Great Tasting Vinyl

Jaco Pastorius
Jaco-Pastorius-Jaco-Pastorius-1976-Front-Cover-32846.jpg

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink+Floyd+-+Wish+You+Were+Here.jpg

Great going Vasu
Jaco's first and his best album.A true path breaking album. I have the CD but the recording sounds compressed a bit. Hows the vinyl version?
Cheers
himadri

Lee Ritenour - Sugar Loaf Express (this is a JVC direct to disc pressing... so should sound superb!)

Manav
Waiting for your report on this direct to disc. The CD versions of Rit's DTD recordings are of reference standard.
cheers
himadri

Manav
Waiting for your report on this direct to disc. The CD versions of Rit's DTD recordings are of reference standard.
cheers
himadri

HI Himadri, I bought the Lp because the JVC CD version of the same is considered a reference recording! I have not actually not round to this LP yet, as I am still buringing in the Cartridge... but, soon as I do get round to this disc, i'll review it here!

Got some new vinyls:

Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests
Label - Speakers Corner
the-oscar-peterson-trio-we-get-requests-front-cover-33333.jpg

Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
Label - Speakers Corner
albumcoverMilesDavis-MilesSmiles.jpg

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
Label - Speakers Corner
Steely-Dan-Cant-Buy-A-Thrill-146143.jpg

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon (30th. Anniversary Edition)
Label - EMI
Pink-Floyd---Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon-Front-Cover-3119.jpg

Weather Report - Black Market
Label - Music on Vinyl
weather-report-blackmarket.jpg

wow! that's quite a line up!
does the speakers corner recording sound better than the 1st cut (of Steely Dan's Can't Buy a Thrill)?

Got some new vinyls:

Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests
Label - Speakers Corner
the-oscar-peterson-trio-we-get-requests-front-cover-33333.jpg

Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
Label - Speakers Corner
albumcoverMilesDavis-MilesSmiles.jpg

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
Label - Speakers Corner
Steely-Dan-Cant-Buy-A-Thrill-146143.jpg

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon (30th. Anniversary Edition)
Label - EMI
Pink-Floyd---Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon-Front-Cover-3119.jpg

Weather Report - Black Market
Label - Music on Vinyl
weather-report-blackmarket.jpg

Last edited:
Malvai,

I don't have any other copy of Can't Buy A Thrill. I have couple of common tracks on Steely Dan's Greatest Hits Cd. There is no comparo to vinyl and cd sound. Vinyl sounds much better.

Regards

Vasu

Malvai,

I don't have any other copy of Can't Buy A Thrill. I have couple of common tracks on Steely Dan's Greatest Hits Cd. There is no comparo to vinyl and cd sound. Vinyl sounds much better.

Regards

Vasu

I agree vasu, i have all the Steely Dan Cds (the audiophile ones) and the Vinyl's... most of them either first cuts or promo only samples on vinyl... and the vinyl's win - hands down.

now, going a bit deeper - i find the first cuts to be as impressive as the newer releases... if i were to talk specifics, I find my first cut of Aja to be quite as good as the much acclaimed CISCO pressing which came about 2-3 years ago... now we can quibble about some differences here and there, but on th whole BOTH are just as good. So, i've kept both copies...

Since 'can't buy a thrill' is my favourite Dan album, I really want to compare my first cut with the Pure Pleasure pressing... i guess i will get a copy soon!

I will be writing about the recent DSOM release to my original harvest 1st cut and a very esteemed MOFI pressing that i have. Just waiting for the cartridge to burn in a bit more before I get down to it!

Been a while since I posted here! how have all of you been? Personally, I have been working late with very little time for active listening....

Finally, today I got some time for a session!

Up first, Simply Red - Picture Book.... I just love this LP for the music AND the recording. simply awesome!

Then next is a recent acquisition: The Essential Billie Holiday Carnnegie Hall Concert on the Verve label. I found this with a seller on ebay, from Japan. I also got some nice OBI's from him (more about those, later!)... The lady day LP is in mint condition and is a 1st cut, mono! Even the over is NM+++++++++++++++++!

Now every once in a while one finds a LP that taste awesome -- and this one is it! For those who have not heard a good mono recording that can put stereo recordings to shame - - this is it!

and Lady Day sounds fantastic all through!

Billie Holiday - Don't Explain - YouTube

There is something about the original first cut discs from the 60's that modern discs just don't have...

If you wanna experience and understand what I am talking about, just pick up any of the jazz recordings on the Impulse label. Killer stuff!

But if you don't have access to that pick up any of the UK copies of Roger Whittaker. You'll hear it!

So, up first is an old favourite - Roger Whittaker - Durham Town.

This anglo-kenyan folk singer has over 250 gold & platinum discs to his credit!

here's a song that I really like:

Roger Whittaker - Durham Town (1969) - YouTube

Up next is Lee Ritneur's Sugarloaf Express (the JVC direct to disc).

Amazing disc - great music and superb recording. worth every penny spent. Easily one of the reference recording discs in my collection!

Here is a track from it, enjoy!

Lee Ritenour Sugar Loaf Express - YouTube

woke up late this morning... but decided to take it easy... spent time chillin with one of fav albums from the past: Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime... I still consider it one of the best concept album after the who's Quadrphenia & Tommy, and Jethro Tull's Thick as a brick.

Considering that the who albums and the Jethro Tull album is from the 70s, Operation Mindcrime can easily be named as the best Concept Album from the 80s! innt?

Oh how I wish I had their "Empire" on LP as well... but looking out for it and should have it soon!

anyhow... here my fav track from Operation Mindcrime:

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime - YouTube

I agree vasu, i have all the Steely Dan Cds (the audiophile ones) and the Vinyl's... most of them either first cuts or promo only samples on vinyl... and the vinyl's win - hands down.

now, going a bit deeper - i find the first cuts to be as impressive as the newer releases... if i were to talk specifics, I find my first cut of Aja to be quite as good as the much acclaimed CISCO pressing which came about 2-3 years ago... now we can quibble about some differences here and there, but on th whole BOTH are just as good. So, i've kept both copies...

Since 'can't buy a thrill' is my favourite Dan album, I really want to compare my first cut with the Pure Pleasure pressing... i guess i will get a copy soon!

I will be writing about the recent DSOM release to my original harvest 1st cut and a very esteemed MOFI pressing that i have. Just waiting for the cartridge to burn in a bit more before I get down to it!

I have 'aja' lying around will check the pressing

I have 'aja' lying around will check the pressing

I have an Euro pressing and MoFi pressing but MoFi condition is not good so I prefer the European one. Would love to get a direct to disc pressing of this album (is it available?) or the Japanese pressing.

I have an Euro pressing and MoFi pressing but MoFi condition is not good so I prefer the European one. Would love to get a direct to disc pressing of this album (is it available?) or the Japanese pressing.

dude,
IMHO the CISCO pressing in very very good. grab it if it is still available.

@denom: all well bro... just been very hectic at work...

and nah... don't have the above on vinyl... not heard of Shocking Blue until now, but i do have Focus on compact cassette... tucked away in a big trunk that hasn't been opened since '97!

Its kinda late and am in a jazz kinda mood... so I guess gonna Time Out with The Dave Brubeck Quartet!

More later!

My fav tracks from the Time Out album:

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (1961) - YouTube

Blue Rondo A La Turk - Dave Brubeck - YouTube

I also like this version of blue rondo... (and i do have this on Lp too!) :

Al Jarreau - (Round, Round, Round) Blue Rondo A La Turk - YouTube

Been very very busy... though I have been listening to some great stuff...

just to give you guys a highlight of some of the stuff:

1. Led Zep (the entire catalogue), spinng them over and over again! The old pressings sound awesome!

2. Pink Floyd - The Wall

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back