Good Tablet around 7K ?

Wanted to conclude this thread.
As have got a new nexus 7 couple weeks back. Now it is available for around 9K new on flipkart.
Great buy I would say.

Thanks for all the inputs..
Regards!

Last edited:
Congrats Rohit
Can anyone tell if it can be used to output USB audio (and connect to a USB DAC).

I have read that it needs to be rooted in order to use the USB functionality. Some folks have used this to connect to external storage or use it for any other I/O. Currently I/O seems to be blocked on this port and used exclusively for charging purpose. So the device needs to be rooted to enable I/O.

I am not sure if the WiFi capability could be used to achieve the same using some kind of a WiFi receiver connected to the DAC at the other end.

Since the device is pretty new did not want to fiddle with it a lot so have'nt tried yet ;)

Wanted to conclude this thread.
As have got a new nexus 7 couple weeks back. Now it is available for around 9K new on flipkart.
Great buy I would say.

Thanks for all the inputs..
Regards!

congrats rohitmusic. So what's your couple of week's experience? How does your family feel (is it easy for them to use)? Using rhymes etc?

congrats rohitmusic. So what's your couple of week's experience? How does your family feel (is it easy for them to use)? Using rhymes etc?

Thanks, first things first the Nexus 7 is a hit worldwide and speaks for itself so the buying decision was very easy! And the experience proves and talks for its quality.

We are pretty happy with the device.

Here are the observations:
1. I was first little doubtful of going the 7 inch way. I was thinking 7 inch would be little small screen size and was looking for bigger size 10 inche. The 7 inches make it really handy to hold in one hand and it has made it really portable especially for home use.

2. Family loves it. The tablet are a different breed of device and are made for usability in mind. It is very convenient to use and make life easier. I never need to start up my laptop (I must confess I have'nt turned on my laptop since I got the tab. Its boot time is around couple seconds and we are on! Sweet and clean!) Most of the members are hooked to games like "dots" :D which provides an excellent experience. The touch screen is very responsive. Just yesterday I happened to be in a shop and just swapped some touch screens of other brands (Indian) and the touch experience was rather laggy and not as smooth.

It is also excellent playing nursery rhymes - "the 5 little monkeys" rhyme is a hit in our house :D overall youtube playback is a breeze and I am really happy with the screen resolution. It is crystal clear, it really shows when you keep zooming into photos there are virtually no pixels visible!

Since the speaker is on the back side so volume may not be as loud as possible but it is sufficient for near field listening.

I found it ideal of any home usage.

I would say at 9K it is a steal and I would whole heartedly recommend it to you and you will not be disappointed with the performance or usability.

It is never lying idle as all family members keep grabbing it as it is so inviting and easy to use with apps that range for use of all family members.

You can save couple thousand by getting an local brand but believe me the experience of the Nexus 7 is much much better and well worth the money you will pay. It is great VFM.

I am happy to have made the decision to go for this device as the value add is very good it can be used by all family members depending on their usage patterns.

i too baught at 10k from flipkart now it is @9000
worth to buy . one can attach usb storage through nexus media importer
even it can manage 1 tb hdd so 16 gb is sufficient

cheers

uttam

Why don't you wait for the new (2013) version of the Nexus 7 to launch in India? It's got amazing reviews, with the main upgrade being the much better (Full HD) screen, and stereo speakers.

Of course, the 2012 version will be cheaper, now that the newer version is soon to come out. But you can compare the two, and then decide which to purchase.

Why don't you wait for the new (2013) version of the Nexus 7 to launch in India? It's got amazing reviews, with the main upgrade being the much better (Full HD) screen, and stereo speakers.

Of course, the 2012 version will be cheaper, now that the newer version is soon to come out. But you can compare the two, and then decide which to purchase.

Yes 2013 version will sure be better than the 2012. But people who buy probably see the price which would be much less than the 2013 model.
Some one who is looking for base version (without call facility), i suppose nexus 7 is number one VFM in that range/configuration.

i too baught at 10k from flipkart now it is @9000
worth to buy . one can attach usb storage through nexus media importer
even it can manage 1 tb hdd so 16 gb is sufficient

cheers

uttam

That's good to know about the media importer. Are you able to read through this 1tb hdd without any lag? How does the video play? Can you provide some insight? What about pen drives with 16/32gb (if it supports 1 tb hdd!!) - asking about the video playback.

Ok. Now that you guys have got the tab, did you get the case cover for it? Do let us know a good case cover that protects and does its job well.
Also to clarify: Does getting a keyboard (which comes along with some tab case cover's) to work with the tab, enhances the battery time usage of the tab?

Last edited:
There are several reasons why I bought this instead of the new model.
Primary being the price. Going by the past record I think new model will launch @ 16k . Old model can be bought for 7650 after cashback. I think this is stock clearance sale and after the release of new model old one would not be available simultaneously.
My primary usage will be for web surfing and after that as an xbmc and squeezebox wifi remote. So old model should do the job nicely and it will free my mobile phone as well.

Excellent choice mate... congrats. Welcome to nexus 7 family. Looking at the price now, I am biting my nails. I bought this 16gb last year @16K :sad:
Anyway.. its always better to have a google device. Hope you are done with successful rooting. This is the best wifi remote we've got (IMO only). :licklips:

I am tempted to get one for myself.
I was always wondering why I have to power up my 'monster' HTPC for just surfing. My Iphone is too small and straining to the eyes.

@ Neeraj/ others
What is the lowest purchase price possible and where?
Is Flipkart the cheapest? The cashback is on SC cards only...

EDIT 1:
Some questions
1. So will bit-torrent work on this? Can I keep the tab on charging and allow to download overnight? Any harm in it?
2. I learn that to connect external storage, rooting is necessary. Will it be possible to roll back the rooting if needed without leaving a trace (for warranty purpose) ?

EDIT 2:
I just placed an order on Flipkart.

Last edited:
Recently I have noticed that Flipkart has become very competitive and all my recent purchases has been from Flipkart. Flipkart has not disappointed me once. i would say that I am having a dream run with Flipkart and wonder how long it will last.If Flipkart keeps this up its going to be another Amazon and the real Amazon will have to pull some tricks to beat Flipkart.

I too think the same. Very much satisfied with their service so far. I am slowly forgetting that brick & mortar stores do exist selling such stuff.

I don't think there will be any harm in overnight downloading. Come to think of it, its a brilliant idea as a quick search shows that Nexus 7 uses a 10w adapter so max elec consumption should be only 10w.

Exactly, though it does not take up that much power but I feel so uncomfortable keeping my HTPC with 600W power supply running all night.

I think for downloading purpose a Tab is not the right/correct device. The reason being that you will be keeping the Tab on all over night for downloading and hence the power should be always connected to the Tab. The in-built battery may not be able to take this load of continuous charge. Also a mobile/Tab battery should be normally charged fully (100%) and there should be again discharged (99%) and this cycle should go on. I am not an expect in this but I read somewhere that all modern day mobile/Tab batteries have built-in charge cycles and once it reaches the limit the battery is automatically died down. I would say energy efficient downloading will be a fanless mini/barebones PC which does not utilize more than 25-35W or a small NAS box.

Thanks

I don't think your HTPC wil be using 600w all the time. at idel it may be using 80w.
My amd e-350 based htpc uses 25w at idle.
Those people who do not want to keep their pc running just for downloading torrents can use Nexus 7. However you will have to look out for proper app which is equivalent to utorrent on pc.

Actually it never does even when my Raedon 7850 is at peak load. I have kept lot of headroom in the PS. But I still feel I am wasting energy.

One problem with Nexus is it has only one USB port.

So you cannot connect external HDD and charge at the same time (so basically the downloads have to be on local or we must allow it to run on battery till it lasts)

Also, we cannot play music from external HDD if we configure USB port for audio streaming.

I hope I am right.

I think for downloading purpose a Tab is not the right/correct device. The reason being that you will be keeping the Tab on all over night for downloading and hence the power should be always connected to the Tab. The in-built battery may not be able to take this load of continuous charge. Also a mobile/Tab battery should be normally charged fully (100%) and there should be again discharged (99%) and this cycle should go on. I am not an expect in this but I read somewhere that all modern day mobile/Tab batteries have built-in charge cycles and once it reaches the limit the battery is automatically died down. I would say energy efficient downloading will be a fanless mini/barebones PC which does not utilize more than 25-35W or a small NAS box.

Thanks

That is known as exercising the battery (allowing battery to drain before recharging) and I believe it is needed only for the first few days or weeks.

The battery won't be continuously charging - since it is burning less power (when display is off and no processor intensive app is running) than the capacity of charging.

Fresh charging does not start when battery drops from 100% to 99%. but it does only when it falls below a certain limit. None of the gadgets I put on charge overnight feel warm the next morning, which says its not 'continuously' charging.

Also I think the battery life depends on the no. of discharge cycles not recharge cycles.

These online sales are getting ruinous although the prices are nice. I've racked up quite a deadly looking credit card bill :sad: and the latest purchase has me joining the Nexus 7 buying crowd too. Intention is to use it for some light websurfing and as a DLNA controller for playout to TV, BDP etc. Let's see if that works.

Which cover was chosen by Nexus 7 buyers? I am planning to order Nexus 7 and thought of including a case along with the tablet purchase. Any quick suggestion will help.

Thanks in advance.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back