Great Tasting Vinyl

@ Manav,

Spin some metallica dude!!!

Start off with 'Seek & Destroy' :D

@ajay: thanks bro! will look out for the record!

meanwhile folks, another record from the label Sommelier Du Son, has been spinning ova and ova again - Paul Kuhn Trio- live in birdland...

a beautifully recorded LP with immense amounts of atmosphere... the composition are just heavenly... and fun! you'll even find your feet tapping on a few tracks!

Paul Kuhn is an old hand- a pianist par excellence... this one is highly recommended as well!

both my Sommelier Du Son Lp's are definitely a part of my reference recodings list!

Last edited:
opening up my collection of Genesis records... playing Duke, their tenth, and if memory serves me right, their last 'concept' album... good stuff! I have the original release and it sounds quite good!

here's my favourite track from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCeEGNbM-U&ob=av2n

up next will be another Genesis album- their seventh actually: A Trick of the Tail... this was the album which saw Phil Collins taking on the mantle of full time vocalist for the band... following the departure of the immensely talented Peter Gabriel.

here is my fav track from this album (heavy drumming ala Led Zep!) enjoy!

Genesis - Squonk - YouTube

@Manav,
Eventully I today ordered used LP 'Tug of war' by Paul McCartney along with the following:

- David Bowie Lets Dance
. Nat King cole unforgettable
- David bowie To Night
. Sherley Bassey never never
. Ferrante and teicher
- The ventures More Golden greats

All the records are Indian pressing. Don't know how will be the qualities.

@Manav,
Eventully I today ordered used LP 'Tug of war' by Paul McCartney along with the following:

- David Bowie Lets Dance
. Nat King cole unforgettable
- David bowie To Night
. Sherley Bassey never never
. Ferrante and teicher
- The ventures More Golden greats

All the records are Indian pressing. Don't know how will be the qualities.

I had the Indian pressing of Nat King Cole - Unforgettable and David Bowie's Let's dance , as well as both these in a USA pressing.

I have kept the Us pressings, even though I found no difference in SQ between the Indian and USA pressing...

on some LP's it shows up and the foreign pressings usually win!

but in most cases i hear no difference. as even the indian pressings weren't mastered/re-mastered here in India. they were simply 're-pressed'.

however as a thumb-rule avoid ANY Polydor / Music India pressing from India. they are usually terrible.

Btw, I also managed a huge haul this week...

From Flipkart I got some much needed LP's that I have had my eye on for a bit...

1. Junior Wells' Chicago Blues Band with Buddy Guy - Hoodoo Man Blues (On the Delmark label) - a classic album and a must have for all fans of blues...
2. Magic Sam Blues Band - West Side Soul (on Delmark) - another totally must have recording...
3. The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall ( the 180gm RTI remaster) - a country rock band...
4. The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass (the 180gm RTI remaster)
5. Mad River (on Sundazed, a reissue) - this is a pshychedelic band from the 1960s... a must have item!
will review the above as soon as i soak my sould into 'em!

then picked up a lot of pre-owned Lp's from here and there, this last week!
1. (reviewed yesterday) Paul McCartney - Tug of War
2. Otis Redding - Otis Redding Sings Soul
3. Luther Vandross - Any Love
4. David Crosby - If I could Only Remember My Name
5. Neil Diamond - Gold (recorded Live at The Troubador)
6. Dr. Feelgood - Malpractice
7. Oldies But Goldies (various)
8. Nat King Cole - Greatest Love Songs
9. Frank Sinatra - Sinatra: the Main Event LIVE (live from the Madison Square Garden, New York City, October 13, 1974
10. T. Rex - Bolan Boogie
11. Ray Charles - Greatest Hits
12. Jeff Beck & Yardbirds
13. Kaoma Worldbeat (has the famous track from the past - Lambada!)
14. Kool & The Gang - Fresh (single / 45 RPM)
15. EMI Demostration Test Record (from the 60s!)
16. Thelonious Monk - Criss Cross
17. New Orleans Days (double disk, french pressing, a interesting compilation of some very rare/ hard to find early jazz!)
18. Wynton Marsalis Carnival - Eastman Wind Ensemble/ Donald Hunsberger, Dir

And now for some tiles that I know, will interest our buddy Ajay!

19. Cantate Domino (on the Proprious lable, an extremely hard to find record until ATR records re-issued the audiophile remaster... this is a record recorded by a lesser known swedish church choir and is supposed to be very beautiful!)
20. Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbert Von Karajan - Peter Tschaikovsky Symphonie Nr. 5 E-Moll Op. 64 (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
21. Svjatoslav Richter: Rachmaninoff - Klavierkonzert Nr. 2 in C-moll/Piano-Concerto No. 2 in C minor 6 preludes (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
22. Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbert Von Karajan - Debussy: La Mer/ Prelude A L'Apres-Midi D'Un Faune / Ravel: Daphnis Et Chloe, Suite No 2 (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
23. Berliner Philharmoniker/Dirigent: George Szell - Dvorak Concert for Violoncello Pierre Fournier, Violoncello (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
24. Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbert Von Karajan - Peter Tschaikovsky Symphonie Nr. 6 H-Moll >Pathetique< (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
25. Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbert Von Karajan - Ludwig Van Beethoven Symphonie No. 5 C-moll Op 67 + Symphonie No. 9 D-Moll Op. 125 (on Deutsche Grammophon, this one is a double disc box set... the box is not great in condition, but the LPs and the booklet inside are like new! )
26. Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra/ Zubin Mehta - Ravel Daphnis & Chloe 2nd suite (On the London Ffrr label)
27. Beethoven Concerto No. 5 / Rubinstein Krips symphony of the air

so the next couple of weeks will be quite interesting for me (if I get time to listen to music, i.e...!)

Congrats Manav,

you've been a busy bunny collecting but more LP's as usual :D

Pity you are so far away from me, else would have loved to swing by at your place to enjoy the truckload of LP's of yours :licklips: on your deadly rig :) on an almost daily basis:p

Congrats Manav, Next Sunday I may visit your place to listen to your rig and enjoy truckload of vinyls.
Also, I would like to discuss on my selection of TT. It is our privilege to get you around.
Regards

And now for some tiles that I know, will interest our buddy Ajay!

19. Cantate Domino (on the Proprious lable, an extremely hard to find record until ATR records re-issued the audiophile remaster... this is a record recorded by a lesser known swedish church choir and is supposed to be very beautiful!)
20. Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbert Von Karajan - Peter Tschaikovsky Symphonie Nr. 5 E-Moll Op. 64 (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
21. Svjatoslav Richter: Rachmaninoff - Klavierkonzert Nr. 2 in C-moll/Piano-Concerto No. 2 in C minor 6 preludes (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
22. Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbert Von Karajan - Debussy: La Mer/ Prelude A L'Apres-Midi D'Un Faune / Ravel: Daphnis Et Chloe, Suite No 2 (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
23. Berliner Philharmoniker/Dirigent: George Szell - Dvorak Concert for Violoncello Pierre Fournier, Violoncello (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
24. Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbert Von Karajan - Peter Tschaikovsky Symphonie Nr. 6 H-Moll >Pathetique< (on Deutsche Grammophon Gesselschaft)
25. Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbert Von Karajan - Ludwig Van Beethoven Symphonie No. 5 C-moll Op 67 + Symphonie No. 9 D-Moll Op. 125 (on Deutsche Grammophon, this one is a double disc box set... the box is not great in condition, but the LPs and the booklet inside are like new! )
26. Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra/ Zubin Mehta - Ravel Daphnis & Chloe 2nd suite (On the London Ffrr label)
27. Beethoven Concerto No. 5 / Rubinstein Krips symphony of the air

Manav

Your initial sortie has yielded great results. Apart from no.19 all the recordings you bought feature major conductors and musicians. Not a single dud among them! I hope you develop an affection for western classical music and gradually your rock vinyls start inching to the rear of the shelf and the classical vinyls to the front :)

The Herbert Von Karajan/Berliner Philharmoniker combo is the big daddy of western classical music for the years 1960-1990. You will keep coming across it again and again! Karajan has been marketed so strongly by DG that without noticing it, I wound up with almost 25% of my classical music being from this combo. Subsequently I have sold off 95% of the Karajan recordings I had. I still admire his early 60's recordings of Beethoven's symphonies ( I sold those too, although I have them on DVD) but otherwise I have said goodbye to the maestro!

Most of the original vinyl recordings you find are going to be from the period 1950-1980. For orchestral music you should try to build a diverse collection with recordings by some extraordinary conductors who were active in these years: Otto Klemperer, Jascha Horenstein, Bruno Walter, Wilhelm Furtwangler, John Barbirolli, Claudio Abbado, Pierre Boulez, Bernard Haitink, Carlos Kleiber, Karl Bohm, Leonard Bernstein, Georg Solti, George Szell, Eugene Ormandy etc.

Among violinists look for David Oistrakh, Jascha Heifetz, Yehudi Menuhin, Isaac Stern, Pinchas Zuckerman, Itzhak Perlman etc.

Among pianists look for Sviatoslav Richter, Emil Gilels, Vladimir Horowitz, Murray Perahia, Maurizio Pollini, Arthur Rubinstein, Martha Argerich, Mitsuko Uchida, Vladimir Ashkenazy, Freidrich Gulda, Dinu Lipatti, Arturo Benedetti Michalangeli, Daniel Barenboim, Alfred Brendel etc.

Last edited:
Congrats Manav, Next Sunday I may visit your place to listen to your rig and enjoy truckload of vinyls.

you're most welcome to come Amit ji... it'll be great!

Manav

Your initial sortie has yielded great results. Apart from no.19 all the recordings you bought feature major conductors and musicians. Not a single dud among them! I hope you develop an affection for western classical music and gradually your rock vinyls start inching to the rear of the shelf and the classical vinyls to the front :)

Thanks for the reassurance Ajay... as of now my experience and knowledge about western classical is very limited... and with vinyl shelf space at a premimum, I'm glad I didn't get ANY duds!

My wife incidentally recieved my re-tipped reference cartridge today... so, finally after 8 months, i will enjoy my gear in its full glory! tomorrow, that is!

Got my reference cartridge on saturday... so in a hurry took off the standby cart... on putting the ref cart (clearaudio concerto), I decided to align and and set the correct tracking weight... only to find my digital gauge is not working!!!

so, i've ordered a new one off ebay... now in a situation where I have boat load of vinly to listen to, but can't!!!

i hope i get the gadget soon! (unless of course one of you has a stylus gauge to lend for a day or so...)

Finally my new digital tracking force has arrived! and i can now align my tonearm/cart!

the post also got me a few more LP's!

From Flipkart:
1. Portishead - Dummy 180G pressing... I have always like this album and the CD always sounded good to me... let's see how it sounds on Vinyl.... (will really give me a reason to love it???)

these others are from someone's provate collection in the US and bought off Audiogon:

2. Lee Ritenour - Sugar Loaf Express (this is a JVC direct to disc pressing... so should sound superb!)

3. Taj Mahal - And the International Rhythm Band Live & Direct ( This is againa rare Direct to Disc Vinyl on the Crystal Clear Records label!)

4. James Blood - Tales of Captain Blood ( a rare LP, that is loved by Jazz / Blues collectors! Used to have it on Compact Cassette and truly love this album.. Own it vinyl finally!)

will report on how good these sound once I listen to them! so stay tuned!

Last edited:
Malvai,

What happened to the force gauge? That's a reputable one. Though lots of guys say its the same gauge going around rebranded by different manufacturers like Acoustech, Project, Audio Additives etc...

Am sure with the Concerto in, your listening is gonna be something else now! :)

Regards

Jaco Pastorius
Jaco-Pastorius-Jaco-Pastorius-1976-Front-Cover-32846.jpg

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink+Floyd+-+Wish+You+Were+Here.jpg

Malvai,

What happened to the force gauge? That's a reputable one. Though lots of guys say its the same gauge going around rebranded by different manufacturers like Acoustech, Project, Audio Additives etc...

Am sure with the Concerto in, your listening is gonna be something else now! :)

Regards

Steve, the Acoustech gauge is basically a pretty flimsy thing... it just stopped showing any kind of measurement... unless of course i put pressure with my finger...
so, in its place, i ordered a 'no name' gauge that is both smaller and sleeker, as well as rugged (the pressure plate build is way better and it can measure upto a 100 gms).

Nice albums. Portishead will force you to buy a nice sub to go with your B&W's... ;)

dude, my speakers go down to 18hz and if i get a B&W Bass Alignment Filter, then they'd go down to 15hz! so, i guess i am pretty much covered on the Low end! what say?

Jaco Pastorius
Jaco-Pastorius-Jaco-Pastorius-1976-Front-Cover-32846.jpg

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink+Floyd+-+Wish+You+Were+Here.jpg

Myriad: That Jaco album is killer! did you buy it new? where from?
and is that the new release of wish you were here???

;) no harm done bro!
but yeah you're right, Portishead albums deserve the best LF response we can give!

will be playing this album as soon as my Cart burns in a bit more! that's when i'll be able to make a fair assessment between the two formats I have this album on!

on the whole I already know that the Vinyl will win hands down... as that is how it turns out 99 out of 100 times.

Oh crap! I somehow read it as 803! My bad!

malvai,

I bought Jaco Pastorius from one of Amazon.com's vendor. Vendor's price was much cheaper than Amazon.com. The delivery was prompt with nice packing.

Wish You Were Here is a latest pressing. Bought from Amazon UK.

Regards

Vasu

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back