GR-Research X-LS Encore - Build

a CNC lazer ?

MDF ? with the bevels ?

did you see the grill being done on a cnc lazer ?
please re confirm

Actually the frame is made using Multi-wood and acrylic, the top layer is multi wood and bottom layer is acrylic. Top layer is done with CNC Router and the bottom layer on CNC laser.

Thanks,
Bibin

a CNC lazer ?

MDF ? with the bevels ?

did you see the grill being done on a cnc lazer ?
please re confirm

Magma,

The frame's cuts are done with CNC Laser and CNC Router.

It's not MDF, its Multi-wood a kind of plastic based material which is normally in white colour.

Last edited:
Thanks. That link gave the marketing speak. Very interesting. But how is your experience in practice.

For eg would you ever consider making a cabinet out of them? Maybe 2 layers, ply/MDF on the inside and multiwood on the outside.

At this time i don't have an answer, because i haven't build a LS with this material.

But some of the advantages are:

1. We can apply water for sanding.
2. CNC Router machines can cut this material.

Last edited:
How dense is multiwood? If denser than MDF, I think it would be better than MDF for speaker cabinets. And even if more dense, I doubt the difference for small speakers would even matter. For larger speakers, I should think it might matter.

Am curious - why the question of building a layered cabinet with ply/mdf as the inner layer? What possible benefit do you see this having?

Keith
If the multiwood is anything like they describe I.e PVC polymer composition which I suspect it is
We can't use it in cabs
Plastic flexes for the same thickness

Can be used in cheaper ht stuff which it is already used in btw

In grills on the other hand it is a good choice other than plexi all the way
Which would turn expensive

Even if it flexes a bit, I don't think it would flex so much as to warp a cabinet made of this material. And IMO some flex will not generate cabinet resonances which is the bane of wood and the like. And resonance is what I'm thinking off when I said that Multiwood is probably better than MDF. My apologies for not being explicit.

Just found this:

Typical Density:
MDF - 780 Kg/m3
Multiwood - 575-675 Kg/m3

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this:

Typical Density:
MDF - 780 Kg/m3
Multiwood - 575-675 Kg/m3

I was actually thinking of using this instead of MDF. Just went to the shop and took sample of 18mm Multiwood. What I personally feel is the material has lesser density and weight when compared to MDF.

But with proper Bracing we can use for mainly Bookshelf works and even for Floorstanders also.

I will be trying this for one of my project. We can only know when we actually do a practical work with this material.

So far this material seems promising, but as I said need to try it out and see the actual result.

Another advantage are:
1. It doesn't need any primary treatment like what we do for wood and MDF. It stays life time for sure.
2. Majority of the local CNC router shops will take up the work since it won't throw dust, like MDF and wood.
3. Getting a professional finish is a breeze since we can use even water on that for sanding.
4. Can screw, glue, paint etc. and also its a recyclable material.

The price for this sheet ( 8' x 4 ' ) for 18mm is around 5K INR. And 25mm is also available.

Sharing its technical data: Multiwood Technical Data l Multiwood Eco Friendly l Go Green with Multiwood

BTW, today able to do the bitumen treatment for the X-LS Encore build. I am sharing few shots below.

Last edited:
@bijinmb: whenever the Encores are ready for listening please don't forget to try them with the Jean Hiraga amps.

@bijinmb - how did you fix those bitumen sheets to the walls? Is there a type of sheet that works better than others?

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back