GR-Research X-LS Encore - Build

hello guys, I am working on the assembling the kit ..can anyone send me the wiring diagram please ?? [email protected]

I am assuming you need wiring diagram of the crossover to the binding pots and speakers?

If yes, there will be three pairs of points on the crossover circuit board - one pair is for connecting the + and - of the binding post, second for + and - of tweeter, and third pair for + and - of woofer.

Before cutting the supplied single core copper wires (red and white coloured), measure at least twice then cut. Twist the wires together.

Pls search in "Best deal ever..." thread. I recall posting close up photos of the crossover wiring.

Thanks...Jls.. Just now I came to know that we need sponge sort of material to put inside the cabinets walls to reduce boom....Can you let me know what is that material ? and how much is needed ? I will get this done this weekend ..

What I use is called NoRez foam, from GR Research. It is a special foam, one side having a hard bituminous layer that is glued to the inside of the baffle. One sheet is BARELY sufficient for the XL-S Encore when cut very carefully.

You can also use a bitumen sheet (there are ready-made ones available). I am not sure if one needs to use foam above the bitumen layer). But you certainly need to use rockwool (the best), or polyfill (same stuff used to fill Recron pillows). Regarding foam, I will ask a fellow forumer (who is right now building a speaker) whether foam is required.

Thanks...Jls.. Just now I came to know that we need sponge sort of material to put inside the cabinets walls to reduce boom....Can you let me know what is that material ? and how much is needed ? I will get this done this weekend ..

Hi Chandan,
I did not buy the NoRez sheets .....So what I did was get the bitumen sheet from bijin's online shop since he has the adhesive one ....its easier to fix on the cabinets ...and then line on top of that with Recron that had been taken out of a new pillow ....It was very difficult to get bitumen sheets in Hyderabad ....So your best bet is to get it from Bijin's online shop ...

Anand

Hi Chandan,
I did not buy the NoRez sheets .....So what I did was get the bitumen sheet from bijin's online shop since he has the adhesive one ....its easier to fix on the cabinets ...and then line on top of that with Recron that had been taken out of a new pillow ....It was very difficult to get bitumen sheets in Hyderabad ....So your best bet is to get it from Bijin's online shop ...

Anand

Hi Chandan,

I had already lined the internal of your cabinet with bitumen sheet. You only need to add poly fibre.

Thanks,
Bibin

Some WIP pictures are here: http://www.hifivision.com/diy/28409-cabinet-build-gr-group-buy-kits-3.html

Some more here: http://www.hifivision.com/diy/19688-best-ever-deal-loudspeaker-kits-160.html

Even more pictures here:

1) The crossovers all wired up

82k4.jpg

2) Test Fitting one X-Over

pqvf.jpg

3) Rounding the inside edge of the woofer hole - this is important to do as it affects the sound:

radiusing.png

From the links, you can see the foam (NoRez). It is firmly stuck to the inside of the baffles. The side which sticks to the baffle is bitumen-like damping material.

Should you use foam? The thumb rule (as per said speaker building forumer referred to in my previous post) is: a vented box speaker should be lined. Ported boxes should be stuffed. Now, I just realised that I don't know what is meant by "vented". Ported, per limited understanding, is like the XL-S Encore as it has a port at the rear through a plastic pipe of specific length.

Personal observation: with NoRez lining fixed, if I remove all the polyfill filling, the bass booms. If I stuffed it back in, at some point when the polyfill fills up all available niche without being compacted too much, it sounds balanced. So go for hybrid model - lined with foam as well as filled with foam. BTW, rockwool sheets can also be used for lining.

<snip>Should you use foam? The thumb rule (as per said speaker building forumer referred to in my previous post) is: a vented box speaker should be lined. Ported boxes should be stuffed. Now, I just realised that I don't know what is meant by "vented". Ported, per limited understanding, is like the XL-S Encore as it has a port at the rear through a plastic pipe of specific length.<snip>

Correction. Vented/Ported boxes should be lines and sealed boxes should be stuffed :)

Chandan, you definitely need to line the inner walls of your speaker with some absorbent material. Open cell foam works well. Bajaao.com is selling wedge shaped acoustic foam for Rs.150 [1'x1'x2"]. If you feel that it is expensive, try to get 1.5" - 2" thick open cell foam [you should be able to blow air through it] at a mattress shop. If the surface of the foam is convoluted, better. This should work well and better than the polyfill. Polyfill works well for stuffing and I'm not sure how well it will do for lining a speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks keith....I will check out the cabinet and see if it is rounded....If it is not, then it will be difficult to do it since the box is completely sealed and I don't think we can do this manually. I will try source the damping material tomorrow...and one more question....Do we need to cover all the walls of inside or is there any specific location for that .... ?

Last edited:
Thanks keith....I will check out the cabinet and see if it is rounded....If it is not, then it will be difficult to do it since the box is completely sealed and I don't think we can do this manually.

Sorry, WHAT?????

<snip>Do we need to cover all the walls of inside or is there any specific location for that .... ?
All the inner walls except the back of the front baffle.

Thanks keith....I will check out the cabinet and see if it is rounded....If it is not, then it will be difficult to do it since the box is completely sealed and I don't think we can do this manually.

@ Chandan

If this is regarding the radius on the back side of the woofer mounting hole on front baffle you are talking about, then Yes I have rounded those edges.

thanks,
Bibin

yes bibin...it is rounded off. Thanks

Guys, after searching through the weekend for the Recron fibre material, the only material I found was pillow fibre which is like loose cotton..just want to know if this material works in the box ? If yes, then how to attach such loose material inside the box ??

Guys, after searching through the weekend for the Recron fibre material, the only material I found was pillow fibre which is like loose cotton..just want to know if this material works in the box ? If yes, then how to attach such loose material inside the box ??

I read somewhere in the forum that some of the branded pillows use the recron fibre. So your best bet would be get that pillow instead of searching for the recron in loose retail.

yes getting recron is not a big problem..but if we attach that material inside the box , will it work ?? It will be like loose cotton and i wonder how we can attach that to the inner walls of the speaker

Last edited:
Yes i think you can use the loose but preferably from a new unused pillow. May be some of the other FMs who use this can chip in but I have seen some videos on youtube who have used the same loose recron fibre for damping the cabinets.

Edit: To update you I actually used the sponge from a rocking chair seat as my damping material in my DIY Zaph speakers build which was of a good quality.

yes getting recron is not a big problem..but if we attach that material inside the box , will it work ?? It will be like loose cotton and i wonder how we can attach that to the inner walls of the speaker

Foam is to be attached to the inner walls. Polyfill fiber is to be stuffed into the inside of the box, no attaching required. Grab handfulls and just stuff it into the box. Fill up and distribute evenly. Alternately, you can make small pillow like cloth casings and fill up the polyfill fiber and place the small "pillows" at strategic points.

What Joshua said.

"Recron" is Reliance Industries "brand" name for Polyester fibre. If you buy a pillow made by Reliance, it has Recron fibre in it. Costs ~Rs.350 per pillow. There are other pillows that are cheaper. ~Rs.275 - they may not use Recron but an equivalent. Some other brands use Recron and they say so on the packaging.

You may not need the Polyfill fibre for stuffing at all. To determine this, keep one speaker unstuffed. Stuff the other, one handful [tease it out well] at a time behind the woofer. Listen to both. See which one you like. Replicate the configuration of the one you like across the other speaker too.

Yes i think you can use the loose but preferably from a new unused pillow. May be some of the other FMs who use this can chip in but I have seen some videos on youtube who have used the same loose recron fibre for damping the cabinets.

Edit: To update you I actually used the sponge from a rocking chair seat as my damping material in my DIY Zaph speakers build which was of a good quality.

i have begun assembling my cabinets for the GR research HT kit and am yet to do the damping part how is your experience with foam is it better than the other options bitumen sheet( difficult to fix), polyfill, yoga mat etc foam is much easier to handle than bitumensheet.

i have begun assembling my cabinets for the GR research HT kit and am yet to do the damping part how is your experience with foam is it better than the other options bitumen sheet( difficult to fix), polyfill, yoga mat etc foam is much easier to handle than bitumensheet.

I have not used the foam in my Zaph build (not the GR kit) and as per the suggestion from the Zaph audio I used the sponge of 1 1/2" thickness to line across the walls.

i first lined the speakers with 3m rubber mat.. the kind used in door mats etc...but the heavy variety. i have seen they really help deaden the cab noise. and then used foam. some poly fill as per requirement and personal choice. i use the mat n foam in all my builds really.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back