gijogeo

Gijo George

Hi there
Need some suggestions on my system upgrade. I currently use aYamaha RX-V661 Recvr with Mordaunt Short Avant 5.1 system. (908i F, 903iSR, 905iC & 309iSW). To get a better sound quality I thought bout going for the Marantz AV7005/MM7055 pre/power combo. But this is quite an investment option. Since I already have a receiver I thought about using the Crown XLs 202 power amp using the above as the pre. Any opinions?

By the by , welcome to hfv buddy , u didn't mentioned ur budget ,if it is some 1000 bucks what ever it may be ,u will get a good system ,but u will get more confused , get ready to get confused and resolved ur self by the options given in our forum ,sure u will get a satisfied receiver...
Cheers...

This is the wrong section if its an intro thread, as the title may suggest!
Gijo, are you trying to improve sound quality for movies or music?
i presume its for the former. I have heard a Crown power amp in a stereo set up and found it too loud and metallic. AFAIK, Crown is into a PA stuff. Correct me if I am wrong.
Are you looking at a power amp for just the fronts? If not, look at the emotiva option. They have an affordable 5 channel power amp.

This is the wrong section if its an intro thread, as the title may suggest!
Gijo, are you trying to improve sound quality for movies or music?
i presume its for the former. I have heard a Crown power amp in a stereo set up and found it too loud and metallic. AFAIK, Crown is into a PA stuff. Correct me if I am wrong.
Are you looking at a power amp for just the fronts? If not, look at the emotiva option. They have an affordable 5 channel power amp.
Thanks iaudio. Since its my first post got kinda confused with the title thing.
The amp upgrade is for both movies and music. I was thinking of getting two XLs 202's, since I didnt come across any good 3 channel amp. (One for the fronts and using one channel from the second for the centre speaker) And yeah after talks with a few people I am begining to think its not such a good idea for my use. But before i go into anything else I'd love to hear from an Emotiva. I've been reading rave reviews on the net bout this amp but as far as i know its sold only inline in the US and neighbouring territories. Anyidea where i can source them in India?

By the by , welcome to hfv buddy , u didn't mentioned ur budget ,if it is some 1000 bucks what ever it may be ,u will get a good system ,but u will get more confused , get ready to get confused and resolved ur self by the options given in our forum ,sure u will get a satisfied receiver...
Cheers...
Thanks canndu. My budget is 1L but I'll be more than happy if I get something really good cheaper by some stroke of luck or if I come across something in HFV. I talked to the local dealer for hifi stuff HIFI link and another in chennai and they are of the opinion that going for a seperate processor and amp make a big difference than going for a power amp using my current receiver as the pre.

George , Using a Processor and Power amplifier will have better effect then the Receiver. Ask our forum member Subash and Santhol both from Bangalore , who have moved from receiver to separates. They have very good opinion about pre/processor and power combination. Search in the HT thread and you can see their reviews and opinions about separates

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back