Great musicians of the 20th century

been listening to Blue Rodeo- Five Days in July...easy listening stuff from the garage rock genre pioneered by Neil Young and the Crazy Horse...another Canadian Band that i liked was The Tragically Hip...and a brother sister outfit called The Cowboy Junkies...Canadian again....but of course the band from up north was The Band...The Weight, The Night they drove old dixie down, it makes no difference...what songs ..good to catch The Last Waltz on a movie channel now and then....

been listening to Blue Rodeo- Five Days in July...easy listening stuff from the garage rock genre pioneered by Neil Young and the Crazy Horse...another Canadian Band that i liked was The Tragically Hip...and a brother sister outfit called The Cowboy Junkies...Canadian again....but of course the band from up north was The Band...The Weight, The Night they drove old dixie down, it makes no difference...what songs ..good to catch The Last Waltz on a movie channel now and then....

The Last Waltz ....a blast from the past....big day when the film came to Chandigarh for a solitary evening show....half a dozen of us,boisterous and drunk....waiting breathlessly for Bob Dylan to come on....I think he finally comes on for the finale.....any day now,any day now,I shall be released...

Some song bites (from my not so sinful past - though i wish it was more sinful:lol:). Bought a dvd of a concert of Fleetwood Macs concert called "The Dance". The concert was held sometime in 1997 when Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks/Christine McVie/and Mick Fleetwood get together again to create some old magic and nostalgia in this live performance.

Buckinghams unplugged version of the hit "Big Love" is pretty good and fresh.

Mick Fleetwood is a BEAST! :D and a treat to watch as he plays the drums with his usual ecstatic and funny expressions. Watch the video of the Chain :yahoo:

YouTube - Fleetwood Mac - Big Love (Live: The Dance)

YouTube - Fleetwood Mac - The Dance-1997-The Chain

PS: IMHO the band deserves a place in the line up of great musicians of the 20th century.:clapping::cheers:

@ Ajay : Thanks for Black Betty and Walk on the wild side. Its been such a long time since i heard these songs.Almost forgot that these gems existed.
Here's some van Morrison served for B' fast.:eek:hyeah:

Do you still listen to the Celtic King Ajay:cool:
Was browsing through some cassettes in a small music store near park street, when the album covers classic microphone caught my attention.

Remember buying this cassette (The Best Of Van Morrison) in Calcutta in 1991. Listening to it the first time got me interested in the Celtic kings music.

Alternative Wisdom : Sometimes you should judge the book by its cover.

Attachments

• 1960'S SHURE 55S ELVIS ROCKABILLY MIC.jpg
    1960'S SHURE 55S ELVIS ROCKABILLY MIC.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 43
Do you still listen to the Celtic King Ajay:cool:
Was browsing through some cassettes in a small music store near park street, when the album covers classic microphone caught my attention.

Remember buying this cassette (The Best Of Van Morrison) in Calcutta in 1991. Listening to it the first time got me interested in the Celtic kings music.

Alternative Wisdom : Sometimes you should judge the book by its cover.

I was very fond of Van Morrison in the 80's and had many albums on tape-Astral Weeks,Moondance,Into The Music,Beautiful Vision,No Guru,No Method,No Teacher.No Guru was different and my favorite,but the rest were also very precious to me.Later on those tapes suffered the ravages of time,some were borrowed and never returned.In the 90's,I got the best of Van Morrison tape,which was good in parts,but not as satisfying as the complete albums I had earlier.Later,I completely stopped listening to Van for many years.A few months back,I bought a 2 CD compilation called Still On Top-The Best of VM.Personally selected by the singer as the best of his career,it's a good anthology,with good sound.Standout track for me is In The Garden from No Guru...
But for vocals,my current favorites are James Brown,Ray Charles,Sam Cooke,Nat King Cole,Nina Simone,Billie Holiday,Aretha Franklin and Mahalia Jackson!!!.Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald are eternal favorites.The 'whites' I am currently listening to-Phil Ochs,Leonard Cohen,Roy Orbinson,David Bowie,Simon & Garfunkel:)
Rhythm House Still On Top-The Best Of Van Morrison

@Rajiv
"Don't you just love you tube."
I do!
But every convenient thing has it's pitfalls.With You Tube it's so easy to convey what you want by copy/pasting a link,that writing what we feel about the music becomes a tiresome exercise.I think posting one's memories/pleasures/opinions along with the video,adds to the pleasure of following/posting on a thread.
Welcome aboard:)

I'm not sure if this is the place to post the sort of observation I am about to make, seeing that we are talking about vocalists like Cohen, Van Morrison and Orbison..... but I am going to make my point anyway. About vocalists with great (strike that, really IMPRESSIVE) vocal range. These sort of vocalists are usually found in the Hard Rock/ Heavy metal genre.

Sebastian Bach (Skid Row) - hear him amazing vocal range in "18 and Life" and "Wasted Time"

Eric Adams (Manowar): Their music can be classified as battle metal with constant reference to Odin and glorious death in battle. For those of you who have stereotyped heavy metal as senseless noise, listen to Manowar, and your musical horizon will be considerable widened. Those into classical music of the Wagner variety, will definitely see the influence of Wagner in Manowar music.

R.J. Dio (Rainbow) - Man on the Silver Mountain. He practically growls in this song, but in a pitch which will make Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam) sound like Coldplay by comparision.

Rob Halford (Judas Priest): his vocals are an integral part of Priest.

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin): and who, entering this forum and reading this thread would not have heard of the legendary Robert Plant. Love that part in "Going to California" where he goes
It seems that the wrath of the gods got a punch on the nose
And it's startin' to flow, I think I might be sinkin'
Throw me a line, if I reach it in time
Meet you up there where the path runs straight and high

Don't get me wrong. I'm not the exclusively heavy metal/ hard rock type who hates all other kinds of music. I also love Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Everly Brothers and Skeeter Davis and a host of others who are as far removed from metal as can be.

These sort of vocalists are usually found in the Hard Rock/ Heavy metal genre.

Sebastian Bach (Skid Row) - hear him amazing vocal range in "18 and Life" and "Wasted Time"

Eric Adams (Manowar): Their music can be classified as battle metal with constant reference to Odin and glorious death in battle. For those of you who have stereotyped heavy metal as senseless noise, listen to Manowar, and your musical horizon will be considerable widened. Those into classical music of the Wagner variety, will definitely see the influence of Wagner in Manowar music.

R.J. Dio (Rainbow) - Man on the Silver Mountain. He practically growls in this song, but in a pitch which will make Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam) sound like Coldplay by comparision.

Rob Halford (Judas Priest): his vocals are an integral part of Priest.

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin): and who, entering this forum and reading this thread would not have heard of the legendary Robert Plant. Love that part in "Going to California" where he goes
It seems that the wrath of the gods got a punch on the nose
And it's startin' to flow, I think I might be sinkin'
Throw me a line, if I reach it in time
Meet you up there where the path runs straight and high

Don't get me wrong. I'm not the exclusively heavy metal/ hard rock type who hates all other kinds of music. I also love Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Everly Brothers and Skeeter Davis and a host of others who are as far removed from metal as can be.

Sebastian Bach - amen to that. He was voted best vocalist by a reputed magazine when Skid Row broke into the scene.

Manowar guy: again, amen to that.

Ronnie James Dio: had many imitators, but there was only one Dio.

Halford: the driving rhythm guitars and weird guitar effects preferred by JP, perfectly in sync with his sometimes surreal voice was the hallmark of the Priests.

Plant: 'nuff said.

Joshua

I'm not sure if this is the place to post the sort of observation I am about to make, seeing that we are talking about vocalists like Cohen, Van Morrison and Orbison..... but I am going to make my point anyway.

Having know Ajay for a very short time, when he started this thread, I think his intentions were to include rather than exclude. More of the opinions the better because not all have the ability to talk of music that they like.

I take a very easy way out thanks to being lazy for decades. I normally avoid judging music by how complex it is or how difficult it was to play a certain tune. Believe me, I have extremely talented Jazz composers and musicians in my family.

Heavy Metal these days though, I find it hard to listen to no matter how good. An occasional slow rock I can digest.

What I am trying to say in so many words is that one doesn't really have to apologise for the kind of music that one listens to or who one thinks is a good musician. All one needs to do is to keep an open mind. Try listening to various kinds of music, and quite a lot of really good music is suggested/listened to on this forum and am sure most of us will end up being surprised at what we like. :)

Regards,

Sunil

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back