Help! - Compare Polk RTi A7 to Jamo S 606 to Wharfedale Diamond 9.6

tubelight99

Hi,
We are considering setting up a decent 7.1 Home Theater in our new house and have already invested in the new Panasonic PT AE 4000U HD Projector. We are now looking to pick the audio components and have been recommended the following combinations (our room size is approx 23'x14').

1. Denon 2310 AVR with Polk Audio RTi A7 FS + Polk CS10 (center) + Polk FXi A4 (Surround)
2. Denon 1910 AVR + Jamo Studio Series S 606 Tower Package
3. Denon 1910 ACR + Jamo Concert Series C 405 Tower Package
4. Marantz SR6003 + Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Tower FS + Diamond 9cm (Center) + Diamond 9DFS (Surround)

We havent heard all the above combinations but the Denon 2310 + Polk RTi A7 sounded very good. We are not technical enough to understand the minutest differences but love watching English and Hindi movies. Please recommend what would suit that best. Specifically, would like to hear about the best speaker performance in the above as well the AVR comparison between the Denon 2310 and the Marantz 6003.

Thanks.....

Hi,
We are considering setting up a decent 7.1 Home Theater in our new house and have already invested in the new Panasonic PT AE 4000U HD Projector. We are now looking to pick the audio components and have been recommended the following combinations (our room size is approx 23'x14').

1. Denon 2310 AVR with Polk Audio RTi A7 FS + Polk CS10 (center) + Polk FXi A4 (Surround)
2. Denon 1910 AVR + Jamo Studio Series S 606 Tower Package
3. Denon 1910 ACR + Jamo Concert Series C 405 Tower Package
4. Marantz SR6003 + Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Tower FS + Diamond 9cm (Center) + Diamond 9DFS (Surround)

We havent heard all the above combinations but the Denon 2310 + Polk RTi A7 sounded very good. We are not technical enough to understand the minutest differences but love watching English and Hindi movies. Please recommend what would suit that best. Specifically, would like to hear about the best speaker performance in the above as well the AVR comparison between the Denon 2310 and the Marantz 6003.

Thanks.....

I have the Denon 1910 with Polk RTi speakers, and am very happy with it.

Have not audiotioned Jamo or Wharfdale.

Just a note on Polk - its better to buy all the speakers from the same series so that they are tonally matched. The CS10 is from their monitor series. For RTi you should get the CSi A4/6.

What I would reccomend :
1. Denon 2310 with Polk Audio RTi A7 FS + Polk CSi A6 (center) + Polk FXi A6 (Surround)

or

2. Denon 1910 AVR + Polk RTi A3 + Polk CSi A4 (center) + Polk FXi A4 (surround) - this is what I have.

I have combo #2.

I have demoed combo #1 and it is amazing.

Thanks Argho, sounds reassuring. I am leaning towards that as well. Thanks for pointing out that we should go with the CSi A4/6, thats what was recommended, I had this incorrectly posted......

Hey,

I have auditioned to :-

Marantz 6003 with Jamo C405 and Denon 1910 with Jamo C405. Both are excellent.

personally, i liked the Marantz 6003 out of the two.

yes - keep the centers and surrounds from the same family as the fronts.

The RTi A7 is in a different league as compared to the Studio series of Jamo.

My post may seem confusing but carry atleast 5 discs of your own of various music types you normally listen to ( excellent recording quality ), listen to them and decide based on your budget and your ears.

mpw

I am running the same setup which you are planning on but here I am running the same through my Onkyo 905. RtiA7 are very good speakers but they also need a lot of free space to perform optimally. These speakers have 1x1" soft dome tweater, 1x6.5" mid woofer and 2x7" woofer cones. You can find the best results with these speakers by adding an external power amp or bi-amping the same through Denon 2310. If and only if your room size is on the larger to medium size then go with these speakers otherwise they would boom a lot in smaller rooms. Also these speakers needs atleast 300 - 400 hours to run in so expect a change in their sound signature after the run in time. They are much better than Jamo S606 or even Wharfedale 9.6.

Your room size can do with fronts like diamond 9.5/ MA BR5/ Kef IQ5 etc. These would do well for a decent HT - with a good enough sub like SW150. Do try to audition the MA Bronze series as well as the Kef IQ. From your shortlist, however, my pick would be in the reverse order 9.6 > S606 > RTi A7. Polk ime never sounded as fine and detailed as others; although it might impress with its big and bold sound (and looks) - which may be good for movies.

Between Marantz and Denon, for HT purposes, Denon is better than Marantz imo.

Happy auditions.

Your room size can do with fronts like diamond 9.5/ MA BR5/ Kef IQ5 etc. These would do well for a decent HT - with a good enough sub like SW150. Do try to audition the MA Bronze series as well as the Kef IQ. From your shortlist, however, my pick would be in the reverse order 9.6 > S606 > RTi A7. Polk ime never sounded as fine and detailed as others; although it might impress with its big and bold sound (and looks) - which may be good for movies.

Between Marantz and Denon, for HT purposes, Denon is better than Marantz imo.

Happy auditions.

I have found that that the Polk's sound changes significantly after burn in. Initially they sounded to bright / sharp / shrill (don't know the right term). But now (after a month of usage), my Polks sound wonderful - clear and smooth.

The Diamond 9.6 is by far the better speaker as compared to the other two. The RTi A7s are not as brittle or sharp sounding as their predecessors. But they certainly dont have as much clarity and musicality as the Diamonds.

But I wonder whether the 9.6 is still available. I thought the 10 series might be in vogue now.

Also has the choice been restricted to just these options or can we attempt to confuse you some more?:). As suggested by somebody here, the C405 is a far better speaker than all the three being discussed. The Concert series is a very good line of speakers from Jamo. In my opinion they just dont have good showroom setups. At least that is the case here in Chennai.

Back