GR-Research X-LS Encore - Build

Bitumen sheet is used to minimise resonance of cabinet walls and foam is for minimising standing waves arising from the backward movement of the speaker cone. No rez comprises of both.
+1.

Foam helps dissipate the energy of the driver back wave into heat through friction caused by offering resistance to the wave. So the energy of the wave when it emerges from the back of the foam [which is fixed to the wall] is reduced. But it is still present, and can excite the walls of the enclosure causing unwanted resonances - hence the use of damping material for the enclosure like bitumen sheets, rubber etc. which mass load and deaden the enclosure walls and prevent resonances. These waves are also reflected off the walls and interfere with the forward/backward movement of the speaker cone so all the more reason to decrease them.

You cannot use enclosure damping material [rubber sheets, bitumen etc.] interchangeably with foam, rockwool, glasswool etc. because they perform different functions though they complement each other. Unless of course you use something like NoRez which performs both functions.

The usage of polyfill for this particular application increases the perceived volume of the box changing the "Q" downwards from originally designed. But I think, room gain of ~+3dB to ~+9dB [depending on the frequency] kicks in thus making up for the change in "Q". But that is a function of your room and not of the speaker. So please experiment with no polyfill and putting in little amounts of polyfill and then freezing on the usage of polyfill.

Note: all this is as per my [limited] knowledge so feel free to correct me if I have misstated something.

The usage of polyfill for this particular application increases the perceived volume of the box changing the "Q" downwards from originally designed. But I think, room gain of ~+3dB to ~+9dB [depending on the frequency] kicks in thus making up for the change in "Q". But that is a function of your room and not of the speaker. So please experiment with no polyfill and putting in little amounts of polyfill and then freezing on the usage of polyfill.

Note: all this is as per my [limited] knowledge so feel free to correct me if I have misstated something.

AFAIK what is stated is correct. During my interactions with Danny, I was told that the volume of X-LS is suboptimal. Apparently it will do better with more volume. So adding measured amount of polyfill should make things better I guess.

Curious, why did people who use them on stands build them as medium sized bookshelves, large format bookshelves would have worked better, no?
Yeah, that is why I have plans to make the X-SLS

If someone wants, they can make the speakers larger than mini monitors by making the speakers sans the bottom dead space.

Yeah, that is why I have plans to make the X-SLS

If someone wants, they can make the speakers larger than mini monitors by making the speakers sans the bottom dead space.

hello Capt. Rajesh,

request you to put little more light on this. Actually i didnt undertand the last part of above quote.

Regards, Amit

Actually i didnt undertand the last part of above quote.

The link provided by me in my previous post opens a PDF file having box plan of the X-SLS speaker. The bottom portion of the speaker according to the drawing is dead space i.e. does not form part of the volume of the speaker. In the same drawing, Danny wrote that this dead space be filled with sand ostensibly to increase weight aiding in stability and perhaps also to reduce box resonances.

Do also read the thread on the other forum, a link for which I've provided in post No. 90 of the current thread.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back