Go to favourite Scenes on Netflix/Prime to test the Subwoofer

The first 5-6 mins of Baby Driver is good both visually and sound wise :) the Bellbottoms song covers a wide frequency range and the chase scene adds some low end notes to fill the room with action.. overall a good scene to checkout on your HT

I see you have a minidsp 2*4 HD. Have you tried BEQ?

Hi Raghu! Will BEQ benefit for the people who have subs that goes upto only a range of 25hz to 30hz down. or atleast 20 hz down.
I think it will offer very good benefits for those who have very very potential subs like yourself .
But I'm curious to try .Only thing my subs can go only upto 18 hz as per spec.

Opening scene of Overlord is a torture test for HDR as well.

Overlord is a fantastic movie for audio and overall. The gun sounds hit you in the chest, notably when he ( the team lead, i forgot his name ) fires his Thompson. Amazing.

I'm not a streaming guy.But still you can Try Accountant movie scene sniper shot around 16mins..( don't remember exactly ) also the climax sniper shots..It's phenomenol. This movie has One of the impressive gun shots sound ,HT enthusiastic love to hear.
Don't look out whether your walls have cracked or not.

AlsoTry Book of Eli movie 1:55 mins gun shot scenes
The sound track is impressive ,u can feel.the bullets flying all.around the room ( in a larger free air space with Echoes ...which is just like desert as shown as in that particular movie scene).
Also the climax fight scenes.

Might be noob questions :

From where are you streaming Netflix - TV \ media streamer like Firestick ?

How are you transferring the sound from TV \ streamer to your AV receiver ? Digital coaxial ?
My source is Xbox One S (the best out of Nvidia, Firestick 4K, Apple TV 4K) to stream Netflix.
Xbox One S > HDMI (bitstream passthrough) > AVR

I see you have a minidsp 2*4 HD. Have you tried BEQ?

Have been reading about it but couldn't read enough to try it :)
I envy all those BEQ stats posted on the other forum in tactile response threads ... haha
Now when you have touched upon it, I will read it through today

There is one definite test for subwoofer performance. I am not sure if " Master and Commander" is available on Netflix. If it's not, buy it on BR. You'll know if you have a good setup.
Thanks, Any specific scenes to expect any specific sort of response?

Maybe its my system, but in any of the streaming service - Netflix/Prime/... I didnt get any chest thumping bass unlike in the BD or content in HDD.
Not sure if the Atmos content is better, as all the streaming services seem to compress the sound significantly.
Atmos content is much better! Sometimes its as good as a downloaded BR rip of lossless quality .. though not specifically on LFE parameter

svs generally shows its strength in low end rumble rather than tight and punchy bass. (with my little personal experience at a friends place)
However, better not to change the sub before making sure we have done everything possible in terms of placement and calibration.
Many youtube videos available for this, and Minidsp can do wonders too !!!
I have same impression so far!
Give SVS those feathering low end bass, those really deep sweeps, rumbles ... it shines
When you expect a punch, it feel soft :)

I'm not a streaming guy.But still you can Try Accountant movie scene sniper shot around 16mins..( don't remember exactly ) also the climax sniper shots..It's phenomenol. This movie has One of the impressive gun shots sound ,HT enthusiastic love to hear.
Don't look out whether your walls have cracked or not.
haha, my go to scene on Prime! the last 2 gunshots out of 3 ... its a bass thrust, punch and really makes you get off the seat :)) . I checked it on RTA .. the db levels on low frequencies hit 105 db

Entire 1st 15mins of "6 Underground" on Netflix will give good workout of sub at all frequencies..
Also the last half hr gunshots on the ship.
This was a great suggestion, at 00.06.20 when the car is about to hit the lady with baby in arms.. those heartbeats with growing weight actually let you decide how much you need to pump up or mellow down the subs. The last beat actually is felt in the body (streaming on Netflix)

Will BEQ benefit for the people who have subs that goes upto only a range of 25hz to 30hz down. or atleast 20 hz down.

Not really, Rajith. BEQ will create filters based on where it figures bass has been castrated for that particular title. I expect pretty much anyone with a sub will feel/hear a difference with the BEQ filters in place, when assessed across multiple titles. Of course, the more capable one's sub, the more advantage that will accrue from using this.

My source is Xbox One S (the best out of Nvidia, Firestick 4K, Apple TV 4K) to stream Netflix.
Xbox One S > HDMI (bitstream passthrough) > AVR
Thanks Ankit. I too stream Netflix from my PS4 but thinking of using the app from my new TV , hence my original question.
What’s bitstream passthrough ?
Edit: What I mean is - is there any such specific HDMI option in your Xbox?

Last edited:
My source is Xbox One S (the best out of Nvidia, Firestick 4K, Apple TV 4K) to stream Netflix. Xbox One S > HDMI (bitstream passthrough) > AVR
Why is Xbox 1S the best to stream NF? Does the NF app on Xbox have any special arrangement with NF to stream better audio? Is it upscaling/restoring the audio before passing-thru? Other boxes/TV apps can as well passthrough in PCM mode if required.

Why is Xbox 1S the best to stream NF? Does the NF app on Xbox have any special arrangement with NF to stream better audio? Is it upscaling/restoring the audio before passing-thru? Other boxes/TV apps can as well passthrough in PCM mode if required.
Xbox is one of the officially certified sources for 4k and atmos. Lg oled tvs are another. Not sure if that makes them better.

Thanks Ankit. I too stream Netflix from my PS4 but thinking of using the app from my new TV , hence my original question.
What’s bitstream passthrough ?
Edit: What I mean is - is there any such specific HDMI option in your Xbox?
Yes when you check audio settings, you can select bitstream passthrough over HDMI. Infact if tou have Dolby app, you can select the Dolby passthrough also. I will take a picture of settings and share.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back