Go to favourite Scenes on Netflix/Prime to test the Subwoofer

ankitbhargava

Many members here including myself would be consuming a lot of content from Netflix and Prime Video and ONLY occasionally from a Blu-ray disk or downloaded high quality content. We have spent quite a lot of time, efforts and money to put together our HT system. This is the reason why, I personally aim at improving the setup which could perform well with streaming content from Netflix, Prime or any other streaming service and do not wait for the day when I will have everything perfect in my chain to have best of cinematic audio and video experience.

Like me, there should be many members who do not have opportunity to have access to demo rooms and compare how well a system could sound and specially in reference to same content. For example if a gunshot or explosion which I hear in my system in a movie, how does my system scores on a scale of 1-10. Technically there are so many parameters and ways to find it out but going by the ears purely, its very difficult to judge our own system and find out what should really be expected.

The Subwoofer/s and the bass is heart of the sound for me and am sure for many of us :) I wanted to start this thread to create some sort of reference points and benchmarks to help judging your system with reference to the bass and LFE specially.

It would be very helpful to learn the favourite "go to scenes" from the members here which they use often to judge their system's performance (from Netflix, Prime or any other movie streaming services). Some details would even be better to help other members to play the same scene and figure out the difference between what they are listening to and what others are listening and liking.

Bass is very subjective to own taste BUT we all endeavour to setup our system to sound natural and close to how it is supposed to sound.

I will start with my own favourite scenes

1. Scene from the movie "Arrival" on Netflix around 15.10 timestamp where they are in a Helicopter and talking. The sound of whirling wings of helicopter produces a very deep and detailed bass. When my system is set correctly , I hear the sound of rotating wings very clearly and it does feel in body as well. If the system is not set correctly (phase/delay issues, some nulls etc) all I hear is loud bass (even more felt in body) BUT it doesn't sound like rotating/whirling sound. Its a 30 seconds long scene which gives you enough opportunity to listen carefully and adjust settings to clean up details and achieve a deep bass which does feel in body if your sub/s are producing sufficient energy. I also noticed that while I try same scene on Firestick as against my Xbox One S, I lose a lot of impact. I really love this scene to even try out HT system at my friend's place.

2. Scene from the movie "Padmavat" on Prime at 2.22.35 where they meet in battle ground, both on horses approaching each other. When they both get down from the horse, if my system is set correctly I hear a very detailed thump as they both jump from horse, I even feel the bass a little in body. If while tinkering the system I mess up something, all I hear is a loud thump, very less details and nothing felt physically.

A long list of best of bass, LFE scenes and tactile response is available on internet but it hardly helps to understand what to expect

Looking forward to your favourites, it would be really nice to add some information along with scene to explain what exactly you like in it when you know the settings are right and what do you miss when you mess up :)

Last edited:
Jumanji- The next level, when the flock of Ostriches come running from far in the desert towards them. You can feel the vibrations in the entire room. The loud "Thud" when anyone of them falls from the sky.

Spiderman - Far from Home- The Bell shot & when the water floods in.

Godzilla: King of Monster:- Whole climax is full of bass and you can use it for sub crawl test or testing your sub as a whole.
Spectre: Helicopter action scene first part of the movie, it's great to check the atmos effect in your setup. If you don't get atmos effect in this scene.

Jumanji- The next level, when the flock of Ostriches come running from far in the desert towards them. You can feel the vibrations in the entire room. The loud "Thud" when anyone of them falls from the sky.

Spiderman - Far from Home- The Bell shot & when the water floods in.
Jumanji, 00.33.41 .. it fills whole room with footsteps sound bass :)

Spiderman, could you please mention timestamp?

Godzilla: King of Monster:- Whole climax is full of bass and you can use it for sub crawl test or testing your sub as a whole.
Spectre: Helicopter action scene first part of the movie, it's great to check the atmos effect in your setup. If you don't get atmos effect in this scene.
Godzilla, very interesting suggestion.. whole Movie engages sub one way or other. Any specific scene which is super impressive?
00.26.50-58 shook my floor

Couldn't find spectre on Netflix and Prime

Godzilla, very interesting suggestion.. whole Movie engages sub one way or other. Any specific scene which is super impressive?
00.26.50-58 shook my floor

Couldn't find spectre on Netflix and Prime
I don't have timestamps but the last 5-10 minutes where Godzilla fights with 3 head dragon keep your sub busy whole time.

I meant this scene from spectre. Although youtube won't have atmos audio but play it and you will get a good idea of what it will feel with atmos audio.

Many members here including myself would be consuming a lot of content from Netflix and Prime Video and ONLY occasionally from a Blu-ray disk or downloaded high quality content. We have spent quite a lot of time, efforts and money to put together our HT system. This is the reason why, I personally aim at improving the setup which could perform well with streaming content from Netflix, Prime or any other streaming service and do not wait for the day when I will have everything perfect in my chain to have best of cinematic audio and video experience.

Like me, there should be many members who do not have opportunity to have access to demo rooms and compare how well a system could sound and specially in reference to same content. For example if a gunshot or explosion which I hear in my system in a movie, how does my system scores on a scale of 1-10. Technically there are so many parameters and ways to find it out but going by the ears purely, its very difficult to judge our own system and find out what should really be expected.

The Subwoofer/s and the bass is heart of the sound for me and am sure for many of us :) I wanted to start this thread to create some sort of reference points and benchmarks to help judging your system with reference to the bass and LFE specially.

It would be very helpful to learn the favourite "go to scenes" from the members here which they use often to judge their system's performance (from Netflix, Prime or any other movie streaming services). Some details would even be better to help other members to play the same scene and figure out the difference between what they are listening to and what others are listening and liking.

Bass is very subjective to own taste BUT we all endeavour to setup our system to sound natural and close to how it is supposed to sound.

I will start with my own favourite scenes

1. Scene from the movie "Arrival" on Netflix around 15.10 timestamp where they are in a Helicopter and talking. The sound of whirling wings of helicopter produces a very deep and detailed bass. When my system is set correctly , I hear the sound of rotating wings very clearly and it does feel in body as well. If the system is not set correctly (phase/delay issues, some nulls etc) all I hear is loud bass (even more felt in body) BUT it doesn't sound like rotating/whirling sound. Its a 30 seconds long scene which gives you enough opportunity to listen carefully and adjust settings to clean up details and achieve a deep bass which does feel in body if your sub/s are producing sufficient energy. I also noticed that while I try same scene on Firestick as against my Xbox One S, I lose a lot of impact. I really love this scene to even try out HT system at my friend's place.

2. Scene from the movie "Padmavat" on Prime at 2.22.35 where they meet in battle ground, both on horses approaching each other. When they both get down from the horse, if my system is set correctly I hear a very detailed thump as they both jump from horse, I even feel the bass a little in body. If while tinkering the system I mess up something, all I hear is a loud thump, very less details and nothing felt physically.

A long list of best of bass, LFE scenes and tactile response is available on internet but it hardly helps to understand what to expect

Looking forward to your favourites, it would be really nice to add some information along with scene to explain what exactly you like in it when you know the settings are right and what do you miss when you mess up :)
You are doing noble work man. Kudos to your efforts. I cant even think of affording a blu ray disk.. for just one time watching buying a disk just doesnt cut it !
I want streaming to get better and better!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back