hdmi for music

nandac

do any two channel amps and cd players support hdmi?

hdmi sound puts digital (co-ax) and standard analog sound in the shade.

CDP --> HDMI --> Amp would be useful only if the amp has got better DACs than the CDP. Most 2 channel amps dont have DACs, I think. AVRs always have DACs, but then they are not as good as 2 channel amps for music.

Same would be the logic for digital co-ax/optical, since so far as 2 channel is concerned, digital co-ax/optical output is equal to HDMI output. Both carry the exact same digital stream.

CDP --> Most 2 channel amps dont have DACs, I think. .

You are right by saying MOST. As VERY FEW 2 CHANNEL amps have onboard dac and digital inputs.
The 2 channel brands I know having Optical and Co axial Inputs
Sansui
Sony
Pioneer
Technics (Pre Amp)
Yamaha ( Vintage Pre)

Modenn

Harman Kardon
Peachtree Nova
Onkyo

Teac has some amps/ all in ones with built in DAC ,Optical,Co Ax and USB Ins ,even with wi- fi too!
\

do any two channel amps and cd players support hdmi?

hdmi sound puts digital (co-ax) and standard analog sound in the shade.

There is another way-
PC HDMI out > HDMI in AVR> AVR preout> Stereoamp
here AVR should have better DACs(may be yamaha 667/Denon 2310)

A HDMI cable can carry both regular S/PDIF output and also high definition audio. When you are playing from a CD or a regular DVD, you are only going to use the S/PDIF audio bandwidth. So if you are using a CD as a source, there is no real point in using HDMI. This should explain why almost no standalone CD players are available in the market with HDMI output. You are better off using a coax or a optical cable to connect to your AVR, DAC or Amp. If you want HDMI output from Audio CDs, then a HDMI DVD player or a BluRay player will do the job.

Now if your source is a computer with HDMI output, but which does not have a regular coax/optical digital output, then you can get a convertor that allows you to extract the S/PDIF audio signals from the HDMI and pass it on as a regular digital audio to a AVR/DAC/Amp. A lot of TVs with HDMI have this feature.

-- no1lives4ever

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back