Great Tasting Vinyl

^^
don't be jealous Denom! be resourceful! take a trip to the north! be my guest... have tonnes of metal now! in fact, in some weeks i'll be getting a whole bunch of Judas Priest Vinyls as well!

but, for now, I'm gonna listen to the mellow blues of Fleetwood Mac:

1. Bare Trees
2. Tusk (double disk)
3. Mystery To Me

Today's playlist:

1. Art Farmer & Donald Byrd - Trumpets all out (double LP on Prestige... 1st cut!/ US pressing)... this sounds fabulous!

2. (now playing) The Kenny Burrel Quartet - The Tender Gender (on the Cadet label)... again a great recording from a great performer... he is one of best Jazz guitarists - ever!

Last edited:
^^
don't be jealous Denom! be resourceful! take a trip to the north! be my guest... have tonnes of metal now! in fact, in some weeks i'll be getting a whole bunch of Judas Priest Vinyls as well!

but, for now, I'm gonna listen to the mellow blues of Fleetwood Mac:

1. Bare Trees
2. Tusk (double disk)
3. Mystery To Me

Was just kidding bro :p Yes you are tempting me to make a trip to your place very soon indeed:eek:hyeah: Whoa, Priest on LP will be AWESOME!!!:yahoo:

Spinning an album by the country guitarist - Albert Lee...
The album is called "Hiding". Some really awesome finger picking on the tracks here... And what speed! Who says only the metal guitarist can shred the frets?

Albert's style is as vast as his guitar collection. He actually has 25 guitars of note. Most of which were gifted by their actual owners, like - The Everly Brothers & Eric Clapton!

here is a sample from Hiding (released in 1979)...

Albert Lee - Hiding - YouTube

Oh, btw, you gotta check out his version of Dire Straits' Setting me up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2RVg7nDTZ8

Last edited:
Hi Malvai

Nice stuff. Is Hiding a good lp to start with? Or is there any other album of Albert Lee you would recommend?

Hi Prem,
hiding is a really good album. all his other solo work is just as good. pick up any album that you get. hiding, though, is really, really good!

@Prem: Go for it bro!

last night was spent listening to all my Foreigner albums!

awesome stuff.

Lou Gramm was truly a Juke Box Hero!

Just reached home after a very tiring day... and pulled out one of the recently acquired NOS LP's from the US:

Mike Bloomfiled, AL Kooper and Steve Stills - Super Sessions... I have always had this on tape and then on CD... but this first cut vinyl, on the Columbia label just about beats everything...

Now more about the music... put three brilliant musicians in a room, make the contracts disappear, get them to jam, and switch on the recording button!

what do you get?
Magic! in the form of a super dooper session!

check out their magical verison of Donovon's already brilliant 'season of the witch':

Season of the Witch - Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Steve Stills - YouTube

Just got my copies of the newly re-mastered vinyls of The Band (self titled) & Music From Big Pink... these are the 180G versions on Capitole and are the real deal!

I am listening to "music from big pink" and it clearly is superior to the old pressing that I have. very happy with the purchase!

i bought these from Flipkart for under Rs 1100 (each) shipped! The same would have costed me twice as much (or maybe more!) had i tried buying them from elusivedisc or any other international store... my weekend is made!

Been I long while since I wrote here... been extremely busy, with virtually no time for music.... except for maybe an hour in the morning...

But here it is... woke up really early and cranked it up - all 6 sides of Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage!

But here it is... woke up really early and cranked it up - all 6 sides of Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage!

Are these records during Steve Vai's days with Zappa?

A bit OT: try getting Alcatrazz's albums with Steve Vai on six string duty and Graham Bonnet doing vocal duties (like "Wire and Wood") where Vai's unique, sometimes ethereal, and always flamboyant style was already in ample display (circa early 80s). Just don't hear his quavering vocal attempts:lol: like the Aussie-themed "Light of The Moon". He sounds like an octogenarian Chet Atkins dueting with Knopfler.

A couple more recommendations:
1. Six String Theory - Lee Ritenour - excellent collaborations
2. Diane Schuur - Music Is My Life. I don't know why no one talks about her but as far as I concerned she's the mom of Ms Barber or Ms Krall.
Joshua

Are these records during Steve Vai's days with Zappa?

A bit OT: try getting Alcatrazz's albums with Steve Vai on six string duty and Graham Bonnet doing vocal duties (like "Wire and Wood") where Vai's unique, sometimes ethereal, and always flamboyant style was already in ample display (circa early 80s). Just don't hear his quavering vocal attempts:lol: like the Aussie-themed "Light of The Moon". He sounds like an octogenarian Chet Atkins dueting with Knopfler.

A couple more recommendations:
1. Six String Theory - Lee Ritenour - excellent collaborations
2. Diane Schuur - Music Is My Life. I don't know why no one talks about her but as far as I concerned she's the mom of Ms Barber or Ms Krall.
Joshua

Josh, this one predates steve vai!

and all good suggestions from you! will look out for all of them... am dying to hear Diane Schurr on vinyl... she is really something else, ain't she?

Got to listen to music for hours at a stretch after a loooong, loooong time!

heard a lot of CCR and then finally an album by ERIC GALE - Ginseng Woman...

Eric Gale was a jazz guitarist par excellence! he died very young - at age 55 (of lung cancer) but during the time he was around he was considered a sessions musician of note. he played in over 500 albums for artists like paul simon, van morrison, dave grusin, aretha franklin and many many more!

this particular album has a lot of great guitar work... do check it out:

Eric Gale - Ginseng Woman (1977) - YouTube

the last week has been a totally immersive experience with one particular vinyl recording that I bought off Jchen Semler of The Listening Room, Banaglore...

The vinyl is called: "goodbye porkpie hat - Dieter Ilg & Charlie Mariano" on Somlier Du Son records of Germany.

Its a great recording both from the perspective of the music and also the recording... there is superb realism.

I have been listening to this Vinyl and it is absolutely the best Jazz recording that I have bought this year!

This is an absolute must have for any one (even lightly) into Jazz!

Try This

Charlie Mariano & The Karnataka College Of Percussion - Jyothi

Charlie Mariano soprano saxophone, flute
R. A. Ramamani vocals, tamboura
T. A. S. Mani mridangam
R. A. Rajagopal hatam,morsing,konakkol
T. N. Shashikumar kanjira, konakkol

Its available on Vinyl ... ECM Label

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back