Garrard 401

jls001

For those inclined, here's a Garrard 401.

Garrard 401 Turntable record player for sale - Mumbai: Everything Else in Mumbai at Quikr Mumbai

Seller is willing to club a Kenwood integrated amp KA 7002 in the price of above TT.

Joshua

Disclaimer and full disclosure:): I have no financial or any sort of interest in this sale. In fact it's because of my disinterest that I am posting this! Just trying to help the seller who gave the right of first refusal. In fact the photos on the quickr link above are shot with my phone cam (pls excuse the yellowish tinge - that's because of the flash - it's not really that yellow in real life).

Any idea how much he's selling it for? You can PM me the info if you like.

Cheers
Tek

A quick description for the benefit of those who may be interested:

1. The plinth is in a terrible shape as can be seen from the photos I posted on flickr. If one has to buy it, the first thing needed is to make a new plinth. Also note that the previous owner/joker had used four 3-inch plastic door blocker as bottom support. That needs to be thrown far, far away:lol:
2. On-Off switch works well, but is unusually hard to operate.
3. Speed selector switches work, but 33 rpm needs a bit of a counter-clockwise twist to get it going. 45 and 78 work fine.
4. Speed adjuster works well.
5. The silver switches panel is worn and not good looking.
6. Arm is SME 3009. Movements up/down, left/right was smooth.
7. Headshell is also SME.
8. Cartridge is EEI 33/78 type. It is supposed to be changeable to either speed but is aligned to neither right now. Immensely in need of replacement!
9. The underbelly looks quite alright save for the cobwebs. Cabling needs serious tidying up.
Joshua

A quick description for the benefit of those who may be interested:

1. The plinth is in a terrible shape as can be seen from the photos I posted on flickr. If one has to buy it, the first thing needed is to make a new plinth. Also note that the previous owner/joker had used four 3-inch plastic door blocker as bottom support. That needs to be thrown far, far away:lol:
2. On-Off switch works well, but is unusually hard to operate.
3. Speed selector switches work, but 33 rpm needs a bit of a counter-clockwise twist to get it going. 45 and 78 work fine.
4. Speed adjuster works well.
5. The silver switches panel is worn and not good looking.
6. Arm is SME 3009. Movements up/down, left/right was smooth.
7. Headshell is also SME.
8. Cartridge is EEI 33/78 type. It is supposed to be changeable to either speed but is aligned to neither right now. Immensely in need of replacement!
9. The underbelly looks quite alright save for the cobwebs. Cabling needs serious tidying up.
Joshua

Hi Joshua,

Your assessment is spot on, esp on the items highlighted in bold! :D I could not believe my eyes when i saw it:eek:

The TT seems to have weathered a few monsoons out in the open. Sad to see its condition, but hope it gets a good refurbishment & is brought back to its original glory. What is the current owner asking for it?

What is the current owner asking for it?

This guy is a seller/trader - not the original owner. He was asking for 40K. I told him no as there's too much work ahead to bring it up to some semblance of respectability and playability. Next time I met him, he'd come down by 10K. Yesterday, he sweetened the deal further by offering to throw in the Kenwood integrated. I don't really need the Kenwood amp, but there could be someone out there looking for just such and amp. Still too pricey for me.
Joshua

The costliest part is the tonearm. Its price would be upward of 15k. Balance is junk since plinth needs replacement. IMHO this piece should not be more than 20k or so. I am not sure abt the amp as to what value it adds to the deal.

After looking at it I realised it is in horrible condition.Absolutly pathetic. If visible condition is that bad what will be internal one?

That brought me a thought that Denom;s Lenco L 75was in fantastic condition against that. ( Denom did not had phono stage so that thing was with me for a week, i can vouch for physicl condition)

Now I feel Denoms 30 K asking is really good price .. or Denon 401 is such a big brand that this trash deserves 30 k??

IMO at 30k this piece is not worth. Its not against the brand and model but the condition of this piece. It appears the piec would need massive overhauling. It would add 10k more to the cost at least.

Wow!! This magnificent turntable is in pathetic condition, looks like it was thrown under someones old furniture in a godown for ages...from the english language used in the advert, it is evident that some "panwaala broker" is selling it and not the original owner. Looks like it was picked up as scrap from someone's home. The clever man has also done some googling...pathetic!!

Apologize for the hash words but its just out of the frustration, seeing such a legendary turntable reduced to a piece of crap. Would need atleast 15-20k worth of work on it and a lot of patience in searching for spares.

Another joke - the seller has the audacity to say "Here I have Garrard 401 in great working condition for sale. Requires little cleaning"

Last edited:
This piece was sold a couple of days after my initial post. To another seller in Bangalore for 35K.

I had been to Mumbai for a day to pick up the 401 for a very good friend (no commercial interest). We are working on refurbishing it.

regards

Congrats Abhishek, so thats a 301 and 401 under restoration. Any modifications/upgrades planned?

Congrats Abhishek, so thats a 301 and 401 under restoration. Any modifications/upgrades planned?

Thanks Santosh,

Sorry for the late reply, have been traveling all these days. Its just the 401, we dint get the 301. Its up and running :) but the cosmetics are being planned now

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back