Great musicians of the 20th century

darn good box set for anyone wanting to build a serious jazz collection on CD, on a super saver price!

though, just check what kind of pressings these are....

(The Coltrane track for me is the GREATEST single track from the 20th Century).If you don't like it,please say so.I promise I won't mind.:)[/QUOTE]

I do like this version by Coltrane and like it tremendously.... I agree with your assessment about Peter White and most smooth jazz artists being commercial and producing pleasing,easy sounding,creamy music but it still sounds nice....

I would suggest you listen to more of Chris Botti as he is a little different ...that collaboration with yo yo ma does not give a correct picture although his arrangements are lush and sweet sounding and not free jazz....

And please do feel free to give your opinions and not worry about what others may think...this is after all a forum and not a diplomatic conference....

Cheers Sir

70's Pop!Where it all began for me.Not much is said or heard about these guys on the forum.So I will try and nudge some memories for(hopefully)some folks.

Cliff Richard
Neil Diamond
Paul Anka
Barry Manilow
Abba
Carpenters
Beegees
George Baker Selection
Brotherhood Of Man
Carl Douglas
George Mcrae
Glen Campbell
John Denver
Elton John
Billy Joel
Tom Jones
Wings
Anne Murray
Mary Hopkins
Tony Orlando
Kenny Rogers
Barbara Streisand
Rod Stewart
Boney M
Donna Summers
Baccara
Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Queen
Simon & Garfunkel
Bread
America
Seals and Croft
Alan Parson
Manfred Mann
Any Takers?

David Bowie has been around for more than 4 decades and is still one of the few rock vocalists who is seldom boring.The trick I believe is that he keeps moving and changes his sound with every album.
Space Oddity
YouTube - David Bowie - Space Oddity (stereo version)
Five Years
YouTube - David Bowie - Five Years Live 1972
Starman
YouTube - David Bowie- Starman
Rock & Roll Suicide
YouTube - David Bowie - Rock n Roll Suicide
China Girl
YouTube - David Bowie - China Girl
Absolute Beginners
YouTube - David Bowie - Absolute Beginners

Some great new jazz cd's at rhythm house.
Rhythm House Product Details
and blues
*I got a 100/-refund on each of the two cd sets of Julian Bream I bought recently.Both from the RCA label.But no refund on another single cd of Julian Bream.Intend to check up on this.
Universal too has a 1 cd free with every cd sale going on,but the choice is limited to rock music only.

Wishbone Ash was a 70's rock group from England,popular for their twin lead guitars.The album I owned and enjoyed listening to was 'Just Testing' with 'Helpless' and 'Master of Disguise'.Did not achieve the fame of a Who or Led Zep.Not in that class anyway,but they were not bad.Other big tracks.... Warrior,Persephone,Phoenix,Lorelie,Pilgrim,Blowing Free
YouTube - Wishbone Ash - Helpless
Billy Squier was an American rocker who was big for a little while and then lost the limelight.Big track Rock Me Tonight,The Stroke,In The Dark,Lonely Is The Night.Best Album 'Don't Say No'.My favourite....
YouTube - Billy Squier - In the Dark

wishbone ash...weren't their 'everybody needs a friend' featured in almost every pirated 'best of rock' cassette that came out of thailand?..'labels' like peacock, michael etc...nice song though...like 'astronomy' by blue oyster cult, 'behind blue eyes' by the who , stuff from uriah heep, lynrd skynrd , grand funk railroad and other bands like band company, stone roses etc..all part of that listening and learning curve

wishbone ash...weren't their 'everybody needs a friend' featured in almost every pirated 'best of rock' cassette that came out of thailand?..'labels' like peacock, michael etc...nice song though...like 'astronomy' by blue oyster cult, 'behind blue eyes' by the who , stuff from uriah heep, lynrd skynrd , grand funk railroad and other bands like band company, stone roses etc..all part of that listening and learning curve

ALL PART OF THE LISTENING AND LEARNING CURVE
And guys like James Brown,Ray Charles,Sam Cooke,Otis Redding,Marvin Gaye,Lou Rawls....and Aretha Franklin are the steepest part of that 'pop music learning curve'....coz they were simply the best!

70's Pop!Where it all began for me.Not much is said or heard about these guys on the forum.So I will try and nudge some memories for(hopefully)some folks.

Cliff Richard
Neil Diamond
Paul Anka
Barry Manilow
Abba
Carpenters
Beegees
George Baker Selection
Brotherhood Of Man
Carl Douglas
George Mcrae
Glen Campbell
John Denver
Elton John
Billy Joel

Tom Jones
Wings
Anne Murray
Mary Hopkins
Tony Orlando
Kenny Rogers
Barbara Streisand
Rod Stewart
Boney M
Donna Summers
Baccara
Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Queen
Simon & Garfunkel
Bread
America
Seals and Croft
Alan Parson
Manfred Mann
Any Takers?

Me!:D

As for Sam Cooke, I was just listening to 'A change is gonna come'.

Me!:D

As for Sam Cooke, I was just listening to 'A change is gonna come'.

Check out his cover version of 'Summertime'.Every single syllable and word is clearly and beautifully enunciated.At the other end of the spectrum you would have plenty of contemporary singers who mumble indecipherable noises:mad:
Also check out his other great tracks like Cupid,Chain Gang,Little Red Rooster,Nobody knows the trouble I've seen,Keep Movin'.
YouTube - Sam Cooke - Summer time (w/ Lyrics)

Leonard Cohen.Songwriter or Poet?Great Baritone voice.Made for an intimate listening session.Hallelujah,of course enjoys celebrity status because of recent covers by John Cale,Jeff Buckley,Rufus Wainwright,Watchmen,American Idol etc.Sexual imagery sells and is present in many Cohen tracks.Along with themes of loss,sadness,longing...
Too many great songs to be listed here but my personal favorites would be
Take This Waltz
Dance Me To The End Of Love
I'm Your Man
Everybody Knows
Tower Of Song
Suzanne
The Future
Closing Time
First We Take Manhattan
Democracy
Waiting For A Miracle
YouTube - Leonard Cohen - I'm your man
YouTube - Leonard Cohen - Dance Me to the End Of Love
YouTube - Take This Waltz [Official Music Video]

When it comes to vocals I would categorically say Black Is Best.The number of white vocalists I listen to is in single digits.Roy Orbinson,of course,is the best.No other white popular singer can touch him.During those incredible,short lived Travelling Wilbury's session's,Dylan remarked about Orbinson
"With Roy,you didn't know if you were listening to mariachi or opera. He kept you on your toes.With him,it was all about fat and blood.He sounded like he was singing from an Olympian mountaintop...he was singing his compositions in three or four octaves that made you want to drive your car over a cliff. He sang like a professional criminal... His voice could jar a corpse,always leave you muttering to yourself something like,'Man,I don't believe it'."
Barry Gibb when he heard Orbinson's 'Crying' felt
"That was it.To me that was the voice of God."
Dwight Yoakim
"Orbinsion's voice sounds like the cry of an angel falling backward through an open window"
Bruce Sprinsteen while speaking at Roy's induction into the Hall of Fame
"Now we all know that Roy Orbinson is the best."
In 1963,at a Beatles concert,Roy Orbinson was the introductory act before the big boys came on.But when the fab four finally came on stage,they were greeted by a screaming,chanting audience demanding WE WANT ROY!
YouTube - Roy Orbison - Crying (HQ)
YouTube - Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (HQ)

AND MY FAVORITE POP SONG OF ALL TIMES:

An old man on his death bed whispered to me
"You are the master of your destiny"
A diamond is a diamond a stone a stone
But a mans not all good nor all bad
Call them as you see them,youll stand alone
Youre the best friend that you ever had oh yeah
Youre the best friend that you ever had
So laugh when its time to laugh,
Cry when its time to cry,
Live while its time to live
Youll die when its time to die

lalalalalala....................
Then he closed his eyes and left me alone,
My old friends death brought his wisdom home
A diamond is a diamond a stone a stone
But a mans not all good nor all bad
Call them as you see them youll stand alone,
Youre the best friend that you ever had,oh yeah
Youre the best friend that you ever had
So laugh when its time to laugh
Cry when its time to cry
Live while its time to live
Youll die when its time to die
Lalalalalalala.................
YouTube - Roy Orbison - Best Friend

Ajay, any idea about the quality of the said CD?
One Leondard Cohen song I have listened to many times is 'Famous Blue Raincoat'.

I have owned this 2CD Set for ages and would never dream of parting with it.Not just the tracks,even the SQ,especially on CD2 is superb.I use the CD2 for tweaking/positioning my speakers.Grab it while it's there.

@iaudio
If you search Leonard Cohen on the Rhythm House site you will find,that most of his single CD's are priced at 499,including Suri's 'Traitor' CD.
But The Essential Leonard Cohen is a 2 CD set for 499.It is also the most comprehensive,career spanning Cohen CD,I have ever come across.This is the kind of VFM pricing I look for whenever I buy a CD.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back