Goodbye JBL 4343

The decade was swift I see. How come?

Wow Prem! Always interesting to follow your journey.
Axiom drivers are the holy grail for full range!

Good luck with the changes!

Just curious if you ever considered Cube Audio Nenuphars and if so, what is your opinion?

Just curious if you ever considered Cube Audio Nenuphars and if so, what is your opinion?
I have not heard them. I did consider them. But I didn’t get good reports. So dropped it. That driver is nowhere in the Axiom 80 league.

is the 80 a harder to find model vs 90 or 300?
Way way harder. Also the 80 is a completely different design from the other Goodman drivers. The 80 is also way way more expensive. Guys like Yamamura, Vladimir Lamm consider it the best driver ever designed.

shocker indeed...4343 were such a delight to see, and im sure to listen as well.

Axioms look very unique...it has neither surrounds nor spider, would it be hard to maintain....if those lowthers were transparent...this would be scary to experience...as always a leap forward for Prem.

speaking of lowthers, were they in your shortlists, espeically the newer ones look promising..also the voxativs?

The Lowthers or the Voxativ are not in Axiom 80 league according to people in the know. I have heard the Voxativ. I wasn’t impressed. I haven’t heard the Axiom 80. Only time will tell if all the hype around it is justified.

I am not as well versed with vintage as you guys. But a few people I know are purely into high end vintage. They have the best of the best. WE horns, Zeus’s Ikon, Bionor of which there are only 4-5 speakers in the world as of today, etc etc. They rate the Axiom 80 at the very top. I have no idea where Jensen Imperial is in that list. Guys like Yamamura and Lamm think the Axiom 80 is among the best driver developed. They have gone on record stating this. As I said only when I hear will I probably understand what’s the hype.

To be honest I am not even sure what to expect. There is very little info on it on the net. The only thing I know is this is the only full range driver which does 20 hz to 20 kHz

Will be going for a box. OB is out. The box will basically be a Goodman designed original one but with some modifications as suggested by Thoress. Am going in for a Thoress F2A integrated amp
Good decision. Imo high compliance driver are more suitable for an BR, Sealed, TL enclosure as the suspension will need support of the box for the spring effect. The stuffing of the box should be bare minimum with a 4mm felt lining only on the back panel and zero stuffing. This can be better determined by measuring the assembled box impedance response.The squarish opening is more like a hybrid TL / BR type of design more for reducing the mass loading and to reduce too much spring effect at very low frequency.

What kind of ply and what thickness do you recommend Hari? And do you recommend bracing?

Box has an Aperiodic vent.

What kind of ply and what thickness do you recommend Hari? And do you recommend bracing?

Box has an Aperiodic vent.
Aperiodic vent is typically used to reduce impedance peak at resonance. Also it reduces some back pressure on the driver cone at low frequency. I would suggest using a variovent in the Aperiodic opening.

Brich marine plywood are very rigid and do not suffer from panel resonance. You need to physically examine the plywood sheet and knock them with your knuckles and you should hear just a dull plop kind of sounch that decays quick. Also put your ears onbthe plywood andcask someone else to knock gently at a distance of 4 feet. You should not hear any sound with your ears touching the panel at a distance of 4 feet. If yes, then this plywood will have it's own coloured sound.

My preference will be real wood like Rosewood, Mangowood, Spurce wood, Pinewood. Teak wood etc - 25mm thick for the very reason that panel resonance will be minimum and real wood would not have too much coloration. Even if they vibrate the tone will be acceptable unlike marine plywood. You can notice sound of a marineplywood by rubbing a sand paper on top of it. Do the same on real wood and notice scrapping sound.

Does hardwood come in a single piece of 3 ft x 2 ft?
Yes but only buy hardwood if it is completely dried (air/kiln) else cracks are almost guaranteed.

Ganga traders,
Near bharat bhuvan hotel.
Opp Hanuman Temple,
Godapdev cross rd no 4,
Reay road west
Manoj Malde @ 9324819298

This guy will have all you need.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back