HDMI over CAT 5/6 cable......

sam9s

Friends

Has anybody done an HDMI connection over CAT 5/6 cable. I just need to know few details like, which kit was used and where could it be available.....

Regards
Sammy

Friends

Has anybody done an HDMI connection over CAT 5/6 cable. I just need to know few details like, which kit was used and where could it be available.....

Regards
Sammy

Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage in using CAT 5 / 6 cables for HDMI instead of the standard HDMI cables?

Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage in using CAT 5 / 6 cables for HDMI instead of the standard HDMI cables?

As reddymail said, cat5 is damm cheap as compared to HDMI for a particular distance, plus HDMI looses signal after 4,5 meters I suppose, thats where CAT5 comes in to play. Extenders are expensive, that is what I want to know if the over cost of running cat5 in my House comes lesser than other alternatives.....

Last edited:
BUMP ... No one other than reddymail tried this, the more I read about this online the more logical this approch looks......

I had no clue that this was possible. Some links on these products would be appreciated. By extenders, do you mean repeaters?

Also, have a question about Cat5/6 cables? Can these be run outdoors? Do we need to take any precaution - conduit, watertight etc? I have such a requirement, hence the question.

Thanks in advance!!

Our company has a solution for HDMI over Cat 5 solutions and as it has already been discussed in this thread that it helps in reducing the cost of the cable where we have to run it for a long length.

Our company has a solution for HDMI over Cat 5 solutions and as it has already been discussed in this thread that it helps in reducing the cost of the cable where we have to run it for a long length.

Yea yea we know now you have a company....:D ..... Anyway where is the site, or any link where I can check the product you are offering for HDMI over CAT5/6

BTW ashish whats the current cost of CAT 6 per foot these days....any idea....??

Last edited:
I had no clue that this was possible. Some links on these products would be appreciated. By extenders, do you mean repeaters?

Also, have a question about Cat5/6 cables? Can these be run outdoors? Do we need to take any precaution - conduit, watertight etc? I have such a requirement, hence the question.

Thanks in advance!!

Yes that is fairly possible, I knew this for quite a while but, never ventured in to this in detail.........There are products like Trippl Lite, Atlona that have the provision for the same. By extenders I mean adapters that convert the signals. usually we have a complete small kit that has these extenders/boosters at each end of the path, with an HDMI plug. The ends are connectec with cat5/6 cable. You just need to plug in the source (AVR) and destination (HDTV) and thats it.

There are no special requirments as such, but conducts are always good, like I would be running CAT 6 cables all across my house with conduit as the entire wiring would be in wall.

The following video explains it all

YouTube - Extend HDMI signals over Cat 5 / 6 cables with Tripp Lite

Yea yea we know now you have a company....:D ..... Anyway where is the site, or any link where I can check the product you are offering for HDMI over CAT5/6

BTW ashish whats the current cost of CAT 6 per foot these days....any idea....??

The company website you can check out at Lakozy Electronics & Services
but since this is a customised solution so you won't find it there. The cat 6 cable is avaliable for 5K for a 305Meter roll.

Bumping up the thread in 2018! Does anyone use HDMI extenders over cat6 Ethernet cables in their setup ? I had a few questions.

I want to connect my PC as an input to my TV/projector. Both are in different rooms. Do the HDMI extenders work reliably ? I'm talking about an effective distance of 40 feet or so ( since the cat6 wiring is in the walls, accommodating for that ). Also what's the best resolution I can expect ( 1080p or 4k ? ). Do I need to get the powered HDMI extenders or the non-powered ones. Also, if there was an unmanaged Ethernet switch in between, would the extender still work ?

I mean PC->hdmi cable->extender ->cat6 cable -> ethernet switch ->cat6 cable ->extender ->TV

Thanks for the help in advance!

I am in the same dilemma. I have put 50 feet HDMI cable as well as CAT 6 cable across two rooms so that i can split the signal. Wondering whether to go for HDMI or CAT 6. Also any pointers to a good quality HDMI splitter (Not the generic one found on Amazon).?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back