HD projector or 52" TV.

mayur553

Hi guys

I am setting up a home theater.. i wanna know should i go for HD projector or a 52" tv... i was planning to use the Projector only for PS3 games and movies... but one of my friend told me that PS3 games wont be that much fun with a projector then on 52" tv...

also if i take a projector i am planning to take Optoma HD20...also i would be projecting on wall... so any suggestion on the wall color...

and the width of the projection would be 70-80" while height would be 45-55" 16:9 ratio... can't get a bigger projection coz dont have that much space...

along with that... i am planning to take onkyo 3300 HTS...

i am confused which DVD/Blu ray player(at reasonalble price) i should take to complement with my sound system... i thought i would use my PS3 for this but i dont wanna use to play random pirated CDs on that...

So now should i go for projector coz the image wont be much bigger than a 52" tv... though i am very excited about having a huge screen to play games and movie...

I have been using a projector for watching movies, it is like seeing heaven before death, watching movies via TV is like seeing ...

To project movies on a wall is like wearing a designer dress with slippers therefore please await the right budget and then pull the trigger via screen.

While there are many other factors which you have to consider.

V.

Last edited:
I dont know but I prefer a good projector over LCD because it gives a real cinematic experience of being in a Cinema hall.

if you talkin movies then projector over tv any day of the week and twice on sundays....

even a 52" tv is just that... a tv. yeah it might be a "big" tv but it still is a tv.

Go projector buddy... there's no turning back after that.... :)

also if i take a projector i am planning to take Optoma HD20...also i would be projecting on wall... so any suggestion on the wall color...

and the width of the projection would be 70-80" while height would be 45-55" 16:9 ratio... can't get a bigger projection coz dont have that much space...

HD20 does not have lens shift, so its position is fixed given a screen size. Since you have space constraints, you should verify whether the HD20 can placed correctly for you given the screen size.

Other than that movies and games on projector is no comparision to a 52" TV.

Hi guys

I am setting up a home theater.. i wanna know should i go for HD projector or a 52" tv... i was planning to use the Projector only for PS3 games and movies... but one of my friend told me that PS3 games wont be that much fun with a projector then on 52" tv...

along with that... i am planning to take onkyo 3300 HTS...

i am confused which DVD/Blu ray player(at reasonalble price) i should take to complement with my sound system... i thought i would use my PS3 for this but i dont wanna use to play random pirated CDs on that...

So now should i go for projector coz the image wont be much bigger than a 52" tv... though i am very excited about having a huge screen to play games and movie...

Well i was in the same boat as you and always wanted a bigger screen, so got myself a HD20 last year and its a great PJ and loved it.
But still you can't run the PJ all the time like a TV.

So i still felt that something was lacking and got myself a 58" tv.

Now i am satisfied with watching movies on PJ and regular HD stuff and TV series on my TV.

Well i was in the same boat as you and always wanted a bigger screen, so got myself a HD20 last year and its a great PJ and loved it.
But still you can't run the PJ all the time like a TV.

So i still felt that something was lacking and got myself a 58" tv.

Now i am satisfied with watching movies on PJ and regular HD stuff and TV series on my TV.

Hi Dushie

Can you brief me bout the cost and the setup cost too... and what all cables should install beforehand... if i want to connect it to my TV and my DVD player and my PS3 some or the other time... I was thinking to us AV reciver where in all would be connected at the same time using HDMI and i can play whichever device i want.. is it workable that way..

Ive picked up an Optoma HD 20, with a Dalite screen. I have a flat panel tv(smaller one) but for movie watching I dont think you can compare the two..Again, it's my point of view.

For Movie Watching experience a TV cannot even come near a Projector but when it comes to gaming then a TV at the budget level will win hands down due to the refresh rate of the images. At the budget level upto 10L I am yet to find a projector which is good with motion handling whereas a Plasma will never have that problem.
At the budget end of the Projectors they all suffer from slow refresh rates and due to which a fast moving image always creates blur. I am one person who is very sensitive to this issue so every time a fast moving image comes on the screen then I have no choice but to take my eyes off the screen. I have even noticed these problems in the best Movie Theatre.

If the split between regular TV watching and MOVIE watching is 70:30, viz
TV - mainly sports in HD, movies, news and serials = 70 % of the time, and
MOVIES - Bluray, DVD = 30 % of the time.
then what is the way to go ??????

In other words, can i completely ditch the regular LCD and buy only an HD projector to watch regular TV as well as Bluray/DVD movies ?????
I know that the projector bulb has a limited life span, but if changing the bulb is not an issue, can a projector be the ONLY medium ?????
Any other issues to consider ????

Hi Dushie

Can you brief me bout the cost and the setup cost too... and what all cables should install beforehand... if i want to connect it to my TV and my DVD player and my PS3 some or the other time... I was thinking to us AV reciver where in all would be connected at the same time using HDMI and i can play whichever device i want.. is it workable that way..

Well the HD 20 should cost under 60k if you can get it from abroad. In US it is costing around 1000$. I got mine from Amazon.

Mount should cost you anywhere between 2.5 to 5k.

HDMI cable plenty of brands are available starting from 8 k onwards.

Screen depending on size you can go for Grandview or Panoview, would cost between 8 to 12k.

HD 20 comes with 2 HDMI ports. So you can run 2 HDMI cables if required.

For my home setup i have composite , component and HDMI all 3 cables setup.

Getting a AV receiver is a good idea, spread your budget and then decide what all you want to buy.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back