKS with both the recievers and let ears be the best judge for the specs mentioned on papers.... :)

Also i am getting a steal deal for 1311 so i am tempted for the same over 1312 :)

Ok I already own a Panisonic VT60 and im am now in the market for a new stereo system been lookin to buy the Denon AVR x-3000 just for the simple fact its a desent system but idk yet cause Im also lookin at the focal sib cub which only holds 75w per speaker any ideas on a great set of speakers that sound good I watch alot of movies and listen to all kinds of music just lookin for a good set up thats small and compact dont really want tower speaks tho

Help!!!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back