FS speakers for Marantz PM7004

Peri

Suddenly I felt the need for a dedicated audio system for my bedroom. My current setup comprises of a Philips DVD player (source), CA DAC Magic, CA Azur 340A and Wharfedale diamond 9.2 speakers. I want a more powerful dedicated setup. A friend of mine coming from Singapore next month agreed to get me a Marantz PM7004 amp. I am planning to get a Marantz CD6003 (hopefully the group buy is getting thru) for the source.

Now, I need help from fellow members owning PM700X series amps to suggest me good FS speakers for this setup. The requirements are tight controlled bass, clear mids and highs; preferably 3-way with a small footprint. My budget is 35k (can stretch a little). My music preferences are Tamil/Hindi soundtracks, English pop and hip-hop.

Also, any pointers to audition the suggested speakers in Chennai will be of great help.

Hi Peri

lemme give a quick suggestion.
I own wharfedale diamond 10.5 and marantz PM6003. for your kinda requirements i think these FS would go very well. they are superb at mids with balanced lows and highs. and for hindi/tamil kinda music they would do brilliantly as such music is mostly vocally dominated.
Even lossy mp3 files from my lappy give absolute clear vocals and room filling experience. i hear a few hindi albums like those of lucky ali, indian ocean, junoon..
suggest you to definitely give these 10.5 a demo..and they lie comfortably within your budget.
specs you can find on wharfedale site- Product - Products - Wharfedale Hi-Fi

See if you can find pre-owned EPOS/Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. You can get EPOS series bookshelfs only new for the budget.

Hi Peri

lemme give a quick suggestion.
I own wharfedale diamond 10.5 and marantz PM6003. for your kinda requirements i think these FS would go very well. they are superb at mids with balanced lows and highs. and for hindi/tamil kinda music they would do brilliantly as such music is mostly vocally dominated.
Even lossy mp3 files from my lappy give absolute clear vocals and room filling experience. i hear a few hindi albums like those of lucky ali, indian ocean, junoon..
suggest you to definitely give these 10.5 a demo..and they lie comfortably within your budget.
specs you can find on wharfedale site- Product - Products - Wharfedale Hi-Fi

Does the Marantz PM6003 ,, drive the 10.5 Towers well... I mean Marantz 6003 is just 45wpc.... And I hav heard reviews on the forum that Pm6003 is good till Bookshelves.... everyones recommending PM700x series here,,,, Hws yr experience with the 6003 does it easily drive the FS well.. and if yes, whats yr yr listening spcae??

Last edited:
Does the Marantz PM6003 ,, drive the 10.5 Towers well... I mean Marantz 6003 is just 45wpc.... And I hav heard reviews on the forum that Pm6003 is good till Bookshelves. spcae??

its a fact, I don't understand why these days many manufacturers specify a range of power wattage for the use of a compatible equp., WHF says 20-100 watts@ 6ohm for diamond 10.5, surely it does not help a prospective buyer

PM7004 is rated at around 80wpc @6 ohm and if we think of FS within 35K, then

1. Wharfedale 10.4,10.5, both hv bass,mid drivers and tweeter, 3 way
2. Polk Audio both RTi and TSi series FS will be underpowered
3. JBL,KEF will be way out of range
4.Mordaunt Short carnival 6,8 close enough, aviano 6 also so but budget needs to be stretched slightly

its a fact, I don't understand why these days many manufacturers specify a range of power wattage for the use of a compatible equp., WHF says 20-100 watts@ 6ohm for diamond 10.5, surely it does not help a prospective buyer

So u mean PM6003 can drive the wharfies 9.5 well???

yeah Hemant..PM6003 drive them 10.5 well..I had same apprehension earlier and then my dealer told me that PM6003 is enough to drive them..
my room is smallish and i know that even a bigger room would have itself filled with my set up..so..no problem with the way PM6003 is driving them

Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 approx Rs.40000 would be a great option.

Hi Peri,

I have PM 6003 with MS Aviano-2 BS Speakers, they are made for each other.
For PM 70xx look no further than the MS Aviano-6 FS, they have had good reviews. Contact Cressida AV Zone for demo. BTW what is your room size, if you want good BS at the same price, consider Dali Ikon series they go very well with Marantz amps.

Just my Rs.2/-(How do I type the new Rupee symbol?)

N.Murali

N.Murali

OT:

By installing the Rupee Foradian font on the Server/Computer, selecting the rupee foradian font and typing the ` key (above the tab key on most keyboards)

The article below says that Microsoft has also added support for the font.

Microsoft adds support for Indian Rupee Symbol - Windows Valley

Some companies have incorporated the symbol into their keyboards. (next to number 4)

???????? :p (AltGr+4 in Lucid Lynx after I installed some fonts and changed the keyboard layout to Indian variant with rupee sign)

@praveeng, @ kittu1977, @askii2, @akd, @ravin, @murali_n, @musicmaya & @fran_elite

Thanks for all your inputs. The bottomline is that I may have to finalize one of the following two options:

1. MS Aviano 6
2. Wharfedale 10.5

I will wait for some more time to get inputs and then I'll go on a audition spree...

Hi Peri,

I have PM 6003 with MS Aviano-2 BS Speakers, they are made for each other.
For PM 70xx look no further than the MS Aviano-6 FS, they have had good reviews. Contact Cressida AV Zone for demo. BTW what is your room size, if you want good BS at the same price, consider Dali Ikon series they go very well with Marantz amps.

N.Murali

Murali,

Thanks. I'll check with Cressida for an audition. Do you have any idea on the approximate cost of MS Aviano 6? My room size is 18 x 14 ft. Ceiling height should be about 15 ft though I am not very sure.

Do Cressida stock Dalis also?

I am running atc scm 10 with marantz pm 8003, it's just class, different league

This weekend I am getting pm 7004 for test with atc

Btw since u r friend has agreed to bring amp, why do you want marantz?

Think rotel RA 1520, almost same as 7004 pricing, but will compete with high end amps.

If you can get speakers too from sg, I will suggest to go for dynaudio dm2/7.
They will cost 1000$sg

Good combo either with rotel or marantz

Thanks. Do you know where I can get Rotel in Singapore. I was under the impression that Marantz is cheaper in Singapore. I am not sure about the speakers that whether he can carry with him or need to ship them.

Murali,

Thanks. I'll check with Cressida for an audition. Do you have any idea on the approximate cost of MS Aviano 6? My room size is 18 x 14 ft. Ceiling height should be about 15 ft though I am not very sure.

Do Cressida stock Dalis also?

Hi Peri,

It may cost around 40k. It will be perfect for your room. You can consider Musicmaya's suggestion if budget is not a constraint. Cressida also stocks Dalis.

N.Murali

@praveeng, @ kittu1977, @askii2, @akd, @ravin, @murali_n, @musicmaya & @fran_elite

Thanks for all your inputs. The bottomline is that I may have to finalize one of the following two options:

1. MS Aviano 6
2. Wharfedale 10.5

I will wait for some more time to get inputs and then I'll go on a audition spree...

Hi Peri,

MS is better than Wharfedales for Marantz combo IMHO.

N.Murali

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back