Help in choosing a 5.1 setup

Home cinema folks does not have PB-2000 in stock or on demo. They have only SB-2000 and PB-3000 in stock. :(

Any other place to audition the SVS Subs ?
Why don’t you audition the subs they have for demo first. See what you like and don’t like in the subs they have for audition. And also the sub performance will differ at your place compared to the demo for sure.

Do you think that the QB12 is bad ? Well, I did audition the entire pack (different AVR) and it was quite good I guess (I am quite certain that my judgement would be worthless in this matter, still :p). It did have good reviews (very few though) and supposedly merges/supports the other 3000i series speakers very well. Will the SVS PB/SB1000 be a huge upgrade ?

From my judgement, both the qb12 and svs 1000 series will sound more or less same at your place considering your room size with pb1000 giving you slightly more extension, which you may not notice Unless you hear it side by side.

My recommendation would be to consider atleast svs 2000 series or higher.

Do consider Klipsch 15" sub, what @Love4sound has recommended.

But in the end, do plan for dual subs, maybe in future if not now.

Also take in to account sizes of each sub. Ported subs are bigger in sizes and require some planning for their location, especially if you decide to go dual later on in future.

So you may decide on a sub, which you can afford and locate when you decide to go dual, specially if movie is your primary consumption.

Why don’t you audition the subs they have for demo first. See what you like and don’t like in the subs they have for audition. And also the sub performance will differ at your place compared to the demo for sure.

I managed to audition these :

1) SB-2000 - I don't know how to put this, but I liked that the driver did not "vibrate unnecessarily" and stopped "abruptly". :p This was particularly noticeable when playing music with "bassy" beats. I guess this is what is described as being "tight and accurate".

2) XTZ 12.17 Edge - This was calibrated for the room and was niceeeee. :) Movies were great but I could feel that little bit of "boomyness", but I guess that's just because I was doing a side-by-side comparison with the SB-2000.

3) PB-2000 - Well, some content played very well. The Jurassic Park scene where the T-Rex comes out of its pen - was underwhelming (at least when compared to the XTZ 12.17 Edge). Now, I don't think it's a fair comparison though. The PB-2000 was not available and they arranged a sold unit for me after getting permission from the owner. So it was not calibrated for the room and maybe not placed very well either.

Overall, even though I loved the sealed sub, I am inclined towards the ported one as I would be using the HT mostly for movies and not music (and now that I know the difference after auditioning them). :) And if I do get a PB-2000, when my wife kicks me out of the bedroom, I could easily sleep on top of it. :p

The XTZ 12.17 Edge has a rated RMS power of 700W, PB-2000 at 500W and PB-2000 Pro at 550W. How big of a consideration is this ?

From my judgement, both the qb12 and svs 1000 series will sound more or less same at your place considering your room size with pb1000 giving you slightly more extension, which you may not notice Unless you hear it side by side.

My recommendation would be to consider atleast svs 2000 series or higher.

Do consider Klipsch 15" sub, what @Love4sound has recommended.

But in the end, do plan for dual subs, maybe in future if not now.

Also take in to account sizes of each sub. Ported subs are bigger in sizes and require some planning for their location, especially if you decide to go dual later on in future.

So you may decide on a sub, which you can afford and locate when you decide to go dual, specially if movie is your primary consumption.

Sure. Thanks for the input. :) I need to get approval from "high command". :p

I managed to audition these :

1) SB-2000 - I don't know how to put this, but I liked that the driver did not "vibrate unnecessarily" and stopped "abruptly". :p This was particularly noticeable when playing music with "bassy" beats. I guess this is what is described as being "tight and accurate".

2) XTZ 12.17 Edge - This was calibrated for the room and was niceeeee. :) Movies were great but I could feel that little bit of "boomyness", but I guess that's just because I was doing a side-by-side comparison with the SB-2000.

3) PB-2000 - Well, some content played very well. The Jurassic Park scene where the T-Rex comes out of its pen - was underwhelming (at least when compared to the XTZ 12.17 Edge). Now, I don't think it's a fair comparison though. The PB-2000 was not available and they arranged a sold unit for me after getting permission from the owner. So it was not calibrated for the room and maybe not placed very well either.

Overall, even though I loved the sealed sub, I am inclined towards the ported one as I would be using the HT mostly for movies and not music (and now that I know the difference after auditioning them). :) And if I do get a PB-2000, when my wife kicks me out of the bedroom, I could easily sleep on top of it. :p

The XTZ 12.17 Edge has a rated RMS power of 700W, PB-2000 at 500W and PB-2000 Pro at 550W. How big of a consideration is this ?

Sure. Thanks for the input. :) I need to get approval from "high command". :p
For me I always prefer the xtz 12.17 or the edge compared to the pb 2000. It is not only more powerful it has 3 equalisers and 3 port tuning options to calibrate it better to our liking. I have the xtz 10.17 and for movies it is a beast. Also compared to pb 2000 it is not big which is aesthetically pleasing. The boominess that you heard can easily be controlled using eq1 in the xtz which is used to lower the bass extension due to room gain. But now they have increased the price very high and I don’t think it is the right price for it. Before the 12.17 edge costed 85k with discounts and had a Mrp of 92k but now it has a mrp of 1.12L which is to much. The only value for money sub in xtz now is the 10.17 where the price hasn’t increased much as it is available for 65k-67k with discounts. If you liked the pb2000 don’t worry about the 500 watts vs 700 watts. The pb2000 should be good enough. Another sub you can check is the rythmik lvx12. It should cost you 85-90k with discounts. It’s a 12 inch 400 watts subwoofer

Also, let's say I managed to get one of these woofers, will it stand out compared to the Q Acoustics speakers in any way ? :)
It will largely depend on your room, subwoofer location, room eq and how you set it up.

I guess, you will be starting another thread for it....ha ha..

Since you would be getting a good sub, why not consider bookshelves speakers for your fronts and surrounds and put the money saved on subs.
Is QA 3030i available?. But with bookshelves, you need to factor in stands also. I am also sure, 3010i will work well for your surrounds....just my thoughts...

Happy hunting...

Cheers
Siju

For me I always prefer the xtz 12.17 or the edge compared to the pb 2000. It is not only more powerful it has 3 equalisers and 3 port tuning options to calibrate it better to our liking. I have the xtz 10.17 and for movies it is a beast. Also compared to pb 2000 it is not big which is aesthetically pleasing. The boominess that you heard can easily be controlled using eq1 in the xtz which is used to lower the bass extension due to room gain. But now they have increased the price very high and I don’t think it is the right price for it. Before the 12.17 edge costed 85k with discounts and had a Mrp of 92k but now it has a mrp of 1.12L which is to much. The only value for money sub in xtz now is the 10.17 where the price hasn’t increased much as it is available for 65k-67k with discounts. If you liked the pb2000 don’t worry about the 500 watts vs 700 watts. The pb2000 should be good enough. Another sub you can check is the rythmik lvx12. It should cost you 85-90k with discounts. It’s a 12 inch 400 watts subwoofer

Mmmm. The dealer at Home Cinema (great guy btw), also suggested the svs 2000 pro series. Gives a lot of control options. Well, now that I have at least decided for a ported woofer, I think its just a matter of how much money I wanna spend. Lemme see. :)

Reiterating a question :) :

"Also, let's say I managed to get one of these woofers, will it stand out compared to the Q Acoustics speakers in any way ?"

Mmmm. The dealer at Home Cinema (great guy btw), also suggested the svs 2000 pro series. Gives a lot of control options. Well, now that I have at least decided for a ported woofer, I think its just a matter of how much money I wanna spend. Lemme see. :)

Reiterating a question :) :

"Also, let's say I managed to get one of these woofers, will it stand out compared to the Q Acoustics speakers in any way ?"
I don’t get your question. What you mean stand out compared to speakers ?

It will largely depend on your room, subwoofer location, room eq and how you set it up.

Since you would be getting a good sub, why not consider bookshelves speakers for your fronts and surrounds and put the money saved on subs.
Is QA 3030i available?. But with bookshelves, you need to factor in stands also. I am also sure, 3010i will work well for your surrounds....just my thoughts...

Happy hunting...

Cheers
Siju

:D

Lets say I managed to calibrate everything well, I was just wondering if the big subs would stand out acoustically over the Q Acoustics speakers (which, as I understand, a good sub will not. It would rather support the rest of the pack). If I do get one of these subs, it would end up being the most expensive piece in the pack. :D

Please checkout the question I just asked Siju. I have hopefully rephrased the question well enough. :)
Ok got it. You need to calibrate the sub to blend with your speakers. You can go for any big and powerful sub irrespective of what speakers you get.

:D

Lets say I managed to calibrate everything well, I was just wondering if the big subs would stand out acoustically over the Q Acoustics speakers (which, as I understand, a good sub will not. It would rather support the rest of the pack). If I do get one of these subs, it would end up being the most expensive piece in the pack. :D
If you are able to achieve it, sub won't stand out. If you are able to make out the sub location in a blind listen test, you can still better your setup/calibration.

Cheers

Pls remember as Siju has said that the ported subs are big and heavy to move whichever brand you get. You may need to factor for its size and placement too.
A very important factor which made me change my decision at the nick of time.
In the future may downsize even more at least in my case to avoid back issues.

Happy hunting...

Cheers
Siju

Forgot to answer rest of the questions. :D

Another thread... Most probably yes. :p

I did not see the 3020i listed anywhere. And I guess I'll go with the towers - I am not sure if what I am about to say makes sense, but I was thinking that for music, I might use just the towers (I don't listen to that bass heavy music anyway). And I guess, more importantly, I have already visualized a pair of towers right next the TV. :p

Pls remember as Siju has said that the ported subs are big and heavy to move whichever brand you get. You may need to factor for its size and placement too.

Yeah. I saw my wife's eyes pop out when she saw the PB-2000 :p Well, mine did too. Anyhow, in my current place, I should be able to manage. I am a little worried about the future though. :)

Again, all this only matters if I get a good enough deal that does not overshoot my budget by a huge margin. :)

Forgot to answer rest of the questions. :D

Another thread... Most probably yes. :p

I did not see the 3020i listed anywhere. And I guess I'll go with the towers - I am not sure if what I am about to say makes sense, but I was thinking that for music, I might use just the towers (I don't listen to that bass heavy music anyway). And I guess, more importantly, I have already visualized a pair of towers right next the TV. :p
Okay...you are referring to 3030i right.

I have personally experienced 3050i and can vouch for its vocals and pinpoint centre imaging. The only thing I did not liked about it was it's stand. It's clumsy and the provided rubber sleeve makes it to wobble a bit on concrete floors. I had to purchase additional metal spike rest for it.

What avr would you be using?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back