Getting a Berning amp

Thats one cool amp Prem! OTL is an ear opening experience and you are getting one from a maestro designer. Would love to hear your thoughts asap :).

Mpw, if only my puny 10 watt Berning can drive your Merlins:)

Hi Dr Bass, the main reason I bought Berning is it plays cool unlike other OTL amps which become heaters:)

prem has maintained a studied silence on the burning offer of mine :sad:

Maybe silence is golden afterall :lol:

Silence is golden and required in prem's place due to kid's exams.
But music is welcome at your place :p

Prem, a 10 watt otl will not heat up the room anyway. Even a conventional otl with that much output power will be well within the acceptable limits.

DrBass, I have hardly seen any conventional 10 watt OTL. Most of them seem to be 30 watts and upwards

Now that's something to look forward to.
Will be great to hear your impressions of the amp.

Regards.

The Berning amp has come home. Will connect tomorrow.

mpw, the amp has an etched signature of David Berning. Thanks for the suggestion

Hi Prem
Congrats on the new amp

Atleast we deserve to see some pics of the bad boy.
Please oblige
:)

Thanks Nikhil. Thanks Rikhav. Pictures tomorrow. Rikhav, there are some pictures already put up on this thread. Those are pictures of my amp

so you slept very late last night ? :)

you are welcome prem - i missed bobbys autograph on the Merlins and i did not want you to miss on on this chance.

An autographed hardware has its own charm and value.

enjoi !!

regards

Take the SET sound. Add more highs, more bass, more transparency, more immediacy. That's broadly what it is, Dr Bass. Speed and timing are pretty much the same.

My system is in my living room. The system sounds amazing even in my bedroom which is some 35 to 40 feet away. This was not the case with any of my previous amps. This is the first thing that struck me when I switched it on.

@Dr Bass, the previous amp was a bit more romantic, wee bit more sweeter whereas this is more direct, more visceral. The modded Lyrita was more forgiving. Berning is a lot more ruthless. There is no escape for bad recordings, no room to hide

Last edited by a moderator:
Prem,

Congratulations once again on the new amp!
For it to sound like you say straight out of the box is saying something.

Come to think of it, what does David Berning say about burn in time?

Regards

Nikhil, he had run it for sometime to make sure everything was fine before shipping.

Hi Prem
Glad to know the amp is doing well in your setup. In fact, there was little doubt it would not with your solid research.

I guess now is the time for you to try digital once again. Good PC transport with a dac of your liking

Hi Rikhav

Thanks. I might look at a basic cdp as of now to serve as a stop gap arrangement till I get into computer audio

There are two small lights on the front panel. When you switch it on it is red. In about 45 to 60 secs it turns half green and half orange. This means both power and bias is stable. Based on what colour it takes, Berning can advise you what's wrong with the amp. Whether it's a tube issue or a power issue.

BTW the colour keeps changing a bit as it is constantly readjusting based on the music signal it receives. The two lights are one for each channel

Prem, did you adjust the crossovers and the bass level after the amp change??Also if you can pm me the price that will be helpful.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back