Hello! Buying Wharf 9.1 + Norge 1k, need advice on CDp

audophile123

Hi Everyone,

After trolling through the forum for a week, I'm finally making my first post.

After going through (the exhaustive) threads on entry-level speakers, I spent a couple of hours at Vector (Bangalore) today, and must say that Lokesh's service and attitude are behaviours I'd like to see replicated across the retail industry.

I tried the following combos:
1) Wharfedale 9.1 & 9.2 with Norge 2060 - the 9.1s sounded tinny, especially on the high notes (I took a Rahat Fateh Ali Khan CD), and the 9.2 was much "deeper".

2) Wharfedale 9.1 & 9.2 with Norge 1000 - this one just blew me away; I didn't realise changing the amp would make such a difference. The 1000 gave a new life to the 9.1s, and I felt the difference between the 9.1s & the 9.2s shrink with this one.

3) Wharfedale Vardus with Norge 1000 - these are "budget" FS and cost about 20k, and they had a very dynamic base (reproduced the beats on 'dhaage tod laao' perfectly). However, I felt they lacked the soul or warmth of the 9.1s & 9.2s.

I've more or less decided to buy the 9.1 + Norge 100 combo. So if you've read thus far, please advise me on:

1. CD Player - I can't bring myself to spend Rs.20k on one, any suggestions under 15k?

2. Speaker stands for the 9.1s - Vector has a decent pair for 4.5k. Any other alternatives?

3. Wires & interconnects - totally clueless here

If it helps, my set-up is for pure audio only, in an L-shaped hall with an area of ~350sqft.

Hi,

For CDP try Marantz CD 5004, the succesor to CD 5003, which I am having, it will dig all details in the CD, it can play MP3 also.

N.Murali

Thanks Murali!

Baiju, I did look at the GroupBuy, and am considering the 6003. However, any suggestions about a decent sub-15k CD player would still be welcome.

Also, any advice about cables / interconnects and speaker stands available in Bangalore?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back