Got to buy 2 LCD/Plasma Help Reqd.

No Point in going for an HD ready TV since i watch HD/BD rips thru WDTV also although much less than DTH.

Hey PM123,
Did you think about the possibility of owning a HD ready plasma and a full HD LCD for the choices of two TVs you are considering?

Where are you considering to watch the HD/BD rips and DTH? Get the Samsung B450 720p for DTH and a Philips/Sony FHD for HD/BD to get the best of both worlds.

FYI, 1080p looks excellent in the 720p sets although not as great as in a 1080p set. Conversely, 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i all looks better in a 720p set.

One more thing is, The plasmas look bad in the showrooms and the showroom guys deploy a bad splitter for the DTH. Have a home audition if possible and decide.

@beebva: Iam not a Moderator/Expert. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Where are you considering to watch the HD/BD rips and DTH? Get the Samsung B450 720p for DTH and a Philips/Sony FHD for HD/BD to get the best of both worlds.

Apologies Blasto :eek:

I was considering purchase of Sammy B450 plasma
1. Are you saying that the Sammy B450 is not suitable to watch HD?
2. Is it capable?
3. is just the PQ slightly below par?

though I will be doing although Major viewing will be DTH?

Apologies Blasto :eek:

I was considering purchase of Sammy B450 plasma
1. Are you saying that the Sammy B450 is not suitable to watch HD?
2. Is it capable?
3. is just the PQ slightly below par?

though I will be doing although Major viewing will be DTH?

Iam just saying that pm123's requirements are different as he wants to see 1080p blueray rips in his TV most of the time.

720p and 1080i HD will look stunning on the B450 as it is a 720p TV. Currently and in near future, all digital HD broadcast will be in either of the above two formats.

1080p HD will have to be down scaled inorder to fit in the 720p size and it will lose some details in the process. This is true for all 720p TVs like LG PQ30/PQ60/PQ70, Panasonic PV8/PV80/C10/X10, Samsung B430/B450 etc. All of these TVs are capable of playing 1080p but not as great as the native 1080p TVs.

Given the above restriction, The Panasonic C10/X10 perferms slightly better than the B450 in HD while the samsung takes the top slot for the SD.

1080p resolution is available only in some Blue ray content as of today. 1080p content will look as good as 720p content on these TVs or slightly better.

'Great' is a relative term, Demo a 1080p video with B450 and I assure you it will be stunning because the details and clarity at that level of resolution is so much that even if some details are missed, the picture tends to look stunning. The converse is not true. The SD will look good on a 1080p TV only if it is carefully upscaled by a robust imaging algorithm like the sony's or samsung's. This algorithm works much better on 720p sets as the scaling is lesser than what needs to be done for a 1080p set.

Also, I think you are doing too much of research.. ;)
Demo the B450 & C10 with TATA sky, 720p and 1080p videos and pick up the best.
If you want to know how stunning the 1080p can look like, Demo the Panasonic G10. But be warned that G10 has a bad PQ when it comes to SD and cost >65k. Go for it only if you have a collection of blueray 1080p rips as pm123 has. Even then Sd will be a compromise.

Last edited:
Iam just saying that pm123's requirements are different as he wants to see 1080p blueray rips in his TV most of the time.

Yes I believe so but a little more clarity on the matter helped. Thx for the explanation :cool:

Also, I think you are doing too much of research.. ;)

Demo the B450 & C10 with TATA sky, 720p and 1080p videos and pick up the best.

Will heed the final advice and revert if necessary and will refrain from impinging on your time and repetitiveness that you have felt. As I am now rather enlightened. No more research.
Was just being cautious as am entering th digital TV club.

Just so that you know the difficulty in Goa. Went back to the multi-brand showroom to see if the plasma had been put on display All to no avail only LCD and LEDs . Moreover no DTH signals there too only demo dvds an movies via dvd player!!
Will plan a trip out and pick up TVs.
In the meantime thanks for yor advice.:)

Hey PM123,
Did you think about the possibility of owning a HD ready plasma and a full HD LCD for the choices of two TVs you are considering?

FYI, 1080p looks excellent in the 720p sets although not as great as in a 1080p set. Conversely, 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i all looks better in a 720p set.

One more thing is, The plasmas look bad in the showrooms and the showroom guys deploy a bad splitter for the DTH. Have a home audition if possible and decide.

Thanks for your advise blasto. However in the house it is not possible to keep 2 diff Tv's for HD and DTH seperately. Thus i am getting inclined towards the samsung LED which is good for DTH as well as HD. For the bedroom can't go for more than 32". So have to consider either sony or samsung or philips 5609. Please advise which one should i go for in 32" .

Thanks a lot buddy for your help.

Hey PM123,

Hi guys,

any advice on the 32" one. Should it be sonyW550 or samsung b530 or samsung b550 or philips 5609?

Thanks,

Piyush.

While I am not a technically qualified expert, be aware the human eye cannot see more than 720 lines, so for a 32" TV even a HD ready TV would give you a great picture.

True, a HD signal on a big screen looks (or maybe we imagine) much better than on a smaller screen.

I too, have 40" in my living room and a 32" in my bedroom....

While I am not a technically qualified expert, be aware the human eye cannot see more than 720 lines, so for a 32" TV even a HD ready TV would give you a great picture.

True, a HD signal on a big screen looks (or maybe we imagine) much better than on a smaller screen.

I too, have 40" in my living room and a 32" in my bedroom....

Cannot be more accurate.
Full HD does not make any sense for a 32" TV.

But given that in the 32" range, the price difference is negligible between the HD ready and Full HD, You can buy the FHD for personal preference.
If anything Samsung 32" B450 is a great choice for the price though it is 720p.
Samsung LE32B450 / LE32B450C / LE32B450C4W Review
This thing is a great performer for SD. Much better then the FHD sets.

@pm123, You have listed the best choices in the range, After this, It is your preference and cost that matters.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back