Genelec Active Loudspeakers

Welcome to the Genelec club :)

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the G4s.

I have found that Genelec (and other top tier pro audio brands like Barefoot, PSI, ATC) are superior to many many high end audiophile brands (certainly many times over if you compare at the same price point). Once you account for an expensive amp and the advantages that active brings vs passive, the ROI is simply far better and sound quality isn't surpassed until you spend a LOT more money on conventional audiophile equipment.

I can personally attest to this as I have done both lol.
Best way to describe Genelecs.

Where can we audition Genelacs in Bangalore? Any insights to India pricing would also be very helpful. I am keen to put in actives in my new set up and the only worthwhile active I saw at or below 3L was LS50 II. I would love to buy the ATC actives in the future.

Where can we audition Genelacs in Bangalore? Any insights to India pricing would also be very helpful. I am keen to put in actives in my new set up and the only worthwhile active I saw at or below 3L was LS50 II. I would love to buy the ATC actives in the future.

The Audio Video People is the regional distributor for Genelec. They have a showroom on St Mark's Road and another shop on Infantry Road. Ask for Mr Farooq. He has all the models for audition.

The basic 80x0 Genelecs are competitive vs ATC 19 actives. The higher end 8341/51 3 way concentric models with advanced room correction are better than ATC actives upto SCM50 in many ways for me - however listening for pleasure is highly subjective, so audition is strongly recommended. I have used all of the above either at home or in the studio, so speaking from personal experience.

Hope this is helpful.

The Audio Video People is the regional distributor for Genelec. They have a showroom on St Mark's Road and another shop on Infantry Road. Ask for Mr Farooq. He has all the models for audition.

The basic 80x0 Genelecs are competitive vs ATC 19 actives. The higher end 8341/51 3 way concentric models with advanced room correction are better than ATC actives upto SCM50 in many ways for me - however listening for pleasure is highly subjective, so audition is strongly recommended. I have used all of the above either at home or in the studio, so speaking from personal experience.

Hope this is helpful.
My experience with Genelec has been at audio shows in Bangalore. Never really worked for me. Need to listen to them in a typical home or showroom. I have a very similar experience with ATC as well. At showrooms, it never worked for me but at homes where the owner has taken pains to set it up right, it sounds outstanding.

Do you work in a Studio ?

My experience with Genelec has been at audio shows in Bangalore. Never really worked for me. Need to listen to them in a typical home or showroom. I have a very similar experience with ATC as well. At showrooms, it never worked for me but at homes where the owner has taken pains to set it up right, it sounds outstanding.

Do you work in a Studio ?

Not surprised, wouldn't bother with genelecs (at any price), they sound cold and analytical.

Not surprised, wouldn't bother with genelecs (at any price), they sound cold and analytical.
I have not heard any studio monitor-type speakers ever, Genelecs in particular. Hence I don't know about its natural sound. But I have heard many people saying they sound analytical.
I thought Genelec speakers could be potentially tuned with EQs as per one's likes. A downside to EQing being moderate SPLs.
If you have heard these type of speakers, could you please explain a bit more about what about these speakers are inherently wrong?
Is it that they naturally sound 'cold and analytical'. But wouldn't it go away with EQ?
Asking out of genuine interest to know and not for bringing up an argument.

I am sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask such questions (as I have made such mistakes in the past). Please feel free to delete this comment if anyone finds it inappropriate to this thread.

Thanks
Vineeth

I have not heard any studio monitor-type speakers ever, Genelecs in particular. Hence I don't know about its natural sound. But I have heard many people saying they sound analytical.
I thought Genelec speakers could be potentially tuned with EQs as per one's likes. A downside to EQing being moderate SPLs.
If you have heard these type of speakers, could you please explain a bit more about what about these speakers are inherently wrong?
Is it that they naturally sound 'cold and analytical'. But wouldn't it go away with EQ?

I am sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask such questions (as I have made such mistakes in the past). Please feel free to delete this comment if anyone finds it inappropriate to this thread.

Thanks
Vineeth

You can certainly improve it with EQ but they are designed to be monitors.

In general the more flatter the response, the more HF it has the colder and more analytical it sounds, when you start curving the HF up then some people like that sound. I am talking about the frequency response both at LP and natively close mic/outdoors/anechoic.

Thanks
Vineeth

You seem to be in Bangalore from your profile. Why don't you go hear the Genelecs and decide for yourself?

I have answered something similar about why I feel people find studio speakers cold in great detail in another post. Linking to it in case it helps-
Post in thread 'Passive bookshelf speakers for nearfield listening' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...ers-for-nearfield-listening.85817/post-960442

You seem to be in Bangalore from your profile. Why don't you go hear the Genelecs and decide for yourself?

I have answered something similar about why I feel people find studio speakers cold in great detail in another post. Linking to it in case it helps-
Post in thread 'Passive bookshelf speakers for nearfield listening' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...ers-for-nearfield-listening.85817/post-960442
Thank you for your reply and sharing your perspectives about sound of studio monitor in the other thread. I am not in Bangalore currently and will try to have a listen to these speakers when I get a chance. :)
My question to know more about sound of studio monitors is purely academic for now. Also, I wanted to know more about Decadent_spectre's perspective about these speakers. Hence asked the question here.
If my pursuit in audio was an objectively (and probably subjectively as well with EQ) good speaker, it would have ended with Genelec 8351B or similar models with a complementary W371A bass module. Objectively, it has most of what I could ask for (to the kind of SPLs I listen to) like a good acoustic concept and a supporting construct. It has a minimum diffraction enclosure, coincident coaxial drivers resulting in good vertical and horizontal directivity control, a cardiod bass module, and other things.
But I just can't stand its looks how much ever I try and can't afford a pair of the above set of speakers, price-wise :D

Question - @vineetrad - where can one buy Genelec's in India other than Hifimart? Can you give any store/dealer website/contact here?

Question - @vineetrad - where can one buy Genelec's in India other than Hifimart? Can you give any store/dealer website/contact here?

I have personally dealt only with The Audio Video People in India. They have an authorised Genelec showroom in Bangalore. I believe they arrange delivery across India. You can ask for Mr Farooq. My experience with them has been very good.

Wow nice to know this.

I am also going to be in the Genelec club soon. White ones with glm.

Or Neumann.

Currently enjoying my Kali LP8 with Sabaj D5 dac/preamp. (Been itching to network my rooms with actives. So an 'upgrade' for my living room is constant upgraditis itch :D )

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back