Good Tablet around 7K ?

Confusion is between - Windows-vs-Android-vs-iOS.......

My vote would be for Android.

Why not windows? - It hangs and its slow (not at the first time but after few months of usage) - BTW... I use Windows in my laptop and desktop. My previous statement holds true for tabs only.

Why not iOS? - Its propitiatory (i mean not open source) and costly.

Why Android? - Well... its from the house of GOOGLE... :clapping:

Hello Friends,

wanted to check if you got any views on Amazon Kindle Fire HD Tablet and Asus Fonepad Tablet

Following are the product links:
Kindle Fire HD - Stunning 7" Tablet
Asus Fonepad Tablet Price in India - Buy Asus Fonepad Tablet 8 GB Online - Asus: Flipkart.com

I have this and it works pretty well. However I have found that I use it lesser by the day. 7 inches don't really cut in for me. Its neither good for web browsing or reading books (Buy a Kindle PW for this).

My advice - buy the 8.9 inches Tab. Expensive but makes a lot of sense.

@Santy
got my Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB delivered today. just opened the box to check the contents, but didn't remove the plastic-cover from the device nor booted it. will first go to a store tomorrow to get a screenguard installed.

@Santy
got my Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB delivered today. just opened the box to check the contents, but didn't remove the plastic-cover from the device nor booted it. will first go to a store tomorrow to get a screenguard installed.

Great... congrats!
I am sure you will not be disappointed.

My quick views about this tab:

Pros:
DIRT CHEAP! I mean 9k for a 7" quad-core android tab from google/ nexus
Very snappy
Great display and very responsive
Multi touch is great
Great for games.
OS got updated to kitkat automatically in 7 min
Tough glass resistant to mild scratches

Cons:
No main camera
No external memory
Battery life not great
Weak speaker
Slow to come out of lock screen

Great... congrats!
I am sure you will not be disappointed.

My quick views about this tab:

Pros:
DIRT CHEAP! I mean 9k for a 7" quad-core android tab from google/ nexus
Very snappy
Great display and very responsive
Multi touch is great
Great for games.
OS got updated to kitkat automatically in 7 min
Tough glass resistant to mild scratches

Cons:
No main camera
No external memory
Battery life not great
Weak speaker
Slow to come out of lock screen

thanks! i sincerely hope i won't be.

if it helps any other member in 'tab-dilemma' - the main contender against this tab for me was Nook HD+, available from ebay for 12,890/- (after applying a 1000/- off discount-coupon), and for 10.9k (second-hand, though opened only to root) on another forum. had a very tough time selecting between the N7 and Nook HD+. but finally, decided in favour of the N7. many of you could deem my decision unwise, but after carefully sweeping through my basic-requirements, i selected the tab, and they are/were as follows:

- i needed portability in my tab. an 8.9"/9", though not so seemingly big upon being used regularly, would surely not be that portable, and i intend to use my tab on long commutes, outstation-trips, etc., too (snugged well inside my bag/luggage). moreover, a big tab would certainly attract attention of fellow commuters/general public, which i didn't/don't want. the Nook HD+ could undoubtedly well function as a very good secondary tab, atleast for me, dedicated to home-use, and to that specific purpose, i hope to get one some time later through any of the forums (this one single option much boosted my confidence to just go ahead and buy the N7 now, as i highly prefer our dear forums now for trades, as against online trade-portals). so, for now, my primary tab, wins! :)

- 'sacrificed' the desire of having a bigger and better display for a smaller one, because i would rarely watch HD videos on my tab, play absolutely no games, watch no HD movies, but on the contrary, had to buy a tab with some very specific objectives in my mind, and hence, investing in a big and shinier display seemed not so sensible to me, and i preferred to save some bucks instead of being 'lavish' and spending it on something which wouldn't have been put to justifiable use (i would only watch documentaries on the tab, the main reason i got one for, and that too, on some very particular subjects, of which, there are fewer than few HD videos available; and i harbour absolutely no desire to watch HD movies on the tab, as i highly prefer my TV over it!).

after this issue was settled by me, another one cropped up! namely, the 16GB N7 vs the 32GB one. how i sorted this one, was again, based on a matter of preference. without an iota of doubt, i believe that the 3k extra sum that one's required to pay for the latter version, is indeed a 'premium' price for it, but, having a cellphone that has 16GB of internal space, and which is constantly notifying me about space-shortage since past few days, i very much needed extra (internal) storage-space on my tab, and the idea of having a pen-drive dangling from its USB-port via an OTG-cable, didn't seem very appealing to me. one other thing that swayed me towards the 32GB one was, that, when i was pondering over this, i saw that the 32GB had one combo-offer of the N7 + 1 more year's extended warranty (and 42/- off on the combo), which wasn't available on the 16GB version. i quickly added the combo-offer to my wishlist. the offer was terminated from the next day onward, but thankfully, since i had saved it in my wishlist, i could avail it. thanks to flipkart for that too (i don't think i have ever seen any other e-portal providing such an option)! my extended warranty kit is yet to arrive. its in transit from delhi. the tab was delivered from flipkart's Bhiwandi sorting-facility.

anyway, what's done, is done. now the next steps to follow are:

1. check the tab's working condition thoroughly (didn't do it till now, as was out for the day on a trek, and my mind is now subdued and hence the excitement has been effectively contained :D ).

2. go to a local-vendor and get a matte screenguard applied to the screen skillfully. :eek:hyeah:

3. get this case from ebay.

hope to spend a nice and meaningful time with the tab. :)

P.S. - used one of my friends' SBI CC to avail 10% cashback on the total cost of the purchase. i hope it gets duly remitted in time.

Last edited:
checked the tab for BT & wifi-connectivity, browsing, earphones-jack, brightness, charging, all working fine. Android 4.3 was also downloaded.

i don't know should i continue to write here or not, but due to the lack of a thread dedicated to tabs or nexus 7 in particular, am doing so.

y'day received my screenguard. hadn't used the tab in all these days due to the absence of a screenguard, so after applying it y'day, used the tab for sometime. noticed some screen-brightness flickers intermittently. checked google. found that its a fairly common issue. XDA forums and some other wesbites tell the following possible reasons/conditions for it:

- a weak wifi signal, coupled with...
- ....brightness set on 'auto-brightness', on...
- ....white background, particularly of chrome,...
- ....with sometimes something downloading in the background.

(one user guessed that probably the wifi-chip is drawing power meant for the screen too, and this results in flicker when in 'auto-brightness' mode).

when i noticed it y'day, everyone of the above stood true for me. set the brightness to a random setting now, and haven't noticed the flickering so far. although wouldn't want to get into the hassles of replacements and all (read that a few people who got their nexus replaced, noticed the same flickering in the new tabs as well), but have anyway written to flipkart today.

Last edited:
Its looks Google Nexus 7 is a smart choice.I want to gift it to my Uncle with similar budget.
Is it better or equal to Samsung?Also how far its from Micromax?

Its looks Google Nexus 7 is a smart choice.I want to gift it to my Uncle with similar budget.
Is it better or equal to Samsung?Also how far its from Micromax?

The Nexus is very good model and VFM at its price range. I have booked one yesterday with 10% cash back on SBI cards. I requested my friend who has the SBI CC to book for me and the total price has come to 8090 on Flipkart.

Please refrain from purchasing a micromax tab, as you wish to gift it to someone else, and ceratinly wouldn't want him to suffer at the hands of their customer non-service!

one good tab is the 10" iball eduslide i1017, but then for the price it commands, you could also have the superior-display 8.9" Nook HD+.

and if you decide to buy nexus (which i think you should), and for the benefit of others here too, please thoroughly check your tabs after delivery for screen-flicker, wifi-signal reception, the audio-jack, presence of any dead-pixel(s), undue heating, charger and charging, etc. since flipkart's service is exemplary, make the most of it if you find any fault(s)!

Thanks for reply.For the price and performance,l will go for Google tab only.

One more thing,
How can we compare Nexus 7 to amazon kindle like below?
Kindle Fire HD - Stunning 7" Tablet
One of my cousin told that amazon Kindle is bit faster and better.
Can you let me know?

don't mention!

i think your cousin meant it the other way round! :D

the Kindle Fire HD, to say, has an 'inferior' processor than what the N7 has. moreover, the latter's processor features double the 'quality' cores (4 in the N7, 2 in the KFHD)! a quick glance at some reviews tells how thus the N7 is noticeably speedier than the KFHD.

the former is basically an ebook-reader in the garb of a tab, and through which Amazon primarily intends to sell its services to the end-user (books, streaming-content, etc.). it runs a forked version of an earlier version of Android. since the emphasis is more on battery back-up with it, one could observe some noticeable lag if both the tabs are pit against each other, side-by-side. the N7, on the other hand, is a more 'all-rounder' tab, fully open-source, gets Android updates first, and is ever-open to fiddling by the user. one could root the Kindle Fire HD as well, but then you would be left dependent on custom ROMs, with their bugs and fixes and all.

the KFHD has got a bit better display, despite both having the same screen-resolution and pixel-density (KFHD has a warmer PQ, which i personally prefer). plus, it has got a microHDMI port too! but i suppose this is all where it ends! functionality-wise, N7 surpasses it (one could also use a 3G-dongle via an OTG-cable with it, apart from using an HDD/a pen-drive for external storage; and, much more!)! moreover, the KFHD 7 would be very tough to source now, and whatever stocks are left, are priced high. at those prices, you could nearly get the Nook HD+ --> a bigger & a better tab!

if reading ebooks and watching HD videos is all what is wanted (and not using Google services like Gmail, etc., on the tab [which can't be used on the locked OS of the KFHD, or are a little tough to use, if am correct], which i highly doubt, unless, one probably wishes to and can root the tab, which i again doubt in your case that your uncle would be inclined to do or get it done from someone else), then get the KFHD. but if one seeks more, then yes, definitely, the N7!! :)

Last edited:
I received my Nexus 7 on Monday and the first impressions so far is just wow. For the price which I booked on Flipkart of 8090 after 10% cash back on SBI CC, its super VFM. Very nice display and long battery life.

I too received my Nexus 7 yesterday. Paid 8999 on flip kart.
Very nice device. Only issue is it does not have builtin dlna support in its media player. Had to download one from Google play.
This is strange as it is updated to 4.4 kitkat android OS.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back