Has any one auditioned Jamo D 590 recently?

@John, Iam not sure if I made myself clear earlier..
Get the Jamo D590 only if they give 40-50% discount and if it fits your room.
Else dump it.

Yes Sir, I exactly got what you said. Even my current iQ7, I got it at a hefty 45% discount in 2009 for a sealed brand new piece when iQ70 was doing the rounds and iQ7 was already discontinued by then.

Oh ok :)

Well, I am not a big fan of sharp highs. By detail I meant clear vocals, good separation of instruments but not sharp. The marantz - Jamo combo was towards brighter side, but I liked the sound. But I think I might get a listening fatigue with that system if I hear it for couple of hours. The vocals were clear too. The bass was the best I heard so far in a stereo setup.

May I ask you which new age speaker can deliver similar bass as Jamo D590 with similar price range?

If you find Marantz + Jamo sharp and IQ7 not so sharp, there should be a problem in the jamo setup. :)

Audition B&W 683 + Rotel combo. Best bet for you. It should be slightly more than 1.5L.

iQ7 is paired with my Denon AVR 2310. It is sharp too. That's one of the reason I am in look out for a warmer dedicated stereo setup.

Blasto,

Any reason you are not recommending Dali Ikon? In your reviews you seem to like Dali better than B&W. Is Dali more brighter sounding speaker? I am any way going to audition Dali with Marantz this weekend.

This is my list for the weekend

1. B&W with Rotel (hope I can get an audition for 683).
2. Dali with Marantz.
3. MA with Cambridge Audio.
4. MS with Cambridge Audio.
5. NAD with Usher (I didn't find any dealer having NAD and other speaker combo in Bangalore yet).

-John.

Blasto,

Any reason you are not recommending Dali Ikon? In your reviews you seem to like Dali better than B&W. Is Dali more brighter sounding speaker? I am any way going to audition Dali with Marantz this weekend.

2. Dali with Marantz.
5. NAD with Usher (I didn't find any dealer having NAD and other speaker combo in Bangalore yet).

-John.

Dali with Roetel was sharp. You won't like it from what I gather. Midrange was awesome though.
Not sure of Marantz + Dali. Try with NAD also.

If you are going for B&W, avoid 684 and go directly to 683. I heard roetel + B&W 603S3 combo and it is much better than 684.

MA is also bright.

Oh ok :)

Well, I am not a big fan of sharp highs. By detail I meant clear vocals, good separation of instruments but not sharp. The marantz - Jamo combo was towards brighter side, but I liked the sound. But I think I might get a listening fatigue with that system if I hear it for couple of hours. The vocals were clear too. The bass was the best I heard so far in a stereo setup.

May I ask you which new age speaker can deliver similar bass as Jamo D590 with similar price range?

Dear John, buy a pair of Jamo C-807, that will be your final solution. Bcoz I'd used Jamo D-590 and C-807, new concert series C-807 far far better than the previous concert series D-590.

Blasto,

2. Dali with Marantz.

-John.

1. Indian prices very high... VFM low
2. Good Combo... I auditioned mine with Marantz first, but found them to be better with Arcam. Dali can be very neutral, accurate and revealing but not bright (there is a difference). A bad recording is punished by them. A good recording, really rewarded. They need good quality amplification and source to really shine. With NAD it is a fairly neutral combination but, I too feel the NAD amplification in the lower budget range has shade less resolution, hence will not be a precisely detailed system. Arcam on the other hand was warm as well as detailed. My current Exposure 3010 + Dali Ikon 6 combination is very very accurate, revealing & neutral.
3. MA with CA? Can't comment, no experience with MA. But, from all that I have read. Bright!
4. MS with CA is excellent. I had the home demo of 840A and Mezzo 6. Very nice, smooth, detailed sound. Not warm but on the warm side of neutral. Mezzo 6 with NAD was also a good combo albeit a little too warm. If I had not found a great deal on Dali Ikon 6, I would have bought the Mezzo 6. One of the best speakers in this range.
5. NAD with Usher - can't comment!

If I have 1.5L budget.... I would choose:

Amplifiers - Exposure 2010 S2, Creek 5350, Arcam A 18
Speakers - Pro Ac Studio 115 (Bookshelf), Epos Epic 5, Dali Ikon 6, Focal Chorus 726V

You can also choose the entire system from Lyrita Audio (Tube Amp + TL Speakers)

Last edited:
1. Indian prices very high... VFM low

Yes. Unfortunately.

Almost forgot..
You should audition the Quad 22L2 since you are in Bangalore.

Quad 22L2

These are said to be sounding warm with detailed and expressive midrange. Seriously consider this.

But, I did not have a chance to demo them since no one in Hyderabad have those. (Believe me, I tried)
No showroom also. I have no idea on matching amps also.

Yes. Unfortunately.

Almost forgot..
You should audition the Quad 22L2 since you are in Bangalore.

Quad 22L2

These are said to be sounding warm with detailed and expressive midrange. Seriously consider this.

But, I did not have a chance to demo them since no one in Hyderabad have those. (Believe me, I tried)
No showroom also. I have no idea on matching amps also.

How about trying Quad 22L2 with Quad Elite Integrated Amplifier? Both are available in HifiMart for a decent discount.

Thanks,
John.

Dear John, buy a pair of Jamo C-807, that will be your final solution. Bcoz I'd used Jamo D-590 and C-807, new concert series C-807 far far better than the previous concert series D-590.

Which Amp do you think Jamo C-807 pair with to produce a warm & smooth sound? And what is the approximate price range for them?

On a slightly OT, VP of engineering of my company is an audiophile. He is in US and he makes tube amps by himself. He just asked me to look at the following speakers

Zu Audio | A Revolution in American HiFi

Look at the specs man (power needs and sensitivity :) )

He said he can build me a tube amp to go with the above speaker for $2000 :( and said he can look for a used pair of the above speakers for $3000 / pair. Shipping charges extra! So its around $5500 deal!

BTW, my boss in Bangalore is getting the same setup in another 3-4 months. I will audition it and let you know how the beast sounds.

-John,

Got the Quad Audition setup for this Saturday at total sound at J P Nagar.

They have Quad 22L2 with QUAD ELITE INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER :)

Zu is available locally via a distributor in Delhi btw. However its not my cup of tea.

How come, in theory their speaker should be quite something.

Do you know the dealer name?

On a slightly OT, VP of engineering of my company is an audiophile. He is in US and he makes tube amps by himself. He just asked me to look at the following speakers

Zu Audio | A Revolution in American HiFi

Look at the specs man (power needs and sensitivity :) )

He said he can build me a tube amp to go with the above speaker for $2000 :( and said he can look for a used pair of the above speakers for $3000 / pair. Shipping charges extra! So its around $5500 deal!

BTW, my boss in Bangalore is getting the same setup in another 3-4 months. I will audition it and let you know how the beast sounds.

-John,

I actually recommend ZU however you can get ZU in india from what I know.

Also you dont need a $2000 amp for zu, it's sensitivity will allow almost any amp starting from the 4000Rs topping amp to drive them easily.

I strongly reccomend the ZU Essence bookshelf. A Zu bookshelf and amp should easily come within a 1-1.25 lakhs IMO. And these would be full range 10 inch drivers of ZU's highest line called the essence, not the omen.

Which Amp do you think Jamo C-807 pair with to produce a warm & smooth sound? And what is the approximate price range for them?

I think you're forgetting the reason why you're going after a new setup. The reason is music.
As you already have the iq7 floorstander my suggestion is get a low model high end bookshelf speaker instead of a top model medium end floorstander.

Bookshelf speakers have 1 tweeter and 1 woofer. This is beneficial for music as the crossovers are less complex. A high end floorstander needs very careful pairing of amplifier, a high end bookshelf is not AS heavily dependant.

Understand bass =/= music. You're looking for tonality reproduction. Good high end floor standers are double the price of their bookshelf counterparts.

You'll be surprised how punchy bookhelf bass can be.

Bookshelves like

HELICON 300 MK2

Quad 12L2 Bookshelf Speakers

Wharfedale Jade 3 Speakers

Jamo : Bookshelf Speakers : C 803

GS10 | Gold GS | Monitor Audio

Essence Bookshelf Loudspeaker | Zu Audio

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/products/loudspeakers/dancer-series/Be-718

Last edited:
Would these book shelves can fill a room of 24x16 with good bass? Also I like to listen to my music loud and don't want a listening fatigue to happen for long hours of listening. Also my Dad listen to music in low volume and I want the same speaker to sound well in low volumes as well.

Thanks,
John.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back