Group order for Vinyl of best of AR Rehman

45 rpm vinyl will have fewer songs. So again the value factor comes in.

Vinyl will always be niche. Even on a forum as big as ours, not more than 150 people ordered the Rahman lp.

Many members on this forum who have very good equipment do not own a turntable. So where will the sales come from?

I too personally did not like the design of the jacket but to me that's not a deal breaker. There's no way I am going to buy a vinyl just because the jacket cover looks good or the vinyl throws up a hologram when spinning.

While some didn't like the design of the Rahman jacket, there are some who liked the design of the jacket. Design is very subjective.

Last edited:
Hiten, I genuinely think you should remove that link with the Rahman tracks. It's illegal and could get the forum into trouble

Somewhat I agree with you. I posted in earlier post about minor improvements with jackets and all. A normal 3 CD Rahman Compilation sells for about 140 Rupees. Where as Vinyl album sells for 1500 If we can not give something unique it will not be good for future. For example Jack White's Lazaretto album had hologram and couple of unique features. like hidden track and stuff like that. It sells for about 20 dollars.
Jackwhite Lazaretto.
I understand for Indian companies with taxes and import duties and very low customer base things are little difficult. But I have a feeling if given unique product people will buy. Otherwise it will just be a fad. My personal opinion is for Rahman type of music 45 rpm wider groove vinyl will have good sound.
Regards.

Please remove the download links immediately. This is a violation of forum rules.

hitenbhai

what is being proved here ??

Record conceived - supported - ordered - received - listen & enjoy ( if not enjoy - then sell ) - wait for next group buy or Exit the groupbuy..

simple algorithm :)

regards

I have heard the LP and believe me it sounds fabulous. It beats the CD quality easily plus as Prem said it does have a connect with the listner. After all we listen to music and get involved in all the emotions which the music portrays and in this case the CD quality is defenately down.

My listening is 90% on Vinyl these days. I do have a digital equipment (Bifrost DAC and Marantz Transport, etc) but the emotional feel and connect which LP has is something which cannot be put in written words, it has to be experienced.

I believe that most of the members on this thread have received their LPs and must have listened to it.

Though we all know that the outcome totally depends on the mastering of original recording and in this case it has been recorded and originally processed for CD releases. We all know that at this stage the quality will not supersed Analog recording quality, as the demand for vinyl LP grows in India music companies will realise the importance of recording the music as per vinyl format requirements and will definitely do so.

Till then comparing the vinyl LP with CD doesn't seem fair.

Ok friends. This is/was not about digital vs analogue. As I said earlier giving feedback which I think may not be possible to implement. Me also enjoying Khamosh song. Most of my listening is on vinyl too. :)
Best regards.

Received the vinyl a day before. Good packaging. Not yet played.

Many thanks and congratulations are due to all the HFV members who conceived the idea and executed this project. Of course, efforts of Sony DADC India are gratefully acknowledged.

Regards.

I too personally did not like the design of the jacket but to me that's not a deal breaker. There's no way I am going to buy a vinyl just because the jacket cover looks good or the vinyl throws up a hologram when spinning. .
Out of genuine concern for whoever designed the album art. I have already posted when the 'first look' was posted here few weeks back that I am OK with any cover.
It is not a deal breaker for me too. as for hologram I was thinking from the perspective of music companies that such (for lack of better word) gimmick are helpful to bring in new buyers.
Anyway the posts are deleted. I am happy and hope am not boring anyone.:lol: I hope what I posted is/was seen as genuine effort to discuss a product. Now my batteries are drained :p so I will drop the idea of going to friends place.
Regards.

Since links posts is deleted I think post #643 has no meaning, since it also doesn't have any links. Feel free to do whatever mods approve.

Since links posts is deleted I think post #643 has no meaning, since it also doesn't have any links. Feel free to do whatever mods approve.

Hiten, since members have option for editing/ deleting posts within a given time frame, I request you to exercise that option rather than posting multiple times within a short duration.

Captain, I did tried for my post but it was already late. Post 643 I can not delete as it is by anilva. Anyway no problem. Thanks for replying captain.
Regards.

Cover art :
Record player and microphone are visually dominating. Since the common ground is Rahman's Music one can add pic of him on console or singing or composing picture as it would be more relevant. Rahman in Recording studio would be nice. The Fonts can be more elegant. Title "The Chosen one" is prominent than Rahman Name. It could be vice versa. Just a suggestion. I am OK with any artwork.
Regards.

I also felt the same. Also the cover is not up to mark and could be better. It is smaller in size about 5mm compare to International album covers and no spine to print any information. One of the reason we are buying physical media is for its album art and our expectations are also high when buying vinyl.

Overall the LP is not up to the bench mark but good only.

Actually if talk about earlier pressed vinyl covers (70-90's), every company had their own album cover size. T-Series was smaller than EMI, and Tips/Venus were very small (around 10-12mm) the EMI ones. But still, considering whatever technology had that time, they produced good album artwork.
Remember, Sholay Platinum Disc Edition (3 LP) which was printed by using Pantone Silver color with embossed SHOLAY logo.
Kranti was Gatefold with some additional thin artwork pages. Satyam Shivam Sundram had additional Jacket Cover with window cutting.

Nowadays companies are not that desperate to produce something unique, may be due to lack of original high resolution photos or just to save time and money on cover.
Instead of just bumping the CD artwork, Sony Music should had done something unique with Lagaan. Could have been Gatefold, additional pages (thin) about info and some images, Embossed Lagaan logo. If companies are willing to charge 1299/-, 1499/- or 1999/- then should give something deserving in return. Saregama tried to do something different by doing UV coating on Hum Aapke Hain Koun...! LP covers, and you know what? That time price was 699/- :lol: And now they have almost doubled the price for nothing BUT just because of increased demand.

Some sellers and people say (I have heard this statement) "Cover Thodi Sunna Hai, Gaane To Record Ne Sunane Hain, Record Theek Hona Chahiye Bas!"

May be it all happened just because we (many of us) never praised or bothered for decent artworks. And it is not with Vinyl LP only, same things is happening with Blu-ray too. There is a huge difference in Indian and International covers/cases/steelbooks. Some examples are Interstellar, Gravity, Stanley Kubrik Set etc. Even we get censored content on expensive format.

(By the way, I am done with ARR Cover Artwork. Not sure if it's right thread to post)

In India today, all cd and poster artworks come from the film producer. The music company does not have access to anything. If you recollect, cd artworks for films like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and many others were very nice with special booklets inside. Rab De Bana Di had a 3D cd cover

Today when the music companies press vinyl, they have no access to the artworks to redesign them for a vinyl jacket. So many times they end up just using the cd artworks and blowing it up as a result of which the vinyl jacket is not upto the mark

Agree with Prem. Times have changed. We are talking about glory days of vinyl. Though modern printing is superb. let hope for some good covers in future.

Prepress,
if you want you can share album covers of your liking in the thread started by me six years a go (Time flies)
http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/15341-share-your-favorite-album-cover-art.html
I had a feeling the web image link will not work so most of the albums covers I like had title and small description. Do go through it. Some nice contribution by dear members too. I guess you are in print related profession :eek:hyeah:
Pardon for offtopic. :eek:
Regards.

But Producer just provide the images, content to use. Music Rights owner company prepare the design and track listing to press the CD.
e.g. Sony Music owned the music rights of KKHH. When they had to release the LP, they would have that CD artwork (may be it was not just bumped the CD scan).

RNBDJ, YRF own Music rights and Manufacturing Unit as well. They manufacture in their own YRF Studios and play whatever they want to do with. Sometimes Music/Video Rights owner give it as a job to third party (say MoserBaer) they do each and everything (for Rights owner). If any company is doing any job for any client, (mostly) companies keep the files/artwork in their archive (for future re-prints).

That's different thing, companies didn't bother that time (as usual) to keep that stuff as archive.

Same thing happening with Indian movies, no one bothered to keep B/W movies in safe location and never bothering to restore heritage.

No Prepress, the final artworks would come from the producer. The images would not be shared with the music company. The company that did the print design for the film would also do all music related work design. At no point would images be shared and the music company allowed to design on their own. In the case of YRF it's different because they did all their designs inhouse. No other production house has a inhouse design team. It's always given to outside guys

BTW YRF does not have its own manufacturing it. Their CDs were either manufactured by Moserbaer or by SONY DADC

Last edited:
Then who print on CD? Print company provided printed CDs to pressing unit?

YRF CDs says Manufactured and Marketed by YRF.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back