Garrard 301 takes off

Since there is a renewed interest in the SL1200/1210, here's a possible source:

Technics SL-1210M5G Pro Turntable, Black - Ahmedabad: Home - Kitchen Appliances in Ahmedabad at Quikr Ahmedabad

I asked a colleague in Ahmedabad to go check it out (about a fortnight ago) and he came back with the report that it was not available with owner as he had sent it for repair. Later I got info that the repair was nothing more than disconnected earth wire that was soldered back.

Attractive price, too.

PS: this was for another colleague from Delhi - not for me :)

In fact I would believe that a Technics 1200 even without mods but with good tonearm and cartridge can easily take on the likes of Thorens and Garrards unless the later very well modified. And it costs just $900 new !!! You dont even get an average CDP for that money. In fact at one point I was strongly looking to buy a 12XX for myself but just because I could not audition one I didnt take the plunge.

The Japanese being superstitious chose the 301 over the 401 because 3 is a lucky number and 4 is not... so, despite the 401 being a better built table, the 301 is more 'wanted'....

The superstitious part yup, but according to loricraft the 401 has the better parts but the 301 was better put together so sounds better. Then again ex factory guys believe in the 401. I personally would be happy with either but would prefer a 301 with the non strobe platter.

Thanks to gerry the merry's kind words, got inspired again, uncovered the garrard and set it up again with the ortofon om5e. Adjusted the tonearm and aligned cart this time. To cut a long story short will be packing up the project rpm 9 soon.

Tapatalking. Look ma, no computer!

Adjusted the tonearm and aligned cart this time. To cut a long story short will be packing up the project rpm 9 soon.

looks like in a couple of months i'll be packing away the Clearaudio too!

Joshua yeah had wanted to send my garrard to them got a detailed quote breakup also then realized I preferred my garrard with a nice vintage look its like a lived in pair of jeans compared to a brand new one you know? It's also a reminder that something so old still got the cojones to take on and even out play so many modern 'advanced' decks :)

Something that might help other SME 3012 owners especially Kuruvilajacob who asked me :)

I've been searching for a while on the best way to align carts on my SME 3012. Tried the sme null points 60 and 110. Then found a good option to the original sme single point protractor from a vinylengine member. Use the chpratz protractor from vinyl engine or any other protractor that has markings and align at a single point at 60.3mm. Played one disc sounds much better overall, better balance, easier to discern individual musical threads. Will pick up the single point SME protractor now. Dead simple to use and so far apparently delivers better results than the generic two pointer and can be accomplished in ten seconds flat. One lives and learns...

Hi,

Will pick up the single point SME protractor now.

Steven,I have one (at least) if you want I can scan/Xerox it and send it to you.

For the SME arms it is best to use the SME template and protractor.

Regards
Rajiv

A scan would be lovely Rajiv. Thanks a lot. You have my email I think. The same protractor is valid for the 3009 and 3012 right? When I had asked the smetonearms Canada guy whether it was the same he said only for the 3009 arm then later on I found that the same one is for both. Even the leaflets show the same one.

Regards

Hi,

Manav(malvai) has offered to make exact copies of the SME mounting templates and the SME alignment protractor .

Members who want the templates and protractor please contact him.

I will be couriering him the original SME templates for the SME 3012,3009/II, 3009 improved tonearms and also the alignment gauge.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,

There's only one single point protractor for the 9 and 12" arms right?

Regards

I think there are multiple types depending on the series. I am also confused. I am just waiting for Manav to work his Corel magic and bless us all with his printable protractor. BTW, I got my 3012 yesterday. Needs some work and lots of cleaning and polishing. I think even the wiring is a bit wrong but the wires are fair condition. Will need to get out the multimeter.

Cool Joshua! All the best setting the arm up now! A cardas rewire should be in order now...

Yes apparently the series II were stevenson and the series II R were baerwald. Not too sure about that though... The vinylengine forum mentions that the single point protractor is valid for the series II 3009 and 3012, hope Rajiv confirms this...

Edit: downloaded the single point fellow from vinylengine, also the series IIR is indeed different geometry with null points at 66 and 121. I shall however be ordering an original alignment protractor just for nostalgia, a right ole sucker I am...

Last edited:
Hi,

There's only one single point protractor for the 9 and 12" arms right?

The protractors that I have for the 3009/II and 3012 look the same.I seem to have misplaced the one that came with the 3009/II improved.

All the manuals for the SME arms are there so even this protractor should be there.Just have to look more carefully.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Links to a Japanese website that I had saved.

This person has made protractors for various tonearms. He says his protractors are more accurate than the original SME ones.

Does he mean that the sound is not as good as using the original SME protractor?

Using Google translate.

That reproduces exactly the zero point horizontal angle tracking error is the alignment protractor.
Is more accurate than the template that comes with SME.
However, the change is not feeling well even if the speck tightly regulated so far. Was created for self-satisfaction will continue to last.

Studio?Kuro????????:?????????????

http://flashdaiyo.exblog.jp/i16/1/

Google Translate

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

I downloaded the pdf printed 1:1 the overhang was right, but the inner null point measures 60, same as SME single point protractor I downloaded from vinylengine. Maybe the fat lines and fat lines on a ruler don't allow one to measure the .2? Guess I'll stick to the SME one only.

Regards

I printed (on an A4 page) the one for the 3012 I & II and measured it. Inner null is a wee bit over 60 mm but clearly below 60.5 mark so this looks accurate. But the outer null measures nearly 110 instead of 109.5. But I guess for all practical purpose this can be deemed accurate. Sub-millimetric accuracy is in any case quite difficult to achieve while aligning.

Thanks, Rajiv for sharing this link.

This Jap guy is clearly obsessed with protractors:)

I have a question. Am looking at getting a decent spacer for the SME tonearm. Which would be better, bronze or brass? Or are both the same sonically? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back