Having fun with Woodworking -:)

I have bought the Irwin clamps from the amazon since I couldn't find it locally.
I am in search of some bar clamps and spring clamps. Please let me know if you finds it locally. Otherwise have to buy from amazon. Its costly but if I look at the quality, i don't mind spending some extra.

Thanks. The bar clamps like the one's you've mentioned I've seen on ebay too. I had a good mind to import them but thought I'd check for cheaper options.

42" Bar Clamps 6 NEW HUGE Woodworking F Wood Wholesale (0794685126109) | eBay

I was looking something similar to the one's below. The one hand bar clamp.

Bar Clamps at JustClamps.com

I probably missed something but could you give some details on the Aziz store? Thanks

Aziz's is a shop in Bangalore (KR Market area). The two links you sent look very similar. Is this similar to what you were looking for (this is a Kennedy bar clamp from Aziz's catalog)?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you need any help contacting Aziz's, let me know. I visit them almost every month and should be able to make queries in person too.

Last edited:
Hi,

Appreciate if you can help me with directions to Aziz's place. I would like to pick up some of those clamps as well as a router...appreciate suggestions on the router. I have been using a jigsaw and circular saw for straight cuts sometimes extending the jig for the driver circles also !!

Come March and I will be starting on my speaker projects and need to assemble all the stuff required by then...

TIA

For those in B'lore looking work some 'hard'ware Goodwill Enterprises on SP Road also is an option. Also the Bosch showroom on the main road opp the park is good for Dremel / routers - in general for Bosch stuff. I found the staff helpful in both places.

Hi,

Appreciate if you can help me with directions to Aziz's place. I would like to pick up some of those clamps as well as a router...appreciate suggestions on the router. I have been using a jigsaw and circular saw for straight cuts sometimes extending the jig for the driver circles also !!

Come March and I will be starting on my speaker projects and need to assemble all the stuff required by then...

TIA

contact for azez

..:: Azeez Trading Company ::..

for bosch products check "Sabeel Enterprises" on SJP Road. (opposite to the park). they will give 25% discount on bosch products. most others will give max 20%

Hi,

TIA

The showroom address is:

No 82 & 85, N R Road
Bangalore, 560002
Ph: 080 41600651/ 080 41600652

It is on the left side if you are going from the town hall to the market bus stand/mosque. It is unlikely that he will have these clamps in stock. You might have to order it. The bar clamp is on page 399 of their catalog.

The router we bought was:

Power Tools - Woodworking - Routers - 1200W 1/4" Router + 11 Accs - BLACK & DECKER

It was the only router available under 10k (IIRC, it cost 4.5k). It does the job, but we haven't tried anything very complex with it so far. Not made a speaker yet, but I see no reason why it can't make driver circles.

If you need more precise info you can PM or call me.

Last edited:
I have the Tuba HT plan ready to go. I will be posting the progress. Now going through the Tuba plan document. Also have to decide between Table Tuba and Tuba HT.

wow tuba will be a Bass-warm blanket,i just admired the Horn subwoofers placed at Styx pub here..........:)

Aziz's is a shop in Bangalore (KR Market area). The two links you sent look very similar. Is this similar to what you were looking for (this is a Kennedy bar clamp from Aziz's catalog)?

Yes those Kennedy quick grip clamps were what I was looking for. But the throat depth in the catalogue shows 85mm. That's way too little. I probably got something wrong. I was looking for one with atleast 18" depth. Thanks for the info and that's great news.

These are listed on amazon (irwin brand) for something like $15-20 a piece. If available here for that price its kinda ok. But along with shipping (& customs), the price may be quite high.
Thanks

Awesome. Apartment dwellers like me can only look with envy :)

Anyway, a friend of mine and I also started our own home workshop. Since he lives on the ground floor, all the power tools are in his place. I live on the 12th floor so painting/finishing is all I can do :)

I will make a better report after we complete a few projects, but you can get a glimpse of things at

Wood Musings

My friend updates it once in a while.

The first real products of our carpentry shop: A pair of speaker stands made of leftover wood. The height is a little short for the Quad 11L2s but it was deliberate since I want to upgrade to bigger bookshelves in future. For now, I have placed the speakers on top of Auralex Speakerdude foam pads which also give it a 4 degree upward tilt.

The final coat of the five layer finish is acrylic automotive paint. I would have preferred polyurethane but we didn't have the place and equipment for spray painting.

I avoided staining the wood because I wanted it to look as if it has been made of scrap material. Unfortunately, the few people who have seen it don't seem to notice it. I take that as a compliment :)

P1000200.jpg

P1000182.jpg

P1000183.jpg

P1000185.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Good beginning:clapping: Was the automotive paint the can variety or did you use the standard application process with brush...??

Nice work! Good beginning:clapping: Was the automotive paint the can variety or did you use the standard application process with brush...??

Thanks Gopi. It was the can variety (A British brand named Bosny, made in Thailand). Still need to hone my painting skills. In all likelihood, I will be painting the final coat of polyurethane varnish with a brush in my next project.

Eventually, we intend to get the spraying gun and a compressor.

Last edited:
In continuation of my last post (#32).

In case someone wants to get started with wood finishing, here is the finishing material/equipment I used:

Left to right:

NC based filler
Paint brush
NC based sanding sealer
Putty knife (to apply the filler)
Sandpaper (lots of it, P200, P320, P400)
Automotive paint spray can
Denatured alcohol (used as thinner)

The process I used was:
Filler (not thinned, applied with putty knife) -> sand (P200/P320) -> Sealer (thinned, applied with brush) -> Sealer (thinned, applied with brush) -> Sand (P320) -> Sealer (thinned, applied with brush) -> Sand (P400) -> Spray paint

A word of caution though. I am not sure Acrylic (automotive paint) over a NC based sealer is a good idea. Even after 3 days of drying, the surface still picks up scratches. Probably the last time I am using Acrylic for finishing wood.

P1000213.jpg

Last edited:
The first real products of our carpentry shop: A pair of speaker stands made of leftover wood. The height is a little short for the Quad 11L2s but it was deliberate since I want to upgrade to bigger bookshelves in future. For now, I have placed the speakers on top of Auralex Speakerdude foam pads which also give it a 4 degree upward tilt.

The final coat of the five layer finish is acrylic automotive paint. I would have preferred polyurethane but we didn't have the place and equipment for spray painting.

I avoided staining the wood because I wanted it to look as if it has been made of scrap material. Unfortunately, the few people who have seen it don't seem to notice it. I take that as a compliment :)

P1000200.jpg

P1000182.jpg

P1000183.jpg

P1000185.jpg

I feel the stands have achieved the perfect look to compliment the room, all you need now is something to give a little character to the room by putting a large surface on the wall.

Hi sudhishkv,

I am a bit inspired by your thread and started to build a DVD rack. Thanks for your useful info here. On the same day I saw your thread, bought a 3x3 ft 12mm plywood and had it cut (near by wood work shop) into desired pieces. Last Saturday, built it (myself :)) as per the plan. Attaching few snaps. :))

photo(2).jpg

photo(3).jpg

Thanks
Siva

Nice one Shiva. All the best for the future projects.

I am working on the kitchen cabinets for my brother. Here is the initial pictures hope that will help you guys building your own kitchen cabinets. Will post more pictures to show the progress of the work latter.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back