Front Speakers + AMP under INR 50000

Kushanava

Hi Friends,
This is my first post in HifiVision. After reading through several posts I have realized that I may need specific guidance for my purchase.I am from Kolkata.

Background :
I currently own a HTIB Onkyo SKS 230 coupled with Onkyo 307 receiver.
The system was initially set up in my projector room (25 *12 sqft) but had to be moved to my Bedroom (12*10 sqft) due to lack of power/volume.:sad:

Requirement::
1.Initial stereo setup in bedroom (12*10 sq ft)
2.Long term 5.1 setup in projector room (25 *12 sq ft) by re-using the Fronts.
3.Usage:music:movies:Games= 70:20:10.I like good,clear & bold vocals with tight bass & non-fatiguing highs.Hate shrill & metallic sounds.
4.Budget 50k for initial set up.
5.Source in Use:
Music + Movies:pC with Asus Zonar with optical out ( primary) ,IPOD (2ndary)
Games:pS3

Suggestions Required
1.Splitting the budget there are two options.
a>Front speakers+amp
b>Front speakers only (reuse Onkyo 307 B ports)
Which one to choose?If I use option 1 can I re-use the amp when I upgrade to 5.1 with the same fronts?

2.Which Speakers in Kolkata and at what price?
Floorstanders or Bookshelves? I want the best in the budget without thinking of space constraints.

3.If I need to buy an amp then which one to buy.
Can Topping tp20 be used or do I need to opt for higher priced Nad or marantz or denon etc...

Will wait for your replies eagerly..............:rolleyes:

Technical Specs for Onkyo TX SR307

3 HDMI Inputs and I Output for Video
HDMI Pass-Thru* (Version 1.3 Compatible with 1080p, Deep Color, and x.v.Color)
Audyssey 2EQ to Correct Room Acoustic Problems and to Calibrate Speakers
Audyssey Dynamic Volume to Maintain Optimal Listening Level and Dynamic Range
Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction
4 DSP Modes for Gaming: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing Game (RPG)
Front-Panel Audio Input for Portable Devices
Music Optimizer for Compressed Digital Music Files
* A separate audio connection is necessary to process multichannelaudio.
AUDIO & VIDEO FEATURES

100 W/Ch at 6 ?, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, IEC
DTS, DTS Neo:6 5.1, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II
DTS Surround Sensation Speaker Technology
H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer
HDTV-Capable (720p/1080i) Component Video Switching (2 Inputs and 1 Output)
Optimum Gain Volume Control Circuitry
CinemaFILTER
A-Form Listening Mode Memory
192 kHz/24-Bit DACs for All Channels
Advanced 32-Bit Processing DSP Chip
Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function
Double Bass Function
Direct Mode
3 Digital Inputs (2 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
Speaker A/B Drive
Banana Plug-Compatible Speaker Posts for Front L/R Channels (Speaker A)
Color-Coded Speaker Terminals
Subwoofer Pre Out
Crossover Adjustment (40/50/60/80/100/120/150/200 Hz)
A/V Sync Control Function (Up to 100 ms in 20 msSteps)
Late Night Mode (High/Low/Off)
40 FM/AM Random Presets
RDS (PS/RT/PTY/TP)
Compatible with RI (Remote Interactive) Dock for the iPod
Front-Panel Auxiliary A/V Input (for Camcorders, Game Consoles, etc.)
Full-Function RI (Remote Interactive) Remote Control
OTHER FEATURES
Non-Scaling Configuration
3-Mode Display Dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer)
Tone Control (Bass/Treble) for Front L/R Channels
4 A/V Inputs and 1 Output
Video Output (Monitor)
2 Audio Inputs and 1 Output
Headphone Jack
Sleep Timer (via Remote)
Battery-Free Memory Backup

Last edited:
50K is a very good budget to start off. Try the Sonodyne SIA 320 (Approx 19K) + Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS (27k). So around 45K you have a very good stereo setup. It will be hard to find any other brand come close to this given the rupee weakening :)

thanks elangoas.I would definitely audition them.But at the same time I would also love to audition some foreign brands..like kef,paradigm,usher,wharf,klipch,ma,ms,b&w,polk,jamo,epos etc which are now available in kol.but i need a list of current models+ amp with prices that i can audition for each brand based on my SQ requirements.there are very few places in kolkata which have international brands ,so unless i know the street prices it will be hard to bargain..

Hi,

For a budget of 50k, you can finalize a Stereo amp (around 40-50 wpc) with BS speakers. Some suggestions would be:

1)Cambridge audio with Mordaunt short Aviano-2 BS
2) Marantz PM x004 series with Wharfdale 10.2 BS
3) NAD amp with PSB image B-6/ Paradigm BS

other BS to look out for are KEF Q 300/ Boston Acoustics A26. Also invest in good IC and speaker cables (recommended Chord Crimson plus IC & Chord Silverscreen speaker cables-may cost Rs.5k as combo).

Whatever be your choice, audition before you sign on your cheque.

Hope this helps,

N.Murali

I would Suggest you to get Marantz CD5004+PM5004 combo available in hifimart for 30K. With the remaining 20K, you can definitely get a decent bookshelves to start with. This set up will anyday be better than buying an expensive floor stander and connecting to your Onkyo AVR.

I am also looking for a budget stereo system for my bedroom (9ft x 11ft) mainly to listen music. I have already auditioned Sonu 2605 V3 + SIA 320 combo and like the performance greatly. The only concern for me is the room size. Not sure it will perform well or not in my small bedroom.

Considering all these thing in mind I have shortlisted below two combination.

1. Sonu 2605 V3 + SIA 320
2. Sonu 1501 V3 + SIA 310

Later I will add Roarr 108 if really required as I am not a very bass fan.

Could anyone guide me to chose the right combination. Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks & Regards,
Soumen

I am also looking for a budget stereo system for my bedroom (9ft x 11ft) mainly to listen music. I have already auditioned Sonu 2605 V3 + SIA 320 combo and like the performance greatly. The only concern for me is the room size. Not sure it will perform well or not in my small bedroom.

Considering all these thing in mind I have shortlisted below two combination.

1. Sonu 2605 V3 + SIA 320
2. Sonu 1501 V3 + SIA 310

Later I will add Roarr 108 if really required as I am not a very bass fan.

Could anyone guide me to chose the right combination. Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks & Regards,
Soumen
-----------------------
Soumen Das
Mobile: +91-98365-27139

SIA 320 + Sonus 1501 will do be a better job than FS in your room size. Bigger amplifier is any day better in getting the best out of a BS. Also it will give you options in future if you plan to pair them up with FS.

I was looking for a stereo amplifier too, can you guys help me with the prices of Sonodyne amps ?

Suggestion :
Mordaunt Short Aviano 2 mated to a Cambridge Audio Amp !

Thanks all for the--- prompt responses.
I am little confused on the recommendation of a CDP.
Since I am using the Asus Xonar 5.1 card from PC , I assume that I should be directly be able to connect to an integrated amp?
========Update===========
I did Audition the Kef Q300 with a denon amp (don't remember the model).
=>Mainly checked the vocals Jim Reeves,Celion Dion & Pavarotti,Josh Groban ,Bhimsen Joshi ,Rabindra sangeet by Sasha (using Ipod Usb connection)
=>Initial Impression:No doubt Impressed by the clarity and tonality of the vocals.However when I listened longer, I felt that the boldness was lacking.I would have loved a little more depth(i mean the rumbling voice).I am wondering if this is because of the AMP.I heard that NAD and Marantz pairs well with kef.
But unfortunately couldn't test any such combination as profx has only denon.

This weekend I am planning to audition at Harmonie House(VASU) kolkata.
They store Rega, Marantz, Wharfedale, Usher, Vpi, Paradigm, Denon, Q-Accoustic, Magnat, Ayon, QED.

Can you please suggest/add to the list below
I have this initial list ...
Q Acoustics 2050i
Wharf 10.1 /10.2/9.5
Usher s520 (I am unaware of any other model)
Paradigm ( which model ??)

Magnat (if anything can be in my price range)
etc

Note:Speaker + amp =50K (can stretch to 60K if 10k adds a significant SQ improvement)

Thanks all for the--- prompt responses.
I am little confused on the recommendation of a CDP.
Since I am using the Asus Xonar 5.1 card from PC , I assume that I should be directly be able to connect to an integrated amp?
========Update===========
I did Audition the Kef Q300 with a denon amp (don't remember the model).
=>Mainly checked the vocals Jim Reeves,Celion Dion & Pavarotti,Josh Groban ,Bhimsen Joshi ,Rabindra sangeet by Sasha (using Ipod Usb connection)
=>Initial Impression:No doubt Impressed by the clarity and tonality of the vocals.However when I listened longer, I felt that the boldness was lacking.I would have loved a little more depth(i mean the rumbling voice).I am wondering if this is because of the AMP.I heard that NAD and Marantz pairs well with kef.
But unfortunately couldn't test any such combination as profx has only denon.

This weekend I am planning to audition at Harmonie House(VASU) kolkata.
They store Rega, Marantz, Wharfedale, Usher, Vpi, Paradigm, Denon, Q-Accoustic, Magnat, Ayon, QED.

Can you please suggest/add to the list below
I have this initial list ...
Q Acoustics 2050i
Wharf 10.1 /10.2/9.5
Usher s520 (I am unaware of any other model)
Paradigm ( which model ??)

Magnat (if anything can be in my price range)
etc

Note:Speaker + amp =50K (can stretch to 60K if 10k adds a significant SQ improvement)

I did listen to the Usher s520 with PM6004.
The tonality was fantastic to my ears.Open Vocals and clear highs and distinct sound separations.

However when I played 'Chand Sifarish" I found that it seriously lacked the bass(specially the punch). Again I went back to profx for comparing KEF Q300 (new speakers , they took it out of the box) and felt that KEF had a much much better bass extension and played most of the songs very well.

So now IMO KEF Q300 has better potential than s520 but needs to be driven by better amplifiers (not Denon atleaset)

I asked the Usher dealer whether they stocked v601.He said he can get it from bangalore to kolkata if I buy it.He also mentioned there is only 1 pair left in stock and the price is 38000.

I somehow need a comparison between KEF Q300 and v601 , but couldn't find anything in the forum.

If some one can please provide me a comparison between

PSB image B6 ,KEF Q300,Usher V601 ,Quad 11l2,Epos 12m it would be of great help.

Please write soon as I have a plan to audition them next week.
Is it a good Idea to get a neutal AMP first and then go for speaker audtions.
If yes can you suggest a neutral amp that can be matched with the above choices of speakers under 30 K?

Please help !!!!

No replies :sad: after 429 views ..Anyways , I will continue updating my findings and wait for suggestions -------its like "Jodi tor dak sune keu na ashe ..tobe akla cholo re" ..:lol: :Joking!!

Last Sunday I went to SKS traders to demo some speakers.
Amp --Sudgen [ because marantz PM 6004 was out of stock ]

1.MS Aviano 2: Pretty Good for a 23 K speaker but not matching my taste.
Initially the speakers were placed very close to each other and I insisted to create more distances between them hoping to get a better separation of sound.But unfortunately IMO it was bass dominated .all boom boom stuff.
could hardly feel the details of Yanni's instruments.I had high hopes for these speakers but was disappointing :sad: Some how I didn't want to check Aviano 6 as I assumed that the tonality would be same.

2.Quad 12L2:Fresh new pieces were opened in front of me ,which caused a raise of eye brows between my brother and me.'
We started playing kandisa(Indian ocean) , and the voice rolled out beautifully.Much tighter bass than the aviano and good depth in the vocals.
Moved to Andrea Bocelli(feat with Kenny G) ..which sounded interesting.
Some how I felt that the 1L amp was not able to drive these speakers , they looked power hungry.The dealer also felt the same.The Quads were able to deliver clear vocals for vocal dominated tracks, but when it came to tracks which were instrument dominated like Ma Rewa (Indian ocean) everything got garbled ..there was no sound staging at all.May be the AMP was not supporting the speakers correctly ,but I expected better performance from a~37K speaker.

2.Epos 12Mi:We were already tired and fatigued by playing the same tracks over and over again.I did have information on Aviano and Quad before but didn't have much idea on Epos and what to expect from them.My brother and Uncle insisted to take a tea break, but I told them to finish this off in another 30mins.We listened.Track after track after track ...Now we were listening not auditioning ...we spent 2 hours on the speakers and every moment it was a pleasure to listen to them.
By God ,IMO kef Q300, Usher S520 do not stand a chance.Just two words for it Perfect balance and wide sound stage. We were in the middle of a concert with Yanni ..and Andrea Bocceli just whispered "La fa me" in my ears.
We took a step further and compared it with triangle floor standards (1.5L).
I was not willing to do this as I wanted Epos to be following me back home.. but my uncle insisted.I felt that Epos were sharper( not sure to use the word harsh!! ) and triangle was much more melodious with wider soundstage.

Now! sounds off.What is the price??

Dealer:50K , I can give you at 45K.

Me:Dam!!:mad: that's too much over my budget (30K) , but deep inside I still felt that it was worth it as because i compared triangle's price with Epos and I felt it was VFM.

Can I drive it with PM 6004 or M-CDR 603 (which I have to buy) ?

Dealer:pause!!!Not sure about M-CDR 603, but with 6004 , you can. You should come and check it next time once we have Marantz available.

Me:The deep pause of the dealer got me off-routed.I felt he was selling me something or at least trying to ...!!!I asked him to connect the Epos with CA 550.

Dealer:Can't try that , it may damage the speakers or amp.CA 550 wont be able to drive it ..the speakers require high current.

=========================================================
Requesting for help once more !!!

1.I have read reviews that Epos M12i needs better amps like Creek,Sud-gen etc.But those are very costly and seriously out of my budget.Can you suggest some budget amps.Is NAD a good match because usually it has a better wattage than Marantz within the same price range.

2.I think Epos Epic 2 has a good review .It is easier to drive (4 ohm, impedance 90 Db). Is this available in India .if yes at what price?and what is the actual price of M12i in India.

Hi,

Epos M12i are currently paired with NAD356 amp by FM mpw. Have heard the pairing & it is really good.

BUT, the price of both will be out of your budget :(

kushanava,

For your mentioned room sixe 12 by 10.. a pair of BS on stands will be lovely.

I have a NADC356 + Epos M12i combo. It is good. But i would recommed you audition if the NAD C326 sounds good to you vis a vis the C356. The C356 is more powerful and it it better to get a more powerful amp ( considering the budget.. ofcourse ).

reference point in bangalore ( search www.epos-acostics.com ) are the distributors. they quoted me 48k MRP and i am informed they would give at 42k for new piece. try to see / negotiate courier charges in that also. Please ask them if they have a demo unit on sale etc..

regarding the Epic and Elan.. i am not too sure. Never heard them.

Please refer the thread "speaker poker with NAD C356" to get the picture about how my search ended.

Tirthankar in HFV also from Kolkata will be helpful for you as he has heard the Epos M12i extensively.

Please budget about 10k for stands also to make these shine.. you will find pics in the mentioned thread too. ( Maybe the stands can be purchased for later ) ( Sound Foundations - Homepage )

You mentioned a budget of 50k initially.. if you go for new epos m12i and new NAD C356 + stands.. you will be approaching 90k.

But i can understand the experience you felt with the Epos M12i and the Sudgen. The Sudgen would be even better than the NAD ( i assume )

best of luck. Please go for something that satisfies you for the longer term.

BTW - what was the sudgen amp played and what would be the price etc.. for that ?

PS : Between the PM6004 and NAD C326.. i would pick the C326.. but this depends on the sound signature that YOU like.

regards,
mpw
mumbai

2.Epos 12Mi:
By God ,IMO kef Q300, Usher S520 do not stand a chance.Just two words for it Perfect balance and wide sound stage. We were in the middle of a concert with Yanni ..and Andrea Bocceli just whispered "La fa me" in my ears.
We took a step further and compared it with triangle floor standards (1.5L).
I was not willing to do this as I wanted Epos to be following me back home.. but my uncle insisted.I felt that Epos were sharper( not sure to use the word harsh!! ) and triangle was much more melodious with wider soundstage.

Another "ghayal" for Epod ... :D .. i was about to suggest to have one of these auditioned ..... when I read this post and I was smiling all the way. I dont own them my friend does and I off and on go to his house to enjoy some quality music ... Though its been a long time I have autiotioned any BS or FS, but I clearly remember, after numerous auditions some 1.5 years back, when I listened to EPOS I was in love, and since then have decided when ever I will have a quality stereo setup, spk would be EPOS ... :)

Thanks Denon and MPW.

@Denon :Yes, I may need to increase the budget or go for some used staff.
The alternative is delay the buy and wait for the best one in the budget!!

@MPW:
The Sud-gen was INR 1L , 50 watts.
Unfortunately , I wont be able to test M12i with Nad as SKS don't have NAD.

Are you getting enough details with a NAD amp?I know its a relative question , but NAD IMO is bass heavy.

I suppose , I can't afford a Stand and would save the 10K for the Asus Essence ST(which I also need). I would try to mod the Onkyo stands and use them or get a local Carpenter to build one for me.

I think I have two options now.

1.Wait for Epic 2 to be in kolkata and audition it with PM 6004.
2.I have one more HUGE expectation, which hopefully will be met in the next Audition:
Its: PSB image b6 + Nad

If some one has auditioned M12i and PSB with Nad , I would be eagerly waiting for his opinion...!!

kushanava,

Denom and i auditioned the PSB + NAD too.

BTW.. its denom and not denon.. ha ha ha..

many people find the psb + NAD combo to be excellent. Maybe you will too.

Check out the Image B5 too since your room size is 10 by 12.

maybe that will fit your budget nicely too and still run with a NAD C326 ( which is not a bad amp at all )

reg - am i getting details - i think you nailed it.. that will differ but.. i am happy.. i think i am getting a lot more detailing than my previous speakers. But thats was in a different price range altogether.

Lets assume you want to stick to an amp + fronts in 50k. I will request you to look at the little Dali lektor 1's + Marantz combo. Very sweet things. Front ported and wall mounting provision available ( you can use this till you get your stands )

there are many options there that can fit your budget and keep you smiling too.

One of the more talked about is Hari Iyers TL Bookshelf speakers.. there and may posts on this subject. If your taste for music is instrumental, jazz, vocals etc.. then thesxe may work for you. Please check out the review section too and PM our FM avidyarthy reg TL speakers.. there is a long thread there too.

Hope you dont find all this confusing.. so i will refrain from adding anything more ( as of now ). Hopefully other FM's may also chip in and guide.

There is no right or wrong choice - just trust your ears.

mpw

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back