General question out of curiosity - Who discovered that SK12FRX can be used for Hifi ?

Naveenbnc

Hello All,

Im just curious to know who worked with Sk12Frx driver for the first time?
And how we came to know that it can be used for Hifi purpose?

Considering the fact that Ahuja makes loud speakers for public address systems, and our ears will pain if we stand anywhere near to them :oops::oops:
No body would even think of using one of its drivers for stereo or hifi. But someone did it !!!

Well...It may have its own limitations, but SK12FRX is a very good performer @ its throwaway price!!! :D

So im curious to know how we came to know about this driver ....
Any info on this please ....

Regards,
Naveen

Does it really produce hi fi sound ? And as i read in this forum it requires huge cabinet which will push cost to some 10k range or huge open baffele which require large space to operate . Will it compare with full range drivers which cost 3k or 5k in a bookshelf or a pencil design .

It doesn't perform very well for Rock, Heavy metal, and some latest fast beat tracks.
It struggles to show instrumental separation in fast beat songs.

But it does a brilliant job for its price in soft rock, slow instrumental kind of songs.
Some music generes sound very wide and airy. Vocals are definitely good.
It needs support at low end, but in general tweeter is not needed.
It is high sensitive & high dB compared to other FR drivers at a similar cost of Rs1450. (as far as i saw)
It can go pretty loud with less power.
A drawback being ..... a large enclosure as you said.

So pros & Cons are surely there...
However, considering the company reputation, and its field of presence, this driver is an odd man out.

(im praising it more than needed i guess.....:D:D... but its performance is not bad at all at that price)
Im curious to know if any other 8" to 12" drivers are available with better performance @ similar price .....

While I cant really answer as to who decided that the particular Ahuja driver can be used for HiFi, but I can tell you that good pro audio drivers are much superior to HiFi drivers. Its a myth that pro audio drivers can be used in home listening situations. The pro drivers are made with performance in mind, in home listening situation, they just loaf around.

There are many good speakers that use pro audio drivers
http://www.audiokinesis.com/dream-maker-lcs.html
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-...-size/all-home-audio-kits/maximus-12-kit.html
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/htm-12-kit.html
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/volt-8-v2.html
http://www.pispeakers.com/Products.html

The particular Ahuja driver needs a big cabinet due to its parameters, pick a driver suitable for smaller cabinets and one doesnt need to use such a big cabinet. A higher BL and heavier cone are things to look for apart from the usual VAS/Fs

Every time I ask something ... I learn many other things in this forum :D:D
Thanks a lot for sharing those links !!!!

I am done with Ahuja business. I will not do anything with that driver in future.
My room can not accommodate any more huge boxes :D

If I can, I will focus on building small enclosures, or slim and tall enclosures.
If possible, in-wall kind of speakers for my personal use. But no more big boxes unless I can throw away my existing ones.

Although we may not notice quite often, pro audio often serves as the point of inspiration for home audio. There are so many the world over, who try to replicate Altec speakers systems, used in Cinemas and Concerts, etc for home use. When most of us Indians related to PA systems, we've usually got memories of the "nukkad" festival PA installation with speakers all over the place, blasting highly distorted poor quality music. If these PA systems are driven by proper sources like a decent cd player (playing decent cds), using the right loudspeaker combinations, and with professional calibration, they can actually sound very nice. The specs of a speaker are what matter, not its intended use and hence Ahuja speakers are really a fit. I've worked quite a bit on PA installations using Ahuja speakers (in stock Ahuja cabs) and they can be made to sound very nice.

Huge sound stage and tonality can be made out of pro drivers. I still dont think pro drivers match the speed that a real hifi driver provides. Anyways, if cabin is not well designed even those hifi driver's speed capability cannot be utilized which makes pro a easy thing to work with.

If I can, I will focus on building small enclosures, or slim and tall enclosures.
Slim and tall. Thats a line array.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/242171-towers-25-driver-range-line-array.html
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/284371-corner-floor-ceiling-line-array-using-vifa-tc9.html
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/325085-fr10hm-corner-ceiling-floor-array.html

No harmful effects of floor and ceiling reflection. High sensitivity, low distortion. Huge power handling. Similar SPL across the room unlike point source speakers. If placed in corner, front wall reflection too is avoided.

Constant directivity in case of OB. Build can be made very simple, if one goes for OB.

Last edited:
Slim and tall. Thats a line array.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/242171-towers-25-driver-range-line-array.html
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/284371-corner-floor-ceiling-line-array-using-vifa-tc9.html
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/325085-fr10hm-corner-ceiling-floor-array.html

No harmful effects of floor and ceiling reflection. High sensitivity, low distortion. Huge power handling. Similar SPL across the room unlike point source speakers. If placed in corner, front wall reflection too is avoided.

Constant directivity in case of OB. Build can be made very simple, if one goes for OB.

It is secondary whether I succeed or fail .... whether I build good sounding speakers or crap ones ....
but im so glad that I took a step into DIY :D:D:D
possibilities seem to be endless !!!! Thanks a lot for sharing the links ....
I saw a few line array stuff earlier .... but these links will surely help too .... thank you ... :)
For me.... my room size and floor area are the main constraints. o_O

Thanks Hari, Spirovious and of course Naveenbnc.
But it was not me, I learned it from Dr. Jaudere. Who by name is Vikram, he used to live in Goa. As far as this forum is concerned, he is the first man (IMO) who brought out this driver. And indeed, this driver is a very good one.
I learned its value more when I compared UAE prices of Eminence and Ahuja drivers and to my wonder they were quite close.
Like many of us, I had the same inferiority attitude towards anything "Made in India".
From that moment on, I had decided to make my speakers truly made in India. I still do that.

Vikram made a very clever OB design, I did a plain one as mentioned in Spirovious's above mentioned link.
Like Naveen, I too get more than I ask for in this forum.

Hari, please remove "h" from my name :).

Thanks Hari, Spirovious and of course Naveenbnc.
But it was not me, I learned it from Dr. Jaudere. Who by name is Vikram, he used to live in Goa. As far as this forum is concerned, he is the first man (IMO) who brought out this driver. And indeed, this driver is a very good one.
I learned its value more when I compared UAE prices of Eminence and Ahuja drivers and to my wonder they were quite close.
Like many of us, I had the same inferiority attitude towards anything "Made in India".
From that moment on, I had decided to make my speakers truly made in India. I still do that.

Vikram made a very clever OB design, I did a plain one as mentioned in Spirovious's above mentioned link.
Like Naveen, I too get more than I ask for in this forum.

Hari, please remove "h" from my name :).
oooh....finally i got the answer :D:D
And its very interesting too.... Thanks a lot Sumanta for sharing this.
And not to mention....your works are an inspiration...and your blogs etc are a treasure to learn !!!! :)

thanks a lot for sharing this thread !!! :D

oooh....finally i got the answer :D:D
And its very interesting too.... Thanks a lot Sumanta for sharing this.
And not to mention....your works are an inspiration...and your blogs etc are a treasure to learn !!!! :)
Ooh, that's an honour Naveen. I am happy to be of any help.
At one point of time, I stopped suggesting OB to DIY enthusiasts here as I was pressed with so many opinions against it. Surprisingly most of them were coming out from zero experience to OB sound.
I put myself to my zone and kept enjoying OB.
Nowadays, I see lot of FMs thinking about and/or making OBs. It's a great thing, really.

I have to agree with Naveenbnc on the HF performance of this driver, it clearly lacks the dynamics of small drivers which is typical for large dia drivers. With regards to LF, the bass is mainly depends on your OB design and placement, I am using JE labs design and I do get heart thumping bass from these. The bass is very different from what I get from the TL Sub, very tight and musical but may not be enough for movies where the LF goes below 30s.

I have incorporated another famous DIY FR, 8" Boston HiQ to this OB for tackling the HF issue which is crossed at 6khz (first order). Now I enjoy the sweet mids from FRX and the HF finesse from the HiQ. A silk dome tweeter with matching sensitivity might give a better performance which I am going to try next after the Jean Hiraga amp build.

hey Lionx,

as far as i observed, it does a fantastic job for most of the regular music.
It handles most of the latest telugu, tamil, and hindi songs well, unless they are very fast beat with too many instruments.
The moment I play anything like Linkin park, Aerosmith, Greenday etc etc.... some degree of clarity is missing in HF.

Just for a try, Im going to club it with a compression driver HF100 from Faitalpro.
I may try Phase plug experiment also later on.

by the way ... Can you give few more details on JE labs design please .....

I did not do any simulation for SK12FRX, but I did a sealed box simulation for DX12F200.
(As per the company specs, freq response graphs for both drivers are almost similar)

From the below table, we can see the freq at -12dB and -3dB for different volumes of the box.
Red, Yello, and Green graphs represent different box Volumes.
Finally I made the box around 110L volume. I made the bigger box only to get as much low end extension as possible.
At that time i never thought of using a FR+Bass driver. I should have made a small box, and add a Bass driver.

OB with FR+Bass driver will be much more simpler any way... :D:D
Presently, im using a separate sub any way, and when i switch it on, the overall sound signature become more plesent and warm.
But this sub is driven by my avr with 80Hz crossover.
As you said, Integrating the bass driver into the speaker itself would sound much better im guessing.

Slide1.JPG

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back