Fronts Speakers (BS/ FS) for Yamaha AVR V373 - budget 10-30K

RMCWS

Here's another similar post of mine looking for your help. With the help of the experienced FMs here, I have been able to slowly building up my system with very limited budget. Though I was looking for HTiB initially, FMs here convinced me to go 'separate', which I did and do not regret at all (only thing I regret that my bank statement does not look healthy anymore)

I go myself a YAMAHA 373, using my existing sony bs speakers as fronts and recently I bought Sonodyne Sonus C2501 after bit of research and help from you guys.

Now it's time to select the FRONT SPEAKERS

Room size - 17x12 (and height is around 10/11ft)
Preference - movies: music = 50:50
For movies I like action, war and horror and music is mostly classic rock, metal etc. I prefer the heavy bass oriented sound.

Since I have already purchased a Sonodyne Centre, I think I have to stick to Sonodyne only for better sound quality. If that is the case, I think I have two options:

1. Sonodyne Sonus 1501 V3 Bookshelf Loudspeaker for Rs.12,700/-

2. Sonodyne Sonus 2504 V3 Floorstanding Loudspeaker for Rs.22,280/-

and I also have this FS in mind

3. Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 Floorstanding Loudspeaker for Rs.31,060/-

But as far as I my little knowledge goes and mostly what I have been suggested here earlier, that my AVR is not powerful enough to drive the FS or rather the FS would remain under utilized.

Now my question is:

A> Should I go for BS or FS?

B> Since I already have Sonodyne Centre (which I like very much), I guess I have to settle for Sonodyne only and mostly for the same series, right?

B> If my current AVR is underpower to drive the FS, is it advisable to invest in FS now so that when I upgrade the AVR in future, I can utilize these FS fully?

C> Does using an under power avr with FS damage the AVR or the SPEAKERS or both? Or does it only result in under performance and does not cause any damage in real sense?

Thank you guys in advance. Will wait for your valuable advice so that I have the best out of my limited budget.

I would say pick the Sonus 1501 BS for the time being & try to complete your 5.1 setup.... You AVR will suffice for these speakers....Keep saving money & more importantly keep an eye on the trend of AVR.....

When you plan to upgrade your AVR after some years, move the Sonus 1501 BS as surround back (or) front height speakers & then get a Sonodyne Sonus FS....

This way you save money for you next purchase & enjoy the current setup...

Regarding the Fronts & center, stick to the same family from one brand... You may choose surrounds of a different brand (or) family...

Now my question is:

A> Should I go for BS or FS?
Your AVR can drive a FS without issues. Among the two options given I would recommend the FS since you are using them for movies also (not that BS is not ideal for movies).

B> Since I already have Sonodyne Centre (which I like very much), I guess I have to settle for Sonodyne only and mostly for the same series, right?
Very much Yes. Timbre matching across L-C-R is quite important for a seamless integration though it is not a deal breaker for entry level systems.

B> If my current AVR is underpower to drive the FS, is it advisable to invest in FS now so that when I upgrade the AVR in future, I can utilize these FS fully?
For moderate volumes, this power is adequate. Sensitivity of the FS is 91db which is fairly good.

C> Does using an under power avr with FS damage the AVR or the SPEAKERS or both? Or does it only result in under performance and does not cause any damage in real sense?
When you drive the speakers using a low power amp at very high volumes, distortion will kick in which is when you know you are going overboard. The stress on AVR is usually due to the low frequencies. You can setup the cross overs such that the bass is managed more by the sub woofer (if you have) than the FS. Also set the size of speakers to small in AVR settings to minimize the load on speakers. I had driven Energy floorstanders (recommended amp power is 200W) with Yamaha 471 (which is not so vastly different in power handling compared to 373) at high volumes and I never faced an issue

Thanks a ton for your advice Santy.

Now if I have to select FS, which one would be better considering my room size, preference, avr etc. (details of which is given in the first post).

The price difference between these 3 (1501, 2504 and 2605) are almost 10k which I need to consider too.

I would say, pick up 2504.

Alternatively you might want to put a wanted thread for FS in this budget, you may get a better deal, ofcourse if you are open for used speakers.

yes,The price difference between these 3 (1501, 2504 and 2605) are almost 10k which I need to consider too.
otcC

Thanks for your offer spirovious. It seems you are selling L+R+Centre for 17K. However, since I already have a sonodyne centre, don't you think I should go for Sonodyne only? How will a sonodyne centre gel with non-sonodyne fronts?

Alternatively you might want to put a wanted thread for FS in this budget, you may get a better deal, ofcourse if you are open for used speakers.

I don't mind as long as they are good with reasonably priced. But I'd prefer to have it from Calcutta based seller. Kind of skeptical about shipping considering the recent posts here regarding damages during shipping.

Most probably I will post in 'wanted' section soon.

Thanks guys...

Finally booked Sonus 1501 BS today from South City Mall, Kolkata.

MPR = Rs.13,710/-
Disc = 20% on old product.
Actually paid = Rs.10,968/-

Expecting delivery next week. :)

It is amazing that after setting out with a budget of 10 - 30k, you settled down at the lower end of it! Many of us end up with a much higher spend than the higher end of our initial budget! :eek:hyeah:

Any reason why you did not get the Sono FS eventhough it was well within your budget? Anyway congrats...

Any reason why you did not get the Sono FS eventhough it was well within your budget? Anyway congrats...

Reasons :eek:hyeah:

1. Many suggested that Avr 373 is not powerful enough to drive the FS. So FS would remain underutilized. Kind of confused with it since it is my first purchase.

2. I may buy the FS in next January with 26% discount and shift these BS to rear.

3. My need is 50:50 for movies and music. But after using this system for music (373 with a philips dvd player as source for music) I have noticed and loved the improvement in SQ. So I have even thought of building a separate system (amp + cd player + FS) in near future. So then I might go for Sonodyne or any other FS for 2 channel stereo set up.

4. Though my budget was 10-30, I have now around 20K excess which I can use to buy a sub next.

5. I have recently bought many Bluray on 50% discount and 'wasted' lots of money, so I am kind of happy too with this 'cheap' bookshelf. :D

1. Many suggested that Avr 373 is not powerful enough to drive the FS. So FS would remain underutilized. Kind of confused with it since it is my first purchase.

I will say you were misguided. I have 471 which is not very powerful than 373 and I was driving FS so beautifully. And someone bought the complete set and he is enjoying as well.

2. I may buy the FS in next January with 26% discount and shift these BS to rear.

That's a perfectly fine idea.

3. My need is 50:50 for movies and music. But after using this system for music (373 with a philips dvd player as source for music) I have noticed and loved the improvement in SQ. So I have even thought of building a separate system (amp + cd player + FS) in near future. So then I might go for Sonodyne or any other FS for 2 channel stereo set up.

There is no need for separate system yet. You can upgrade to FS as you plannned and use it for music with an amp and DAC/ CDP. All you need to do is to swap the speaker cables between AVR and AMP. Its not too difficult IMO, I had been doing it.

4. Though my budget was 10-30, I have now around 20K excess which I can use to buy a sub next.

OK that was not a part of your initial budget allocation. :rolleyes: But yes, sub is very important and good that you saved some money. Get it soon.

5. I have recently bought many Bluray on 50% discount and 'wasted' lots of money, so I am kind of happy too with this 'cheap' bookshelf. :D

That is what matters at the end of the day. It gives lot of satisfaction to get satisfaction with minimum spend.:clapping:

So you now enjoy!

Why do you think that you have wasted money in buying Bluray? Are the picture quality not up to the mark or are they not playing in you player?

Sorry for being sarcastic. In fact I am very happy with the bluray. The quality of the bds vary from one another but overall I am satisfied especially with the recent 50% off. They are also playing in my bd player. :)

I have proceeded somewhat in similar lines as yours. I bought the Yamaha 371 and then the Sonodyne 1501 pair. Loved their SQ, gradually as months wore on I wanted more and more. So this 20th I bought the Sia 320 amp, even though my primary source is 320 Kbps mp3s from iPod touch the improvement on sound quality is noticeable. You are in for a surprise when you get a dedicated amp for music listening. :clapping:
Also as Santy mentioned I am switching the cables between the AVR and Amp for now, a little extra work but saves money. :)
Gradually building my CD collection...oh..the anticipation for the Pink Floyd and Deep Purple CDs to arrive which I just ordered from flipkart....:licklips:

I have proceeded somewhat in similar lines as yours. I bought the Yamaha 371 and then the Sonodyne 1501 pair. Loved their SQ, gradually as months wore on I wanted more and more. So this 20th I bought the Sia 320 amp, even though my primary source is 320 Kbps mp3s from iPod touch the improvement on sound quality is noticeable. You are in for a surprise when you get a dedicated amp for music listening. :clapping:
Also as Santy mentioned I am switching the cables between the AVR and Amp for now, a little extra work but saves money. :)
Gradually building my CD collection...oh..the anticipation for the Pink Floyd and Deep Purple CDs to arrive which I just ordered from flipkart....:licklips:

It seems you don't have a sub. How are liking Floyd and Deep Purple (classic rock) kind of music without sub? I like bass in music, so these bs are enough without bass?

Even I have booked floyd and Deep purple along with few Santana and Hendrix Cds. :)

Hi,

Would like to know about your experience so far with the Yamaha + Sonodyne combo. I will take audition anyway but not sure whether it will be driven by Yamaha in Sonodyne showroom.

1)How is it for Music listening? Do you have to turn the volume knob a lot as 1501 is only 86db sensitivity
2)Is it bright sound signature with normal AVR setting
3) Center channel performance for dialogues and clarity
4)I know these are entry level BS and might lack bass. What is your listening impression? Is it producing reasonable bass to enjoy movies till I get Sub?
I am planning something similar RX-V375/475 + 1501 BS + C2501.
The price for 1501 BS+ C2501 will be very attractive and affordable ( Around 17k) If there is a January discount from Sonodyne.

Hi,

Would like to know about your experience so far with the Yamaha + Sonodyne combo. I will take audition anyway but not sure whether it will be driven by Yamaha in Sonodyne showroom.

1)How is it for Music listening? Do you have to turn the volume knob a lot as 1501 is only 86db sensitivity
This is my first hifi setup. Earlier I used to listen to music (mp3s) on my PC connected to an very old Sony music system (cd/ cassette player) acting as an amp. Considering the upgrade from it, it is 100 times better.

But frankly speaking I don't really have much experience with other set up. But here I thoroughly enjoy music (most rock/ metal/ AR Rehman/ bangla stuff) Most people have recommended to go for Yamaha as my need was 50-50 for movies and music. And I think Sonodyne BS is doing justice. My volume for music (2-channel) is generally between -20 to -25db and sometimes to max -15db. And even max -10db for movies too. Please note that I don't have a sub yet.

But I also plan to upgrade to a stereo amp for music in future. I guess that will be far better than using avr for music.

2)Is it bright sound signature with normal AVR setting
It is slightly towards the bright side.

3) Center channel performance for dialogues and clarity
Depending on the source also. However, the clarify is good for movies in centre channel.

4)I know these are entry level BS and might lack bass. What is your listening impression? Is it producing reasonable bass to enjoy movies till I get Sub?
I also don't have a sub now. But i like the bass in movies as well as music. For movies, sw is necessary otherwise you will miss those bang bang impact. For music, it is decent without sw but also depends on the genre of music you follow. Since I am more into rock, bass plays a dominant role and hence I'd love to add the sw soon (most probably this Jan too)

I am planning something similar RX-V375/475 + 1501 BS + C2501.
The price for 1501 BS+ C2501 will be very attractive and affordable ( Around 17k) If there is a January discount from Sonodyne.
(Since, Jan 26 is just a couple of weeks away, wait for it. Discount will be available at Kolkata for sure. Buy at that time [MRP - 26% disc + 6% shipping] and you will get around 20% discount.

Answers in BOLD :yahoo:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back